Jimi Hendrix "Songs For Groovy Children" 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Just got the black vinyl Band of Gypsys single LP reissue, and it makes me want to get the vinyl box set of Songs for Groovy Children.

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I have so enjoyed your book. Thank you for writing it, and thank you for the online updates.

3. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Thank you for the kind words, Spencer - when I say "my pleasure," the years I've spent writing about Jimi's life and work have been just that :agree:

Spencer R likes this.
  4. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Any chance of getting an autographed copy?

5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I was so impressed with the 50th anniversary Band of Gypsys LP that I bit the bullet and got the Songs For Groovy Children vinyl box.

While the 50th anniversary LP is reportedly cut from the old Classic pressing, I assume the new 8 LP box is a new cutting and mastering, but it sounds just as good. On “Changes” from the first show on December 31, 1969, the dynamic range of the performance is incredible. The band take it all the way down to just Buddy Miles playing some light rim shots and Hendrix barely playing guitar, but no matter how quiet the performance gets, the vinyl background remains dead silent.

Haven’t had time to listen to all 8 LPs yet, but, just based on the listening to the first show, everyone involved with this should be commended.

After having had the CD box set of this for several months, I have come to appreciate Buddy Miles more than I did before. Both as a drummer and as a singer/songwriter. It’s a shame the Band of Gypsys never made a studio album.

I had pretty much given up on new vinyl for the past several years, but this summer the new Neil Young Homegrown LP, the 50th anniversary Band of Gypsys, and now this Groovy Children box have restored my faith in the ability of pressing plants to turn out new vinyl releases the way they should be done.

6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

So I’ve ordered the vinyl accepting the reality that I simply cannot pass this up. Like most of you I own all the other releases Machine Gun, Band of Gypsys, Fillmore East in all possible formats, vinyl, cd, SACD etc. My question specifically is how much better is the sound quality on this cd set than previous versions? I guess the main reason to get it would be for the additional tracks. I like any new material I can get my hands on but Band of Gypsys is the one I return to the most.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

It’s Efffin’ gorgeous fella do not worry yourself. Sleep soundly tonight that you made the right move.

8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yeah, can’t wait to hear it! Do you own the vinyl or cd or both?

Tuck1977 likes this.
  9. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Sound is great and about as good as you could expect for a 1969/70 performance being run thru all the best modern gear available. For completists like me, it’s pretty awesome to have multiple takes of tunes from a short-lived band that flamed out too fast. Prolly the most complete picture we’ll ever get of the band of Gypsies, can’t imagine what else they would do here.

10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yeah, it sounds like both cd/vinyl are essential. CD set ordered set to arrive tomorrow and vinyl on Thursday! Gotta love Amazon Prime!!

vegafleet, Tuck1977 and Rocat like this.
  11. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

I'm curious - why both cd and vinyl? Tracklistings are identical. You are in for a treat though, I got the vinyl when it came out and it's fabulous.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Tuck1977 and Jam757 like this.
  12. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

You do realize what Forum you're on, don't you?:shrug:

13. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Point taken.

ARK, Panama Hotel and Jam757 like this.
  14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Vinyl is my go to but I’ve got a sizable CD collection as well mostly for portable listening on my IPod and/or the car. I’ve never embraced the whole HD tracks or downloads etc. I have to own a tangible item that I can hold in my hand. Also, in reading up on this set these are supposed to be the premiere digital versions available for this material so that was probably the deciding factor. My ‘95 Club Edition CD of Band of Gypsys holds a special place in my heart though (as does the original vinyl)!

richierichie likes this.
  15. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Don't forget the much larger format booklets in the vinyl sets, with accordingly larger images :agree:

kees1954, jhm and Jam757 like this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Oh absolutely, I’ve enjoyed all of the great booklets in the numerous Hendrix vinyl box sets.

tinnox likes this.
  17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have the Flac downloads and the US vinyl box. I played some the other night with a new Goldring 1042 cart and it was a superb evening. I still love the original release but this collection is essential. I sold off my Machine Gun quality record pressing, no point double dipping.

18. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Um, they could add that disastrous but interesting Jan.28th gig. And start it all out with the complete Baggy's rehearsal tapes. I'd go for that! ...Tentative release date of...the 12th......of never...

jeremylr, kanakaris, SG47 and 3 others like this.
  19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Nice but I would prefer a full unmessed with studio album!

jeremylr, Jon-A and kees1954 like this.
  20. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Release date update: the 13th of anytime :laugh:

JimSpark, Jon-A and jhm like this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

You can certainly piece together a compilation of BOG studio work (jams not listed):

Mannish Boy (#2) [Band Of Gypsys, Studio Outtake, Record Plant NYC, 4/22/69] (Both Sides of The Sky)
    Bleeding Heart #1 [Band Of Gypsys, Studio Outtake, Record Plant NYC, 5/21/69] (People Hell & Angels)
    Bleeding Heart #2 [Band Of Gypsys, Studio Outtake, Record Plant NYC, 5/21/69] (Blues)
    Hear My Train A Comin' [Band Of Gypsys, Studio Outtake, Record Plant NYC, 5/21/69] (People Hell & Angels)
    Lonely Avenue [Unreleased Recording, Record Plant NYC, 11/10/69] (West Coast Seattle Boy)
    Stepping Stone [Band Of Gypsys, Studio Outtake, Record Plant NYC, 11/14/69, 11/18/69] (Both Sides of The Sky)
    Lover Man [Band Of Gypsys, Studio Outtake, Record Plant NYC, 12/15/69] (Both Sides of The Sky)
    Earth Blues [Band Of Gypsys, Studio Outtake, Record Plant NYC, 12/19/69] (People Hell & Angels)
    Message To Love [Alternate/Complete Mix, Record Plant NYC, 12/19/69 + 1/20/70] (West Coast Seattle Boy)
    Burning Desire [Unreleased Recording, Record Plant NYC, 1/16/70] (West Coast Seattle Boy)
    Once I Had a Woman [Band Of Gypsys, Outtake/Edit, Record Plant NYC, 1/23/70] (Blues)
    Earth Blues [Alternate Mix, Record Plant NYC, 12/16/69 + 1/70, 3/70] (Purple Box)
    Izabella [Band Of Gypsys, B-Side, 4/8/70] (Voodoo Child, remix)
    Stepping Stone [Band Of Gypsys, Single, 4/8/70] (Voodoo Child, remix)
    Ezy Ryder [Alternate Mix, Record Plant NYC, 12/18/69 + 1/70, Electric Lady Studios 6/70] (Purple Box)
    Ezy Ryder [8/22/70, Final Hendrix Mix, Electric Lady Studios] (Cry of Love)
    Room Full of Mirrors [Working Master, Final Hendrix Mix, 8/20/70] (Rainbow Bridge)
    Drifter's Escape [Working Master, Final Hendrix Mix, 8/22/70] (South Saturn Delta - could be the Loose Ends remix)
    Power Of Soul [Working Master, Final Hendrix Mix at Electric Lady 8/22/70] (Both Sides of The Sky)

As previously discussed, Hendrix was much closer to realizing a BOG studio album at the end of January 1970 than maybe he realized. He didn't have a producer guiding him at that point who was providing any clarity. That said, he certainly was aware that various songs were in advanced stages of development, but he was also at a point where he didn't know when to let go, where he would continue re-record and overdub incessantly (i.e. no guidance from a producer or other trusted studio collaborator). Of course, there is the distinct possibility that he did not want to deliver an album of new studio material to Capitol and PPX, thereby having no intention of completing the studio work.

ARK, Roberto899, andrewskyDE and 11 others like this.
  22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Drifter's Escape has Mitch on drums. It was recorded in June of 1970 initially; too late for Buddy.

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Thanks for catching that. I won't be surprised if there are other errors or omissions, but I tried to piece together a general overview.

24. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

You’re going to enjoy the vinyl set, I got it a few months ago and it’s fantastic imo

25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The effort was greatly appreciated, just trying to provide some clarification. Carry on :tiphat:!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.