Jimi Hendrix SACD coming from Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Not a chance with 5.1's for AYE or ABAL for various reasons.

Lownote30 likes this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

You have this release [ABAL SACD] John?

I always appreciate your input so would welcome the comments.

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Gordon, I think it's a great release. I'm CD, DVD and Blu-ray only - no SACD. Well mastered with minimal to no compression and no usage of NoNoise, together with usage of something closer to (or the actual) master tape being used. It's how it should have been done years ago. Bring on the whole core catalogue remastered, I say. Ordered this through Import CDs - not as expensive as your UK estimate IIRC.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Cant wait for AYE. Hope the mono sounds good.

Of course, that will have to be 2CDs.

5. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

So is there in fact a CD only version of this coming out? Or was that just baseless conjecture?

6. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Any word on the AYE sacd yet ?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I don't know if it was baseless, but nothing's been confirmed. I doubt they would do anything in the near future (even if a standard release was planned) so as to not committ with the SACD.

8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Bernie G has been the Hendrix mastering engineer for a number of the regular releases from EH, so I imagine that the next CD release of Axis will use his skills as well.

George P and jhm like this.
  9. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The SACD is a hybrid, so there already is a BG cd version.

dobyblue and George P like this.
  11. Lownote30

My response was referring to the possibility of a CD only release that is put out by Sony rather than an audiophile label. I own the SACD. I know it's a hybrid. It's a specialty release, though. It's not the official regular version of Axis.

Gordon Johnson and jhm like this.
  12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

At least they're still pretty consistently supporting the format with their hardware including the PlayStation (original PS3s played SACD and I think all 4s do?) and their various Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray players. Their X800 even supported DVD-Audio!

PhantomStranger and Lownote30 like this.
  13. Lownote30

My Sony Blu-Ray player is a universal player. It was pretty cheap, too. I never thought I'd see the day that a Sony player supported DVD-A!

dobyblue likes this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

Indeed, but I was referencing the actual format not the playback device!

Sony and quite a few other manufacturers make blueray players available that can handle SACD / DSD. Along with a multitude of other format options. The more you pay, the more you get.

And then we also get options on inputs / outputs for all manner of things from audio out for two channel thru' to surround sound, HDMI [sometimes two different types], again the more you want to spend the more like Christmas it becomes.

15. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

No, this is new. Last week I ordered from them (shipping to UK) - no VAT added. This week - 20% VAT added! Unless its a bug on their website, everything just got 20% more expensive. :(

16. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

But it is Bernie Grundman remastering eevery time isn’t it?

17. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't know but I have had CDs of his that were compressed, like the Michael Jackson remasters for example. So I think it depends on the label as much as it does on the person mastering the disc, sadly.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  18. Slickvic

Slickvic Member

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

So, these are the tracks that we won't be getting on the new Are You Experienced SACD:

"Stone Free"
    "51st Anniversary"
    "Highway Chile"
    "Can You See Me"
    "Remember"
    "Red House"

On digital, Stone Free has never been released with it's original mono mix correct? Just fake stereo.

Do 51st Anniversary and Highway Chile ever had original stereo mixes, or just mono?

Any where can you get the original mono mix of Can You See Me digitally?

Any where can you get the original stereo mix of Remember digitally? It's mono on the old Polydor CD.

20. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

There is a stereo mix of Highway Chile that came out on the purple box in 2000, but it was previously unreleased.

They will still need to do a SACD for both versions of Smash Hits so we can get as much of that cleaned up as we can. Whether or not they can or will depends on the tapes.

marcfeld69 and Galley like this.
  21. randian

randian Forum Resident

I don't see Hybrid SACD and Blu-ray as competition. It's unlikely the SACD buyer would seriously consider the BD, and vice versa. Unfortunately EH might not see it that way.

22. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

EH has now dove into both SACR and Blu Ray

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  23. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

What a bizarre comment.

This SACD buyer is also a Blu-ray buyer. This Blu-ray buyer is also a buyer of SACDs. And a buyer of any other format necessary to get the music that I want.

24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I think the highlighted portion is key. In the end, product is product. I still say it's a safe bet that IF we get an "unfutzed with" BG mastering of EL on SACD, it'll be long after the current 50th Anniversary Boxed set has a chance to sell through.

John Buchanan and trumpetplayer like this.
  25. Lownote30

I'll add that it would have to be licensed out to an audiophile label as well for that to happen.

jhm likes this.