Jimi Hendrix SACD coming from Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 11, 2016.

1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Is there a link in amazon for the SACD?

2. Dok

Dok Senior Member

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

If I had to take a guess it is master tape to 24/96. Usually HDTracks will do 24/88 or 24/176 if it is a rip from the SACD converted to PCM.

Opeth likes this.
  4. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Just ordered the Machine Gun SACD from Acoustic Sounds off EBAY for $35.00 with $4.00 shipping. Why if you order direct from the Acoustic Sounds site the shipping is over $10.00?. Regardless I am looking forward to hearing this in high resolution. By the way, I had ordered it on Amazon and then they backordered it with no delivery date in site. Cancelled that quick.

bruce2 likes this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Why not make a wish list and purchase enough to get free shipping? Or are you not eligible for that in your part of the world?

6. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

There just isn't anything I really want other than the Hendrix SACD at this time. I'm trying not to buy just for the sake of buying at this point.

7. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

This is exactly what I always do. Anything over $89 the shipping is free so I just wait until there are 3 sacd's I want and it's free shipping.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yep, this is what I did. I keep a wish list at AS just for times like these. I got my Hendrix SACDs with free shipping and took advantage of the 10percent coupon code. Each SACD ended up costing $31.50 each.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id wait for amazon.

10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

If you bought other SACDs, what did you get? Just curious.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I bought an 80's rock compilation. I collect compilations.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

My two SACDs shipped today from Elusive Disc, bought during the sale when the discs were first announced. Sent media mail so may take a few days. . . probably early next week they'll arrive.

13. The one from Japan? Let us know what you think when it arrives.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Actually, I got a Rock Ballad compilation SACD. The 80's hit is in my wish list. They are both on the Sony Label and are hybrid SACDs. I'm not sure where they are from. I purchased a Folk Music compilation SACD from that label that sounds pretty good.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  15. Stefan Sigurdsson

Stefan Sigurdsson Forum Resident

Anyone heard the Machine Gun SACD? Is it worth getting?

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Considering its the only physical digital option (unless hd tracks is carrying--idk), yeah Id say so.

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Seems like an easy decision to get the SACD over any other version.

art and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Not such great news on the redbook layer of the "People, Hell & Angels" SACD at least. A friend provided me some waveforms for the track "Crash Landing" from the release. While it seems it's a bit more dynamic than the original standard CD, there is still clipping present, which is very unfortunate and somewhat shocking to me. I realize they can't control the files they are provided in cases like this, but I'm surprised AP would be comfortable putting their name on an "audiophile" (and not inexpensive) release that contains clipped audio. I hope someone can prove the SACD layer itself doesn't have these issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Do you mind posting the DR for People, Hell, Angels? I'm curious just how different it is from the standard CD.

22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I don't have it, sorry. I was just sent the screen shots for the one file. It's really low on my priority list given that I have the CD and it's not my favorite release to begin with. It'll probably pick it up either used or on sale, but I'm in no hurry.

hvbias likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Has anyone "listened" to these two Hendrix SACDs? If they have how do they sound?

rxcory likes this.
  24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I've listened to the redbook layer of the "Machine Gun" SACD that was shared with me multiple times. It sounds excellent in my opinion. From a gear standpoint this is via my laptop via an Aune X1S DAC/Amp and Dunu 2000J earbuds (playback via JRiver Media Center 22). Same comments/reviews apply as on the actual thread about the 2LP/standard CD release (if you want to check there). My physical copy of the SACD is not due in until tomorrow, so I can't comment on the DSD layer just yet.

The only "complaint" I've read (across all formats reviewed thus far) is that some feel certain tracks are a bit "bass shy". I do believe the perceived volume of Billy's bass in the mix does vary track by track but by no means to I feel it's "bass shy"; there's plenty of bass there (IMO). The mix of course is not to everyone's liking but that can be said of nearly any release.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I haven't seen my copies yet.