Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Really enjoying the Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread, anyone know what shoe size Jimi was?

2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Its a tough ask as Jimi often used boots or higher cut shoes. Anyone know if he [JIMI] used plain knit or pattered socks?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  3. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

You know, really no matter. Jimi was a beautiful human being, with all of our normal human foibles, triumphs and shortcomings.

I originally was merely trying to get out how some possible drug use may have affected some of his shows. There's no doubt that Jimi, as a leader of the counterculture in his own right, espoused mind expanding principles, freedom and love, yet like most of us there was some darkness in him, as well.

The main thing, though, we are left with a body of work that we can still appreciate 48 after his death. Not very many artists last longer than he lived. I mean, how many of us discuss Stephen Foster today? Not many (though I'm down for it).

In this body of work are a ton of live shows. Come up with some you guys want to talk about, or I can lead the way. It doesn't matter who does. There is a butt load to talk about!

I think we need to jump on some of the really good shows. How about LA '69 or Miami '68? San Diego '69 and/or the wealth of great shows at the Winterland Ballroom in 1968? Man, I don't think a single one of those Winterland shows was shoddy.

Funny, when I was a teenager and had never seen a photo of the Winterland Ballroom, I imagined Jimi on stage in a nighttime environment, outdoors, with trees and stuff around him, these icicles of blue and white hanging from the tree branches, sparkling from the light coming from the stage. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe I was on drugs. :p

Tim Bucknall, iggyd, MoonPool and 2 others like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

And to think this may have been the catalyst for Alan Douglas to get permission to start his overdub Hendrix LPs.

I love the front cover of this LP.

I edited my favorite cuts from this 1973 with other favorite live cuts to make my own Live Jimi cassette.

Also the first place to find the 12 string Hear My Train.

Soundtrack Recordings from the Film Jimi Hendrix is the soundtrack to the 1973 documentary film, Jimi Hendrix. The double album was released by Reprise Records in July 1973. It contains the full-length live performances from the film and some clips from interviews (though not necessarily from the film). The album peaked at number 89 on the Billboardalbum chart, which generated concern at Reprise Records that repackaging old material would no longer satisfy the fans of Jimi Hendrix. The album has not been released on compact disc.

The documentary (or rockumentary) was made in 1973 by Joe Boyd, John Head and Gary Weis for Warner Bros. The film contains concert footage from 1967 to 1970, including material from Isle of Wight and the Monterey Pop Festival. The film also includes interviews with Hendrix' contemporaries, family and friends. The estate of Jimi Hendrix authorized the 1973 film to be re-released on video and DVD in 1999, and a special edition DVD was released 2005.

LP track listing

Songs by Jimi Hendrix unless otherwise noted.

Side 1
    1. "Rock Me, Baby" (B.B. King, Joe Josea) – 3:01
    2. "Wild Thing" (Chip Taylor) – 5:18
    3. "Machine Gun I" – 7:45
    4. "Interviews I" (Jimi Hendrix, Al Hendrix, Freddie Mae Gauthier and Dolores Hall) – 3:41
    Side 2
    1. "Johnny B. Goode" (Chuck Berry) – 3:37
    2. "Hey Joe" (Billy Roberts) – 3:50
    3. "Purple Haze" – 3:40
    4. "Like a Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan) – 6:11
    5. "Interviews II" (Jimi Hendrix, Little Richard, Pat Hartley and Fayne Pridgon) – 3:21
    Side 3
    1. "The Star Spangled Banner" (Traditional) – 3:42
    2. "Machine Gun II" – 12:35
    3. "Hear My Train A Comin'" – 3:05
    4. "Interviews III" – 2:36
    Side 4
    1. "Red House" – 11:18
    2. "In from the Storm" – 4:27
    3. "Interviews IV" (Hartley, Alan Douglas, Pridgeon and The Ghetto Fighters) – 5:55 .
    Recording details

5. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Well, the Winterland gigs are exactly what I've been listening to for several days now. Those shows are all great.

I must have spent a total of several years of my life listening to Jimi but not so much in recent years until this thread started,
    and also with that new EL release.

So the thing I don't think I ever realized was how much the so-called 'Bob Terry' tapes of the Winterland gigs are pretty much just like the final releases.
    The official releases are obviously better but I had forgotten that they also have the very narrow stereo sound that the BT tapes have. That's true, right? I still haven't listened to everything.
    One could rearrange the official releases and put them together and have the shows running as they happened. And put into the running order a few
    of the songs that didn't make it to the official releases sourcing them from the Bob Terry tapes. There's a few songs missing from the BT tapes and the official
    releases both. But I think I just found the rest on another boot. Haven't looked/listened real close but those songs are probably in lesser quality than the BT tapes. But I believer they're sourced from soundboard sources.

What fun!!

Anyway, great renditions of pretty much everything at those shows. All of the big blues workout tunes are there and great. Red House, Hear My Train.
    Several versions of 'Are You Experienced'. The first night first show has an extraordinary version of AYE, first song.
    Also some great jamming on 'Tax Free' and 'Sunshine'. There's a few tunes with the B3 player from the Buddy Miles band. Not exactly sure how well that fit in, although he makes some pretty weird sounds on occasion.

Anyway great thread, I'm going to be moving on to the RAH shows, San Diego and others.

6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It was sort of a bold choice to include the interviews, I'm guessing to pad the album out since the music alone from the film is a little over an hour. It didn't pay off sales-wise. One other thing that probably hurt sales is there was also a lot of double dipping even for back then: Rock Me Baby, Wild Thing, Johnny B. Goode, Like a Rolling Stone, Star Spangled Banner, Machine Gun (II) and (in Europe) In From the Storm had all appeared on previous albums. So in essence you were getting a little over half an hour of new material (about 40 minute for those in the states)

The only thing apart from the interviews these days not easily accessible audio-wise is Purple Haze from Berkeley, though in this film it's intercut with a 1967 TV version, it's complete in Jimi Plays Berkeley. When are we going to get that first set released?

7. John Harchar

One of the most annoying things they did on the box (apart from the edited solos) was on disc one, they took the Jack Cassaday guesting two-fer of Killing Floor and Hey Joe and jammed Foxy Lady from the other set that day right in between. And with the way the applause is spread over the tracks, you can't just take it out and link them back up. There's at least one or two other songs they could've included instead of that interview on Disc 4.

As for the music...how did they get an out of tune organ for Herbie Rich? But it really is a great series of shows, even with the equipment issues.

8. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I've been meaning to listen to the Soundtrack album (vinyl ) with view to culling it because it's all on other albums, except the talking.
    Probably comes down to the sequence and how many times I want to hear the same comments over.
    My US press is not easily replaced here so it's a one way decision.
    I don't reach for it. I know I did have the DVD on which the interviews are an interesting time capsule.

9. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

Yep, I think we are of the same view. I think the mysterious cold/virus Jimi had at that time was withdrawal.

As I said before, I did not used to believe this. For a long time I rejected the idea he was a habitual heroin user, but there is too much evidence/testimony that all adds up. The people he associated with, the recollections of various acquaintances, the weird European tour stuff. I have gradually become very convinced that this was an important part of Jimi’s story, reluctantly at first but it has become quite obvious to me.

It is true, we will probably never really know the truth now.

10. John Harchar

And the funny part is they’re completely different interviews!

Tim Bucknall and E.Baba like this.
  11. EVOLVIST

This was actually my first Jimi Hendrix experience, and I didn't care for it. My hippie stepmother picked it up on VHS in around 1984. I couldn't help comparing Hendrix's "rough sounding" music with popular black artists of the day, especially Prince.

I never owned the album, but watching the film, today I see the real importance of a number of these songs and how they're played. I don't think the film gave me a very good image of Jimi, either, given that the Allen brothers had an agenda, and some of those girlfriends sounded like they were talking about two different people at times.

Just a few years later, though, I was watching it, along with Rainbow Bridge, and I was able to understand better. Without Hendrix there is no Prince.

Just a brief overview:

"Hear My Train 'a Coming"
    - Note how Jimi is just noodling to start, kind of pedestrian, and then he asks to start over. What follows is a thousand miles higher than what he was playing before. It's as if when he realized the cameras were rolling he stepped his game up. Many a blues greats would have been doing infinitely proud to have been able to improvise a masterpiece like that. That's not hyperbole; this performance is a true masterpiece.

"Johnny B. Goode"
    - This one really got me off, too, because at the time I wasn't aware of the Berkeley shows. So, this one totally came out if nowhere and smacked me upside the head, like "Listen up, white boy!"

Of course there's the aforementioned "Machine Gun" from IoW that I love to death, as well as my first exposure to the Band of Gypseys.

Like @John Harchar said, it might have been a rip off for those in the know, when it was released, but for me at 13 or so, it was a great introduction, chiefly because I could see, as well as hear him, and also since it was live, it introduced me to the art of improvisation. That much was very apparent, since both versions of "Machine Gun" were cool, but vastly different.

12. EVOLVIST

We can point to any releases we want, but I think the Bob Terry tapes should be the primary point of reference. The official release is cool, and so is the old Ryko disc, but we need a clearer view of what really went down at Winterland. What do you think?

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  13. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

The soundtrack was one of my first Jimi Lps....I really liked it a lot, but the fidelity is really poor, almost like it was taken from the film soundtrack itself (if that makes sense.) I did like the extended interviews on the 2005 dvd release, I think there is one with Billy Cox where it seems like he gets pretty emotional talking about Jimi.

14. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Think that's why I got it but now thinking the actual video is probably better than the soundtrack on vinyl.

15. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

You got to remember 1973, it wasn't considered double dipping. The Monterey cuts, were not real easy to find, IoW cuts were not easily available in the US, and only as an import, also not easily found. Unless you lived in a big city or by a University, you never heard of The Plays Berkeley film.

Also back in 1973, not every one had all Jimi's catalog, also many It's of those who had Jimi's records, had them chewed up by cheap turntables.

In 1973, There were not too many places, where you could even have an idea what his discography consisted of.

Even this LP was not heavily stock in record stores.

16. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Don't forget the Black Bomber which explains the later Vesparax for sleep.

17. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

No, but I've read he painted his toenails green. :)

18. John Harchar

Oddly enough the soundtrack and Monterey album with Otis were still in print through the end of the 80s, so for a lot of people (like me) the soundtrack album was a must have.

As for the interviews, Fayne and the twins get a lot of air time, but how well did Pat Hartley actually know Jimi outside of Rainbow Bridge? I think she got more time than Mitch, Billy and Buddy...combined!

19. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I had forgotten that some editing of the performances had been done.
    So I’m going to put everything in an audio editor and see for myself exactly what was done. Should be easy enough, just a bit tedious and time consuming.

20. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

While i love the box especially 1010 its tragic and disrespectful to have it so poorly executed

21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No it's not speculation, you just have a strong bias.

marmalade166 likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Not Herbie's fault. Rule number one - always tune the guitar or whatever instrument you're playing to the keyboard or piano! But hey, it was probably a very spontaneous idea with no rehearsal.

I was actually impressed with how Kramer managed to duck Herbie's contributions; he is in the mix but so low it's not really noticeable that the pitch is off.

Tim Bucknall and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. EVOLVIST

No, he doesn't sound like a spaced out junkie, but he sounded stoned af! :laugh:

24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Bold As Love!
    I had read from one of the attending medical officers that an exorbitant amonut of dark red wine had matted his hair and was all over his clothes and the bed even before they couldn't believe how much of it they pumped out of his stomach.
    I know he was not much of a drinker but the above stacks up if you believe Jimi's friend Sharon Lawrence who claimed in her book that years later Monika Danneman admitted to pouring wine down his throat and claimed that she thought it would actually help!

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have always enjoyed watching IOW in full and playing on CD selected cuts.
    For many years it seemed the regular reaction for fans and commentators to dismiss it of holding much if any worth.
    Charles Shaar Murray's was a prominent one for example.
    In From The Storm IS stellar and parts of Machine Gun are poignant with a palpable desperation.
    The first half of Red House is certainly good but there is some sloppy stuff later, I really don't want to comment on it being called a 'heavy metal' version.

Tim Bucknall likes this.