Jimi Hendrix SACD coming from Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 11, 2016.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Wrong on all counts.

Shvartze Shabbos and Sis+erRay like this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I have Master, 1st gen etc. But if its a case of terming a master as 1st gen that's ok as long as we know.

And again, what are we referencing as an actual master? The master mix tapes made by JH, CC and EK in the U.K. '67 or the re-sequenced tapes from Reprise?

And you support the call that the stereo tape Reprise received from the U.K. is the actual master how?

Have you bothered to listen to the Track Pressings that include this stereo material, all of them?

Just asking!

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

1st generation = master tape

Reprise was sent the stereo masters, which were mixed specifically for Reprise. Track didn’t have them.

Sis+erRay likes this.
  4. Gordon Johnson

Good to know what we are referencing as master, we are / can be on the same page here at least! Though off from this site I will reference the master as the mix master.

I never said Track had the stereo 1st gen tapes in 67. I will say, its more than doubtful Reprise did either.

I'm not sure how valid a call that the stereo was mixed specifically for Reprise is but that is really irrelevant [at least for the moment], the point being they were mixed in the U.K.

For years I thought the same, Reprise got a copy mono and the 1st gen stereo. I based that on all I had read and a degree of assumption.
    But low and behold, i'm actually hearing different things when I took time to listen to some pressings.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You said the stereo masters never left the UK:

Which is incorrect. The stereo mixes were made specifically for Reprise and the masters were sent to Reprise.

SinnerSaint and Sis+erRay like this.
  6. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

LOL. Hendrix 'expert' Gordon Johnson strikes again.

Tullman likes this.
  7. Gordon Johnson

The "masters" never left the U.K. at least not in 67 or at any time in the 1960's come to that!

The stereo mix was made for Polydor [as was the mono], who got what [or copies of what] is clear.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Again, wrong on both counts. The stereo mix was made for Reprise and was sent to Reprise. It didn't stay in the UK.

9. Gordon Johnson

Unsurprising that the kids come out to plat again.

Also not unusual to see the usual closed thinking from some here. It would be a terrible thing if something "new" were to crop up and throw all of the previous thinking into question!

Anyway, as the kids are here, i'm off from this thread too. Bye

10. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Source = Gordon Johnsons guesswork/fantasy?

No. Because you got caught lying. Once again.

Tullman likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

When something "new" crops up, it will be evaluated. Hasn't happened yet though.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The early Track Backtrack and Polydor 2-fer stereo versions aren’t particularly good. I need to see some evidence to believe either was cut from THE master tape.

13. Off [SA-CD - wax on]:

Any Vinyl Valet(s) that can distinguish between original mono UK Track, original mono US Reprise, original mono French Barclay, & 2013 mono EH LP's?
    Not SQ.
    Sources; such as Laservampire pointed out:
    Laservampire has two masters:
    1. UK Track mono & French Barclay mono.
    2. US Reprise mono & EH mono.

Know track times are not definitive in defining differences [especially just a few seconds] in sources. Nonetheless, the EH SA-CD & EH 2013 mono LP are clearly conflicting.

Track times for the Barclay:
    Jimi Hendrix Experience* - Are You Experienced?
    Track times for the Reprise:
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
    Only "AYE" [song] at 4:12 for the Barclay & 3:55 for the Reprise stand out as obviously not the same [though the time discrepancy could be fading/:17 is a long time/about 5% >].
    2013 EH does indeed match the timing of the 1967 Reprise:
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

Comparing the Reprise LP to the EH SA-CD, only 4 of the 11 tracks are within 3 seconds of each other.

Thanks Laservampire & Purple Jim.

bagstiv and Purple Jim like this.
  14. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wonder if they are planning on a vinyl release later on.

16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Actually, Analogue Productions usually has a couple (few?) weeks exclusivity at their own store (Acousticsounds.com) before they send stock to other retailers. The November timeframe at Elusivedisc is likely when they expect to have their own stock to be able to send out to their customers. This will likely be the case with Amazon, Music Direct, etc. as well.

marcb and Tullman like this.
  17. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm looking forward to this but, by purchasing both the Axis and Are You Experienced releases, I will be expecting Electric Ladyland and (an expanded) Smash Hits to get the same treatment. Preferably in a timely manner.

Pretty please?

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I still have it on back order from Music Direct from 2018.

20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Smash Hits would have made more sense to be released before anything, then release the albums. Hopefully I am wrong, but I don't see it happening at this point.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Electric Ladyland came out in an overpriced box format, including a blu-ray, and is still in print. A smash hits SACD would be cool.

22. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Yes but the mastering is godawful.

bobcat likes this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Since when has that been considered by any label. I haven't listened to the Blu-Ray. I should listen to the surround version just for the sake of interest. Of course the vinyl version in the box is stunning.

bluejimbop likes this.
  24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

As do I

25. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Same here, February 13, 2018. Looking forward to this release, almost as long as the MoFi's Dire Straits all five releases.