Jimi Hendrix "Songs For Groovy Children" 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Thanks for ordering from the all new bullmoose.com website! The following item(s) has been packaged and will go out in our next shipment.

[​IMG] HENDRIX,JIMI/SONGS FOR GROOVY CHILDREN: THE FILLMORE EAST CONCE@5CD
    Processed on: 11/18/19

2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Quite a nice presentation/graphics on that thing. The tinting of the b/w video works quite well too.

Rudi and jhm like this.
  3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Import CDs sent a shipped notice.

bluesbro and JayB like this.
  4. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Very nice sounding. But it really makes me wish they'd done this one more time in the 1st show on Jan 1 than Foxy Lady, maybe Jimi would've remembered all the words!

JayB likes this.
  6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I like how you can (now) make out Jimi saying (after the song concludes) "Let's play 'Machine Gun' without Izabella".

Chris M, Efus and powerpc like this.
  7. John Harchar

And he never would again...

Efus likes this.
  8. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Disc 1

I've enjoyed reading the comments on this thread. Some stuff way above my understanding.
    What I'd like to know is if this advertisement looks correct.
    I own all the legit audio that has been released over the years.
    How many additional songs will I get, that I don't already have.....edited or not edited, if I buy the box?

Record store advertisement:

Songs For Groovy Children assembles all four historic debut concerts by Jimi Hendrix’s newly assembled Band of Gypsys at New York’s Fillmore East on New Years Eve 1969 and New Years Day 1970. Presented in their original performance sequence and encompassing 43 tracks across 5 CDs or 8LPs, the set boasts over two dozen tracks that have either never before been released commercially or have been newly remixed plus the full extended versions of songs originally released on the 1970 Band of Gypsys album. Measured alongside his triumphs at Monterey Pop and Woodstock, Hendrix’s legendary Fillmore East concerts illustrated a critical turning point in a radiant career filled with indefinite possibilities. Earlier in 1969, The Jimi Hendrix Experience had closed a musical chapter and the guitarist assembled a new trio dubbed Band of Gypsys, consisting of Hendrix, his longtime friend Billy Cox, on bass, whom he had befriended when both were serving with the 101st Airborne Division Cox and Electric Flag drummer Buddy Miles, who would also contribute occasional lead vocals. Hendrix was inspired by his collaboration with Cox and Miles and this creative renewal drove the development of promising new material such as “Power Of Soul,” “Burning Desire” and the extraordinary “Machine Gun.” By the end of January 1970, the band was history, but the blend of funk, rock and soul pioneered by the trio had a profound impact. Notable devotees include funk pioneers Parliament-Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield, the Isley Brothers and Bootsy Collins, extending all the way forward to hip-hop.

Newly mixed and restored in sequence without edits, fans can finally hear Hendrix, Cox and Miles blast through their genre-defying sets that included freshly written songs like “Earth Blues” and “Stepping Stone,” as well as supercharged Experience favorites inclusive of “Foxey Lady,” “Voodoo Child (Slight Return),” “Wild Thing,” “Hey Joe” and “Purple Haze.” Additionally, exciting new versions of Howard Tate’s “Stop,” “Steal Away,” by Jimmy Hughes and a searing “Bleeding Heart” by Elmore James highlighted the command that the trio had over blues & R&B music. The lavish package is filled with unseen photos from talent such as Fillmore East house photographer Amalie Rothschild, Jan Blom (whose iconic, color saturated images provided the original artwork for 1970’s Band of Gypsys) as well as Marshall Amplifier representative Marc Franklin, who had full access to the group in their dressing room backstage. The booklet features remembrances from bassist Billy Cox and liner notes by author/journalist/filmmaker Nelson George. Songs For Groovy Children was produced by Janie Hendrix, Eddie Kramer and John McDermott - the trio that has overseen every project for Experience Hendrix since 1995. The box set was mastered by Grammy-winning engineer Bernie Grundman.

Disc 1
    Track
    Title

1 Power of Soul (Live at the Fillmore East)
    2 Lover Man (Live at the Fillmore East)
    3 Hear My Train a Comin’ (Live at the Fillmore East)
    4 Changes (Live at the Fillmore East)
    5 Izabella (Live at the Fillmore East)
    6 Machine Gun (Live at the Fillmore East)
    7 Stop (Live at the Fillmore East)
    8 Ezy Ryder (Live at the Fillmore East)
    9 Bleeding Heart (Live at the Fillmore East)
    10 Earth Blues (Live at the Fillmore East)
    11 Burning Desire (Live at the Fillmore East)
    Disc 2
    Track
    Title

1 Auld Lang Syne (Live At The Fillmore East)
    2 Who Knows (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 12/31/69 - 2nd Set)
    3 Fire (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 12/31/69 - 2nd Set)
    4 Ezy Ryder (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 12/31/69 - 2nd Set)
    5 Machine Gun (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 12/31/69 - 2nd Set)
    6 Stone Free (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 12/31/69 - 2nd Set)
    7 Changes (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 12/31/69 - 2nd Set)
    8 Message to Love (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 12/31/69 - 2nd Set)
    9 Stop (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 12/31/69 - 2nd Set)
    10 Foxey Lady (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 12/31/69 - 2nd Set)
    Disc 3
    Track
    Title

1 Who Knows (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 1st Set)
    2 Machine Gun
    3 Changes (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 1st Set)
    4 Power of Soul (Live At The Fillmore East)
    5 Stepping Stone (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 1st Set)
    6 Foxey Lady (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 1st Set)
    7 Stop (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 1st Set)
    8 Earth Blues (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 1st Set)
    9 Burning Desire (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 1st Set)
    Disc 4
    Track
    Title

1 Stone Free (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)
    2 Power of Soul (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)
    3 Changes (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)
    4 Message To Love
    5 Machine Gun (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)
    6 Lover Man (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)
    7 Steal Away (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)
    8 Earth Blues (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)
    Disc 5
    Track
    Title

1 Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)
    2 We Gotta Live Together (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)
    3 Wild Thing (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)
    4 Hey Joe (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set)

9. John Harchar

Two brand new songs from the final set, Lover Man and Steal Away. Plus the songs from the Band of Gypsys album are unedited except We Got To Lie Together, which is around the same length as Live at the Fillmore.

dee and Frank Discussion like this.
  10. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Thanks very much! That's helpful.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

12. lazarus

lazarus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Arrived yesterday!! I like it!! To my ears the second show is pretty weak but the rest sounds mostly very inspired and the sq is okay!!!

GerryO, SG47, Small Fish and 2 others like this.
  13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Can you post photos of liner notes? Do the notes acknowledge and address why songs are missing and why the mix of some songs on the 2nd set are mixed differently (i.e. incomplete or missing multitracks)?

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

15. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Would love more thoughts from those that have this already! Friday can't come quick enough for me.

16. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I would like info on the previously unheard "Steal Away."

Is it Jimi or Buddy on lead vocal?

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Buddy, don't expect anything special, it's possibly a play once only skipper.

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  18. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I know it sounds silly but it really bugs me that Voodoo Chile has over recent years become Voodoo Child (even just typing it). Chile has a air of mystery that Child doesn't have, and also wish they would make their minds up over Foxy/Foxey Lady grrrr , mini rant over.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Hendrix classic is spelled "Child" on the all copies of the ELL album. The ELL blues jam and Highway Chile have the wonky spelling. EH have respected wonky spellings like "Foxy" or "Hear My Train a Comin'"and kept full titles intact including brackets.

Lost In The Flood and jhm like this.
  20. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

Quote from Wikipedia:

Jimi Hendrix occasionally used different names and spellings for some of his songs. In his handwritten lyrics, he used "Voodoo Chile" for the longer song, while he used both "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" for the following one recorded with the Experience.[20] In his handwritten album notes for Electric Ladyland sent to his record company, he listed the songs as "Voodoo Chile" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)";[21] when the album was released in the US by Reprise Records on October 16, 1968,[22] these spellings for the two songs were used.[23] When the album was subsequently released by Track Records in the UK, the songs were listed as "Voodoo Chile" and "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)".[24] In 1970, the "(Slight Return)" song was released as a single in the UK and it was simply titled "Voodoo Chile", without the further designation.[25] Later album reissues usually follow the Reprise or Track album spellings, depending on the country of origin.[26]

Lost In The Flood and jhm like this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

All vinyl copies of ELL on both Track and Polydor I have had/got have CHILE on the labels and cover, the Track EP I had in 71 also had CHILE on the label, so mate you are wrong. (partly).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Thanks, all that I already know, you seem to have missed the point of my post.

23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Can we just agree there were variations depending on where you bought your LP? The original Reprise release said "Voodoo Child (Slight Return". Courtesy of discogs:

[​IMG]

On this side of the pond at least, it's been "Chile" for the long blues version and "Child" for the short, rock version in the majority of cases. That's how I've always known it to be at least. Regardless, they are both awesome songs, I think we can agree with that :)!

24. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

This AGAIN!

The record [pun intended!] shows that Jimi wrote it as Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) AND Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

Yep, I get the wonky issue, Foxey indeed :)

Lost In The Flood and Deek57 like this.
  25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I looked before I posted. Even Jimi couldn't decide on the spelling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lost In The Flood, powerpc and dsdu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.