Jimi Hendrix "Songs For Groovy Children" 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Who gets the photo credits?

2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

jan Blom - Onsert photo
    Marc Franklin
    Amalie Rothschild
    Gary Legon
    George Pericharos

Gordon Johnson and jhm like this.
  3. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Very encouraging DR numbers. Already have the Machine Gun SACD so no biggie about the first CD being a little lower. In the end its how it sounds not DR numbers though. Still will probably start with the vinyl over the CD set...

dee and jhm like this.
  4. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

This is all very encouraging, thus far. I should be a Happy Hendrix Boy by no later than 8:00pm tomorrow night.

(Having said that -- I just don't understand why these type of programs don't feel compelled to provide us with detailed source information. I find it disrespectful and condescending. I'll probably get over it before the next release, however...)

5. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Thanks! On the fine print of the credits page is there any technical info about what tracks are new mixes (I assume most are) and any indication if some tracks (like perhaps Foxy Lady) are vintage mixes?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  6. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

I agree that transparency from the EH producers when things are omitted would be a welcome change! But not really a surprise as McDermott didn’t mention in the Winterland box that EH deleted about 10 songs, a few of which were published by EH later on separate releases.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Fox67, DTK and dee like this.
  7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Yes, thanks, I've seen those notes, maybe others haven't. Voodoo Chile it will always be for me, just like it has been for close to fifty years.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

4 of the 5 discs are streaming on Amazon Music. Sounds pretty cool I admit.

Im pretty picky about sound quality and even on streaming, Im on Amazon HD, this sounds very nice. I think people are going to be pleased.

9. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

Jimi says 'songs for groovy children' between Stone Free and Power of Soul during the second show of 1/1/1970.

I listened to it on Spotify. Nice to hear two new songs, Lover Man and Steal Away, and more complete versions of Earth Blues (1/1/1970 1st show) and Power of Soul and Them Changes (1/1/1970 2nd show). Who Knows of the 31/12/1969 2nd show doesn't contain the nasty tape glitch (at 1:51-154) the collectors are familiar with. And Stone Free of the same show is indeed complete as far as I can tell.

Fox67, anth67, SG47 and 5 others like this.
  10. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Which disc is missing? I've seen a couple of digital versions floating around and they combine disc 4 & 5. If disc 4 is 13 tracks it is complete.

The full set is also on Spotify.
    Songs For Groovy Children: The Fillmore East Concerts

E.Baba likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ahhhh, you are correct sir. The 4 disc thing on streaming fooled me. The entire set is up on Amazon also. Very cool. This will be playing mucho today :cool:

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If Im counting correct, there are approx. 8 performances here that have never been released?

13. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Steal Away, Jimi's playing is alright, but the song is a bit of a dirge, not hard to see why it's previously uncirculated. Yep I'll be skipping this one in future plays. Lover Man comes as a relief, back to normality.

14. RhyeKing77

RhyeKing77 Forum Resident

Amazon.ca has the 5CD now down to $71.82 but the release date has been pushed back to November 29th.

Pouchkine and KCLizard like this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the 24 bit files yet?

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'm with you, as I always find that sort of information interesting. They probably think most people don't care and therefore it's not worth their effort to provide such details.

17. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Thanks...that was weird....I will let Santa, er....I mean my wife know

JasonA and RhyeKing77 like this.
  18. Thank you for sharing, that looks very good. I'm going to pick up a copy for sure.

jhm likes this.
  19. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Just got home from the post office with this set. The weekend is saved!
    The mixing credits are different between this and the First Show CD.

Fillmore First Show:
    Engineered & mixed by Eddie Kramer.
    Assistant engineering by Spencer Guerra & Chandler Harrod.
    Mixed at LAFX Studios.

Groovy Children:
    Engineered by Eddie Kramer.
    Mixed by Eddie Kramer & Chandler Harrod.
    Assistant mixing engineer Spencer Guerra.
    Mixed at Capitol Studios.

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I listened to the January 1st shows on Spotify last night while I wait for the box to arrive today, and they sounded great to me.

21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Have a look for yourself!

[​IMG]

22. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

£60 instore in London. FFS, it costs £1 each to manufacture the 5 x CDs in card as anyone who's used CD plants will know. The rest of the packaging is nicely designed but small, not luxurious and doesn't IMO justify the cost. Where or who is the rest of it going? Clearances?

RAH might be £200 if it comes out before we're all ashes :) :(

Pouchkine likes this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Some cool shots from the set I'd not seen before. These are not my scans btw.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Steal Away is great! Perhaps Buddy's best singing from these concerts and low-down blues playing from Jimi without any effects at all from what I can hear. Like he sounded in 1965.

mrlucky56 and jhm like this.
  25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.