Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Jimi Hendrix - Live in Maui CD/Blu-Ray is now in the 3 for 2 sale on Amazon. I just ordered it. :)

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

Maybe the overdubbed drums replaced the original drums on the multitrack, which would mean a new mix with the original drums on those songs is now not possible.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  3. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Maidenpriest, post: 25506078, IMO they should have just had the unfutz with gig on two Cd's and a third Cd containing the overdubbed versions as bonus tracks, but knowing EH's history they will probably have a better sounding definite version to release in the future[/QUOTE]
    +1
    That's what I'd have preferred (and already posted;), too.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  4. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

Interesting observation. Sounds convincing to me.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I can't read 500 word sentences, thanks for the extract.

EVOLVIST and Greenblues like this.
  6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Well I just A/Bed "Hey Baby" set 1 from the Bob Terry tape to the 2020 official version and Kramer definitely worked on the vocals. The vocals are slightly more clear and forward on the official release. On the Terry tape they sound more distant and "muddy". The overdubbed drums also sound a bit more pronounced as does Billy's bass (but only slightly so IMO) on the official release as well. I agree that overall, the differences between the two sources aren't huge and that the Terry tape overall is a nice listen. I wouldn't be surprised if the bulk of Kramer's efforts on the official release were spent on "fixing" the vocal tracks as best as he could.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Ok, that was funny :)!

DTK likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No.

Not having heard the multitracks but seeing some of the film, my guess is the reason the vocal doesn't sound better is because there's likely significant bleed from the guitar amps and to some extent the drums. The amount of foam on the vocal mic meant Hendrix couldn't get as close to it as would normally be the case, and because of that his vocal wouldn't be as loud in comparison to the leakage. Applying lots of compression in the mix to even it out would emphasize the bleed even more.

9. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I'm just happy that it isn't brickwalled after the EL 2.0 nightmare in the box set.

Roberto899, DTK and jhm like this.
  10. I wonder if Jimi was alive today if he'd be disappointed to have made it as far as 78.

You know the old saying: "If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." :)

I know that might seem like an odd thing to say, but I find that Jimi was fascinated by death.

Well, whatever, nobody can say for certain.

Without drawing any hidden meaning from it (as I'm sure there is none), I've always found that the coincidence of Hendrix being born on the 27th and dying at 27 to be interesting.

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yeah, we get it! The horse is already dead. Stop beating it :)

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That is very true. Someone tampered with that EL set.

I hope they keep using the folks under Bernie Grundman’s roof. They have done a great job,

13. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

And just today I finished reading Tony Brown's Jimi Hendrix : The Last Days.

dryjoy likes this.
  14. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

What did you think? I have that book and a sort of thin and expensive book on the same topic by Caesar Glebeek. They each hint at quite opposing conclusions. That night seems so shrouded in contradictory evidence and myth, it’s difficult to reach any clear point of view about what went on.

I’ve come to believe that some of the contradictory and unclear witness statements are the result of people adjusting or fabricating their stories to avoid incriminating themselves. I don’t mean in the sense of a big murder conspiracy or anything like that, I firmly believe Hendrix’s death was an accident as a result of his own carelessness, but I think certain individuals were present, clearing the scene of some items before the ambulance was called.

15. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

+1

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

The fact that Jimi was rushed into the Casualty/Emergencies ward says it all. That is only done with patients that are in a critical situation (or has passed away in the previous 10 to 20 mins max - i.e. in the ambulance). I don't believe that the clean-up happened while Jimi lay there gasping for breath.

17. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Back on topic.....viewing the blu ray a bit today......one of the hard things for me, and we all knew this would be a thing with the overdubbed drums, is the frequency with which what Mitch is doing on screen just doesn’t at all match what the audio is doing.

Understandably, they kind of had to do the drum overdubs, and while I appreciate they did do them, just kind of distracting as a viewer to have them not match. Know it would have been very difficult and time consuming for Mitch to re-learn parts that he mostly improvised on the spot and do it with the right feel, but yeaaahahhh kind of distracting.

18. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Who knows if there was ever an expectation for a re-release either?

19. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Very true. At the time, they probably just thought to make it sound as good as it could and that was that. The booklet makes no bones about their view of the film as a footnote in Jimi’s career had he lived. Even after his passing, there was probably no thought about returning to it at any point, just get it done and over with.

I listened to the album thru my Fire stick via Amazon Music, it sounded pretty good on my old Panasonic Tv. Still have to watch the Blu.

ChazFromCali likes this.
  20. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Oh totally agree - not like at the time anyone could have thought at the time that we’d get to where we are today with releasing full video and audio content of all that’s left of what live stuff we have of Hendrix.

kind of is what it is and I do totally appreciate the release for what it is - still waiting on Royal Albert hall.....that one, just knowing they are holding it back due to “legal issues” or whatever is silly. We know they have it in the can, audio has all been remixed by Eddie Kramer for that one time they showed it last year, and it’s just ready to go....set it free!

davies54 likes this.
  21. TheWalrusWasPaul

TheWalrusWasPaul Forum Resident

It's because Hendrix is almost literally singing through a pillow to get to the mic. This affects the frequencies captured as well as the overall sound quality. I doubt there was much they could do.

Purple Jim, dee and ChazFromCali like this.
  22. dee

dee Senior Member

I've only heard cd1 1st set so far. Maybe four times through during the past few days. I feel thankful. The sustained musical creativity and intensity in the playing etc. transcends any and all recording and mixing challenges and practicalities for me when I listen and enjoy hearing an electric guitar played like that, as it is, along with those songs, and the drumming, and bass guitar support. Pointless for me to try to pontificate about that much more.
    Fwiw I'm good with the vocals not being louder in most or all of those first set mixes. As a fan and listener, I'm very pleased with the music and sound. The only thing I changed was going back to the concert setlist sequence. I don't have an audio patch for the start of Hey Baby New Rising Sun and haven't actually put the right sequence to disc yet and accounted for some of the seconds inbetween necessary for the song reshuffle. But I'm not going to worry about that either. I thought about doing a fade-up for the first 10 to 15 or so seconds of Hey Baby for kicks as I think they have it starting a tad too abruptly but again, no big deal. The big deal to me is how much I enjoy what I've heard of the concert.

vegafleet, KipB, harmonica98 and 4 others like this.
  23. Purple Jim

More like shouting through a pillow. This gives the gig a sort strained feel unfortunately.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  24. Purple Jim

Easily remedied: just watch Jimi.:D

vudicus and Fox67 like this.
  25. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

is that video a different edit to the new current released one?