Jimi Hendrix: Maui 1970...??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by weavzy, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I think if anything the Electric Ladyland 50th set would be next. Then let's see...February 2019...anything happen around 50 years earlier? Since that one's NOT going to happen, maybe Maui would be my annual Lenten taunt (every year, I give up buying or even acquiring digital media in any form for Lent, and every year something I really want comes out in March).

2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

it is my understanding that all the mics failed on the drums except one Overhead mic.

3. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The problem seems to be that very little of Mitch's cymbals were captured on tape. It's relatively easy to use samples to fix simple hits on snare, kick, tom-tom or even hi-hat, but as far as i know, it's pretty much impossible to fix squashing cymbals or crashing rides. And of course, Mitch played a lot, which doesn't make it any easier.

Just check out the recent The Doors Live at the Isle of Wight and see how weird it can get.

nbadge likes this.
  4. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Yeah, i remember that quote from "Setting the Record Straight". But listening to the circulating tapes, it's pretty clear that the kick drum and snare were recorded, but the overheads were not!

5. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Interesting strategy, there :agree:

6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Depending on what that one mic picked up, if that's what happened, something could be done.

7. I have the audience and soundboard recordings of these shows, some of my favorite from 1970. I don't know what EH can do to improve the tapes but I'd like them to take a shot.

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think they only said that they were preparing a "documentary" film. If that is the case, it'll be the usual talking heads type of thing with a few tracks punctuating it all. Let's hope that a bonus section/disc will featuring everything that they have in its best possible form.

kees1954 likes this.
  9. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I think I remember them talking about this since the Sony switch, so hopefully they've prepared it by now. :)

But that's a great idea: do something similar to the Band of Gypsys and Woodstock DVDs and include everything they got as bonus. I don't think there's enough to do a whole set presentation like Isle of Wight, Monterey or Atlanta. However, I didn't think there was other video *ahem* out there, but I found it.

Purple Jim likes this.
  10. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Lucky Mud Traveling Medicine Show was excellent. They wrote and played their own music: a little acoustic, some rock and plenty of country. My lady Pati asked me, “Where have they been hiding?” “Lucky Mud” have been living in Hawaii since June 1st, but are from San Francisco. This was the first time we had heard them…hope there will be many more.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience came on next and we were really ready. Joints were being passed all around us. Hendrix seemed ready too. He was in a much better mood than last year’s Waikiki Shell performance. Unfortunately the sound system wasn’t. From where I was sitting (middle front) all you could hear when Jimi was powering his guitar was just his guitar. Maybe Hendrix plans it that way, but if he does - it’s sure a big waste of talent in Mitch Mitchell and bassman Billy Cox. I was hoping it was only the first song but it lasted through the whole show, hearing Mitch only when Hendrix was playing soft (a rarity) and during his solo (fantastic - wasn’t it?). We had a little better luck hearing Billy Cox. He was only silenced when Hendrix was on a heavy power riff.

Well, you may say, “His guitar was the only thing I came for,” then I’m sure you really enjoyed the concert because his guitar was right on. But we feel Jimi’s voice adds a lot to the sound and that too was only heard when he wasn’t on one of his power trips. All ’n’ all it was still a fine concert with Hendrix really getting it together for the standing ovation.
    - Ken Rosene, The Honolulu Advertiser - August 10, 1970

kees1954 likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think a Maui release has been in the works for awhile. It appeared it might receive an official release last year. EH likes their CD/DVD packages and Maui fits within that theme.

12. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

The Maui set has been planned for a long time, pre Sony in fact.

It'll no doubt see release next year. As to the format, all we know about it is, a documentary and maybe it'll stay like that simply to "protect" the interest! I have heard nothing of a CD/Vinyl release so the music content will be included in the documentary, edited?

13. DarylB

DarylB Forum Resident

I hope to hear an announcement of this coming out soon!Such great gigs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.