Jimi Hendrix SACD coming from Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Aug 11, 2016.

1. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Both high res 96/24 releases sound great to my ears with my Pono player and Audeze headphones!

oneway23 likes this.
  2. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

I only have Machine Gun on sacd but my overall impression is that it sounds excellent. I had always heard that the first show on Dec. 31 was sub par but after listening I think it stands up well to anything from the other three shows. Experience Hendrix, please give us the first three Jimi Hendrix albums on sacd!

oneway23 likes this.
  3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Hmm....so the HdTracks 96/24 is louder. I may have committed a rookie error and got fooled into hearing louder as "more punchy." I am going to do a fresh A/B later.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  4. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

I am so disappointed as I have yet to receive my two SACD. Both Machine Gun, and People Hell and Angels were on order from Elusive Disc. The USPS media mail had the package here on the west coast, never delivered and apparently is headed back to it's original location! I have been in contact with Elusive Disc, and they are saying give it a week more! Why can't a brick and mortar store carry these? It is strange because I placed another order after this one and received it in 4 days. So bummed. What pisses me off is either Elusive Disc or the USPS screwed up the order, and neither will admit their error. :(

5. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I don't have either of these yet but just researching which to buy, it seems to me that they're most likely the same mastering for all formats, possibly with some volume difference but no EQ differences.

1. Machine Gun - this is a new release and it's available in four formats - CD, SACD, HDtracks download and LP. Note that Acoustic Sounds gives no credit for the mastering on the SACD so presumably they are using the mastering supplied to them by Experience Hendrix. Obviously Experience Hendrix are not going to do different masterings for every format - what would be the point? - so I think it's safe to assume they're all the same.

2. People Hell & Angels - this is an older release that's been around on CD and LP since 2013 and is now available on SACD and HDtracks as well. Acoustic Sounds credits Bernie Grundman as the mastering engineer - but guess what, Bernie did the mastering for the 2013 CD so I would bet it's the same mastering, just presented in a different format - there's no way Experience Hendrix would do two different masterings of the same material by the same mastering engineer in the space of three years. Presumably it's the same mastering for the HDtracks too.

YMMV and I haven't done any comparisons but that's my guess - unless you really want the high resolution or the vinyl, I suspect the cheapest way to buy these is to get the CDs.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Sure the cheapest way is to get the CDs. But the same mastering on SACD sounds better to me than on Redbook, and so I went with the SACD (and the Redbook, I'm a nut and I'm supporting these releases. May get the vinyl one day).

7. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

No JHE...

[​IMG]

Gordon Johnson and oneway23 like this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That stinks. Hang in there - I had a package from Music Direct listed as "unable to deliver to address as listed" and according to the tracking it was on its way back to the sender. It delivered two days later - USPS screw up.

Sharp 1080 likes this.
  9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I got the HDTracks download of People, Hell and Angels. It sounds pretty good but I think that I like my needle drop better. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted my needle drop files so I guess I'll stick with the download for the time being.

I can't really justify forking out for the SACD when the vinyl sounds so good and the HD download is more than serviceable.

10. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

You were spot on as both discs arrived today! I had time to listen to the first two songs off of the "Machine Gun" SACD. To my ears it is a very good mix with Jimi's vocals center left along with guitar. Buddy's vocals slightly off center right. I don't hear an issue with the bass so far? I will listen tonight uninterrupted. The disc is super silky smooth from bottom to the top. One of the advantages of SACD. One step closer to vinyl. I may have to buy the LP just for the good of it. I have still my vinyl but no turntable, yet! ;)

johnny q likes this.
  11. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I picked up 'Machine Gun' and 'People, Hell & Angels' yesterday on SACD from Bull Moose. Both of them sound absolutely wonderful. Thanks to Experience Hendrix, Analogue Productions and all involved in giving us some hi-rez Hendrix. Here's to more!

12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Guys...please disregard my earlier comments that the Machine Gun SACD sounds like crap. I was obviously having a bad hair day or something like that :) I think I was tricked into a classic rookie mistake - the HdTracks for whatever reason is louder and I guess I got tricked into hearing louder as punchier:hide:

Now that I did my Mea Culpa - back to our regularly scheduled program :)

13. The redbook layer of the new AP SACD of "People, Hell & Angels" has the same dynamic range as the original CD release. Overall DR10.

I was hoping for an improved dynamic range, but that is not the case.

Code:
    foobar2000 1.3.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2016-10-29 17:39:50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Jimi Hendrix / People, Hell & Angels (Target Exclusive CD)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR  Peak  RMS  Duration Track
    DR9   -0.32 dB  -10.02 dB   3:35 01-Earth Blues
    DR9   -0.02 dB  -10.36 dB   4:06 02-Somewhere
    DR10  -0.02 dB  -11.09 dB   5:42 03-Hear My Train A Comin'
    DR10  -0.35 dB  -11.47 dB   3:59 04-Bleeding Heart
    DR11  -0.38 dB  -12.27 dB   6:51 05-Let Me Move You
    DR9   -0.35 dB  -10.85 dB   3:44 06-Izabella
    DR9   -0.21 dB  -11.09 dB   5:58 07-Easy Blues
    DR10  -0.18 dB  -11.46 dB   4:15 08-Crash Landing
    DR9    0.00 dB  -10.07 dB   5:05 09-Inside Out
    DR11  -0.02 dB  -12.99 dB   3:40 10-Hey Gypsy Boy
    DR9   -0.33 dB  -11.40 dB   4:08 11-Mojo Man
    DR10  -0.36 dB  -11.85 dB   1:46 12-Villanova Junction Blues
    DR10   0.00 dB  -10.96 dB  20:01 13-Ezy Ryder/MLK Jam (Captain Coconut)

Number of tracks:  13
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate:  44100 Hz
    Channels:  2
    Bits per sample:  16
    Bitrate:  1411 kbps
    Codec:  PCM
    ================================================================================

Analyzed: Jimi Hendrix / People, Hell And Angels (AP SACD)

DR  Peak  RMS  Duration Track
    DR9   -0.37 dB  -10.34 dB  3:35 01-Earth Blues
    DR9   -0.01 dB  -10.62 dB  4:07 02-Somewhere
    DR10   0.00 dB  -11.53 dB  5:43 03-Hear My Train A Comin'
    DR10  -0.30 dB  -11.83 dB  4:00 04-Bleeding Heart
    DR10  -0.38 dB  -12.12 dB  6:52 05-Let Me Move You
    DR9   -0.36 dB  -11.12 dB  3:45 06-Izabella
    DR10  -0.18 dB  -11.41 dB  5:59 07-Easy Blues
    DR10  -0.15 dB  -11.80 dB  4:17 08-Crash Landing
    DR9    0.00 dB  -10.07 dB  5:06 09-Inside Out
    DR11   0.00 dB  -13.21 dB  3:41 10-Hey Gypsy Boy
    DR10  -0.28 dB  -11.48 dB  4:08 11-Mojo Man
    DR10  -0.33 dB  -12.17 dB  1:50 12-Villanova Junction Blues

Number of tracks:  12
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate:  44100 Hz
    Channels:  2
    Bits per sample:  16
    Bitrate:  1411 kbps
    Codec:  PCM
    ================================================================================

14. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Ouch

Thanks for saving me $30

George P and Bill Mac like this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Same thought here.

George P likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the new SACD and vinyl of Machine Gun. I played both and right now I prefer the SACD.

Opeth, ssmith3046 and jhm like this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I noticed on the DR database that the SACD for Machine Gun is a 13 and that there are three downloads noted- hi res, 16/44 and iTunes and they are all DR 10. Has anyone looked the CD release of Machine Gun yet? It seems unlikely, but is it possible the redbook of the SACD may be different? I probably would be happy with the straight CD release but I am concerned it may be the same loudness as the downloads.

18. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The HD Download and regular CD are somewhat compressed/peak limited. The redbook layer and DSD layer of the SACD are not compressed. The SACD/Vinyl are the best options for no limiting.

19. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Agreed. I made the mistake of getting the HD downloads for PH&A and Fillmore East. I haven't spun my Fillmore East LP yet but my PH&A needle drop was most definitely a more pleasant listening experience than the HD download.

johnny q likes this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I was on the fence on which format to go with but I just ordered the SACD.

jhm likes this.
  21. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Yea I guess if your in it for the CD layer. The SACD layer is DR13 if that matters to people.

DR values are a tool and while higher is generally better, it doesn't always correlate to mastering or mix quality. Drives me crazy when people make decisions based solely on the DR value.

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You probably will get a few people to order with that extra 3. That is all they need to hear, I mean see, whatever.

23. Interesting. Will have to give the SACD layer a proper listen and compare to my vinyl copy.

24. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

This SACD > Vinyl to my ears... though my digital set-up is probably > analog so it may very well just come down to that.

25. texquad

texquad Senior Member

So why is P.H. & A. mastered so much louder than the others ones he's done.