Jimi Hendrix SACD coming from Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 11, 2016.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Probably just one in a long list of audio “experts” who don’t even know the difference between mixing and mastering, but have no problem throwing terms around as though they do.

audiomixer likes this.
  2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Embarrassed to admit I didn’t know there were separate UK/US versions.

Doesn’t really surprise me though, it happened a lot back then

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Jimi fit right in with the Beatles and Stones.

4. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Although I am mainly a digital person lately, I pulled out my copy of Smash Hits on vinyl recently. Such a great collection and the sound was pretty good.

5. John Harchar

If they’d put the Bernie Record Store Day mastering (and alternate cover) on either a regular $9.99 CD or high end SACD, I’d buy it in a heartbeat!

6. John Harchar

Elusive Disc just changed their release date from today to the end of next month. Considering Acoustic Sounds still has it as coming soon, why tease people like that?

jhm likes this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why would one give Elusive Disc’s “release” date on an Acoustic Sounds product any credence such that it teases?

8. John Harchar

I don't, but they have their customers who have ordered from them (no idea how few or how many). Why bother with a date when the company you're getting the product from doesn't have a date listed and hasn't for months? Coming Soon or TBA may be annoying but closer to the truth.

9. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Possibly elusive disc was just making things up, but it seems more likely to me that at some point their supplier told them (some months back, let us speculate) that the title should be out "by Spring 2019" or "in April," and they just put up April 30th as a placeholder and a general indication of when the title was expected from the supplier.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s an industry with lots of license and production variables. Folks just need to deal with it. It’s not as though it’s life saving medicine - and in the vast majority of cases, you haven’t been charged for it.

If you’re obsessive compulsive enough that a changed release date annoys you, you’ll probably find reason to be annoyed with pretty much any approach regarding release dates.

For example, the Dire Straits MFSL 45 rpms have no set release date, yet there are folks still constantly complaining about those too.

Or what do some do if their favorite release is TBD? They call MD or AS and ask when it’s coming out. And the answer is usually something like “the masters are done and waiting for sign-off. We hope to get them out by the middle of next month” - which is basically saying “this is our best guess. If we knew the date, we’d update it *******”. What happens? They complain if that date passes with no release.

It’s as predictable as the day is long.

I feel better now. :blah:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Exactly. It’s just one data-point entered by a dispassionate clerk for the thousands of items in their inventory. If they get a date from the supplier, they enter it. If they don’t, they don’t. If I had to guess, they probably then run a report daily or weekly which shows expired release dates and update them with a new date - which may or may not be informed.

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

This reminds me of my friend Brian from New York City. "Back In The Day" (probably early 90s) he had received a portable CD player as a gift that had a "non-standard" battery in it (rectangular and about the size of three sticks of gum stacked on top of each other). He used it at the gym and wanted a replacement. I told him I knew of some electronics shops in Chinatown that carried almost every battery made under the sun. We set off and viola, the second shop we visit has the battery he wants. He grabs the battery, then looks at the price - $35. Once he sees this, he says "the disc player itself is only worth $80, there's no way I'm paying $35 for a battery". My response was "well do you want a working player or do you want a new one? They are selling exactly what you need to be able to use your player at the gym again, what are you so upset about". His reply (and he was half serious) was "Jeff, c'mon, it's my God given right as a New Yorker to complain" :)!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    marcb likes this.
  13. John Harchar

Well, I guess I get a half-right being from Jersey and work in New York :D

jhm likes this.
  14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The statement could easily be changed to "I'm an audiophile (or audio obsessive, whatever), it's my God given right to complain" :righton:.

marcb likes this.
  15. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Any news regarding the AYE SACD release date ? Any insider intel ?

johnny q likes this.
  16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Maybe end of the year :D

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Coming soon....

18. Tartifless

For a long time now

J_D__ likes this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I should have used quotes. They’re Acoustic Sounds words, not mine.

But frankly I don’t lose an ounce of sleep on this release (or any really) being indefinitely delayed. Something else always fill the gaps.

Instant Karma and Lonson like this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Which year ;)?

21. Tartifless

The issue is that my PF Wish You Were Here is part of the same order !

22. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

I ordered PF Wish You Were Here and Carole King Tapestry at the same time I ordered JH AYE and they sent me the two former SACD discs as a partial order fulfillment right away.

23. Tartifless

I guess overseas orders work differently

24. I doubt AYE is coming any day soon. A.S. as had the same message up now for months. Clearly all is not well with this release and it has been indefinitely delayed but does anyone know why?

25. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have 4 tiles in my cart and nothing has been sent out to me because of the AYE disc.