Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Sounds like there was enough torque applied to shift you're axis Kees :)

Jimi Bat and kees1954 like this.
  2. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Thanks

3. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Never thought about the physics of the situation

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I don't know what is on that version, I gave up on the new studio EH LP's since I found Valleys Of Neptune shoddy.
    The airbrushed cover and hearing 2 cuts on the radio turned me off Both Sides so I did not buy it nor People, Hell & Angels.

Tim Bucknall and EVOLVIST like this.
  5. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Eh, just get 'em from the Russians. That's about all they're worth. :whistle:

:D

6. EVOLVIST

I was about to write something really dirty before I thought better of it. :D It just reminded me of a girl I used to "know" in college.

kees1954 and Erik B. like this.
  7. Experiencereunited

I think u are missing out as I find both LPS highly enjoyable.
    I do agree (as I think almost does ) the album cover of Both Sides is a complete disaster.

misteranderson likes this.
  8. Experiencereunited

Have u had chance yet to check if this versio is cropped or if you have the option at least to choose a non cropped video setting?

9. All Down The Line

Maybe.
    Can i ask how long you been into Jimi and the releases you have or if easier, haven't?

10. All Down The Line

No but I will have to check it out, my impulse is that there is no choice but iam unsure.

11. Experiencereunited

I stated how long I have been into Jimi much earlier in this thread I believe. Pretty much have all of the releases that contain any unique material (ie non greatest hits compilations) except a lot of the PPX material. Never got much of that stuff I do have a little though. Some of the releases I have multiple pressings/formats of as evidenced by Monterey.

kees1954 and All Down The Line like this.
  12. EVOLVIST

October 10, 1968, San Francisco, CA, Winterland Arena

I know @Brian Lux was there. Assuredly mere words cannot describe the event, itself. I won't even try; nevertheless the tapes, are extant and sound pretty wonderful. My sources are the Winterland vinyl boxset from EH, Live at Winterland (1987), Concerts (1982), the Bob Terry tapes, and a nice reconstruction, from various sources, given to me by a friend.

It really is a blessing to have all of these shows, the JHE equivalent of the four set BOG stand at the Fillmore East '69/'70.

Set one:

"Are You Experienced" - This is a super nice version of a seldom played song. It's very together. The solos are controlled and the vibe is just right. I was pretty baked while listening, so the JHE marched me right in. Also found on the Concerts album. Very familiar to me. 7:27

"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - Electric Ladyland would be released in a just a few days later. Jimi meant to impress. So, incredibly good, especially as that breakdown starts, Jimi and Noel playing separate parts of the same chord. Later Noel smokes it! While istening I wrote, " Noel is playing his ass off. Cold nasty bass work! right after Jimi breaks into the last verse" 6:30

"Red House" - While listening I jotted down, "delicate beginning - Hendrix sings 'baby' on first line - so nice - keeps it a little laid back when he usually soars in the first solo - that breakdown solo is choice at 9:50. At least a top-10 "Red House." Jimi is in complete control. Can also be found on Variations on a Theme: Red House. 15:01

"Foxey Lady" - Outside of the feedback intro nothing remarkable, thought very solid in keeping with the show's vibe. I wrote, "Comes into last verse angry - spends most solo way in the upper registers. I was afraid he'd tear the roof off, or the top of my head." 6:13

"Like a Rolling Stone" - The intro to this version is heavenly. Unfortunately, they get caught in a very slow tempo, where they can't built up proper. The whole song never really gels. It's still great, yet it's the lesser of all these songs. This can also be found on the re-release of the Purple Box, actually. They should have released "Tax Free" from October 12th if they wanted to release a great bonus track. 9:38

"This is America" - Just the right runtime for a psychedelic freakout. Jimi pulls out some amazing sounds. Not of this earth. I kept wishing that Mitch would bust his snare head, though. I don't know why that went through my mind. 5:20

"Purpe Haze" - A slower version of "Purple Haze." It moves like warmed syrup.I made a note to myself to check and see if there is a slower version. A great rendition! 6:32

Set Two:

"Tax Free" - I don't think I've heard the JHE play a sorry version of this track. Every version is an adventure. This one is no different, I wrote, "About as good as any top-notch version - too many great and inventive guitar phrases and licks to mention. Coming out of Mitch's solo, Noel does something amazing." The JHE at the top of their game. 16:41

"Lover Man" - Nothing too fancy here, just a damn solid rendition. 5:14

"Sunshine of You're Love" - This version is already famous, having appeared on the Douglas era Live At Winterland, in 1987. There's a version from 1969 that I enjoy better, but I can't think of what it is at the moment. Still, the second instrumental of this set blisters! - though I've heard it a hundred times. 7:16

"Hear My Train A Comin'" - Could this be the best live rendition in electric form? There's a powerful argument that it is. I wrote, " I love the way Jimi comes in with the first verse, as well as all the vocals, for that matter - those scat vocals doubled by guitar, and all those little licks in the breakdown." I don't even really like this song that much, but this version really gets me. Also found on Concerts. 11:29

"Killing Floor" - Not the best version, but certainly not bad by any stretch. A very thick sounding version, with Jack Cassidy on bass. I wonder if Jimi felt he might lose Jack if he ventured out too much, because here out the concert falters a little. Still, nothing to complain about. It's the joint! 8:21

"Hey Joe" - A great standard version with nothing to write home about, except...Jimi's main solo rips it up about as good as any solo for this song. It is a thing of beauty. 5:21

"This is America"
    - Not quite as solid as the previous set's version; still, it serves the purpose. Jack Cassidy goes into an intriguing little ditty while Hendrix wails away. The contrast between the pretty and the ugly is stark. 7:06

"Purple Haze"
    - Yeah, last song of the night, sounds a little tired. It's a tad slow, as well, but not as interesting as the first performance. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's been a poor song in either set so far. It's just that some are better than others. 5:37

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  13. All Down The Line

"Oh Vladimir"............

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  14. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Cool that you mentioned Concerts. Great live album! And the vinyl is still fairly easy to find at a decent price, especially for a two LP set.

15. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

October 10 1968 2nd set
    Funny, due to discussions up thread about the Red House edits from the 12th I pulled out these shows and this is one of the sets I listened to last week. My source is the old Reelamation box as I refused to buy the EH set once I realized they decided not to give us one whole show start to finish. Cant believe they edited that Red House. They must have had teeny boppers in the editing suite that day.

Set two starts out pretty casually and a little wobbly but things start to gel pretty quick. Each song seems to build on the momentum of the song before it and they really seem to start flying once they get to Sunshine Of Your Love. While that's a really enjoyable version of Train I don't think its as good as some of the versions we'll get in 69 and70. The more that song simmers and ages with time the better it gets. Just my opinion.

I think the band loses some momentum when they invite Jack Cassidy on stage for Killing Floor. Its still fun to hear but they do meander a bit. Fortunately it does not turn into the total mess that will happen when they invite Jack onstage at the end of their Oakland set in 69. I don't know what happened there but it sounds like everyone was waiting for the person next to them to take charge and no one ever did.

Really don't care for the last two songs in the set. Could be I was just not in the mood for This Is America so I'll give that a pass. That version of Purple Haze is just awful by Hendrix standards. He's not even putting out the effort to phone it in. All he does for what seems to be the first half of the song is just hammer on that open string. Again, this is just my opinion.

One thing that stands out to me when I think about the bands Winterland stand and compare and contrast these shows with the January 69 tour shows is how different the band sounds. I mean its just 60 some odd days after Winterland but the group seems to go after the same songs in whole new way. Kind of like now we're going to stretch this material out and see just how far we can take it. Like they've gained a years maturity in just a couple of months.

alchemy, Purple Jim, kees1954 and 5 others like this.
  16. All Down The Line

Jimi hated standing still and was restlessly in a musical hurry!

DTK likes this.
  17. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It really is an amazing solid set of concerts, even with the equipment issues. I have to think those issues weighed on Jimi's mind since it doesn't look like he ever went back to listen to them, or anybody else in his lifetime.

I just took a look at the setlists on Wolfgang's to remind me of each night and it's hard to say one night or set is significantly better than one of the others. Every one has its own feel and does something different.

I've mentioned it elsewhere but my friend who got me into Hendrix thinks the Winterland version of Hear My Train is his absolute favorite.

kees1954, All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's mentioned in Ultimate Hendrix that he did spend a day reviewing the Winterland tapes. But then it seems they were pushed aside in preference for the Albert Hall and San Diego tapes for the projected live album that Jimi and Eddie mixed but never released.

Tim Bucknall, Purple Jim, jhm and 3 others like this.
  19. John Harchar

Ah that's right, and I actually have the book sitting on my coffee table now to check!

Credit to, yes, Alan Douglas for going back in and putting the Winterland stand back on everyone's radar. Hard to believe they didn't think anything was worth getting out there, it's possible the technical issues were still on his mind and that's all he heard. Then again after Jimi died, they listened to the Berkeley tapes and said "Damn...can't make an album out of this, we'll just have to pick and choose a few tracks."

20. Serenity Now

Serenity Now Forum Resident

One reason for the change in the group's sound in January 1969 was tuning down a whole step to D, not so sure I like the effect it had on the sound, maybe too dark. They were back to half a step E flat by the RAH in February.

Tim Bucknall, Purple Jim, jhm and 2 others like this.
  21. John Harchar

Interesting, I've only heard the Stockholm shows from that month, need to search some more out...

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

My thanks to you and @EVOLVIST for the reviews! I personally think the power of the early '69 shows is due to getting a bit of a break before the tour started. As for Winterland, as great as the tapes sound, I think the performances, overall, get worse as the sets wear on. The band just sounds plain tired. I prefer the 10/10 shows as I think those have the most energy, but it slowly goes downhill from there (again, all my opinion only). There are still many, many individual highlights to be found during the Oct 11 and Oct 12 shows, but as complete shows, they don't really hang together. I rarely pull these shows out for listening, despite the excellent sound quality.

I do agree that the approach seems quite different once they hit the Europe in Jan of 1969. The Experience is almost (to me) how Cream was described at the end of their run. They are more like three musicians each soloing and trying out outplay each other in the process. There are many hightlights from the band from the European/UK tour of that year to be sure.

Bonus post - As an underrated (but excellent) show, I suggest seeking out a very low gen version of the 01-Dec-1968 gig from Chicago. A strong show overall and once a low gen copy was sourced, a revelation. This was one of those gigs that you'd almost swear was a completely new show, the upgrade was so big (compared to the high gen version that circulated previously).

23. EVOLVIST

Thanks for corroborating my report. I went into this listening session after not hearing these tunes in a long while, so I hope my biases were dampened. You pretty much agreed that everything is in full swing until Cassidy comes in. Also, yeah, the last two numbers from set 2 are a slog, but when I heard something like "Purple Haze" from day 1, set 2, I certainly can't call it too terrible, as there are a lot more rancid versions out there.

Of course it's all subjective, but I'm not sure that they matured, so much as they were just different in 1969. I feel that one reason these Winterland shows are so special is because Jimi was still fueled off of wrapping up the EL sessions. There's no doubt, though, that the JHE were still flying by jet fuel until their demise.

A deep dive into these Winterland shows is so enlightening.

footlooseman, kees1954 and jhm like this.
  24. John Harchar

The two shows on the 10th do hang together the best. The equipment issues pop up with more regularity the other two days, which will definitely sap a band's energy, no matter how good they are.

Good point about how the band by 1969 was verging into Cream territory. The LA Forum show is sort of like that with its relative lack of shorter numbers and long jams, compared to the San Diego show a month later where you get Hey Joe and Fire and no Tax Free.

25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Your post just reminded me to comment on the Winterland releases in general. I'm not trying to stir the pot but I find it interesting that most folks here seem to praise Douglas for his Winterland release (and the +3) yet complain about what EH did (and also did not include) on their Winterland boxed set. Regarding the EH set, I completelly agree that some of the editing choices were either bizarre or unforgivable (editing off the beautiful intro to Are You Experienced ought to be considered a bonafide sin in my book), however we did get more of the shows in official release quality. I just find it odd that prior to the boxed set, I didn't hear anyone complaining that Douglas didn't revisit more of the shows or that he got many of us to double dip with the +3 release (I personally didn't get the + 3 box until 1993 when it was on clearance at a local Sam Goody). Let's not forget, Douglas didn't think anything else from the shows (including what was put on Concerts originally) was worth putting out. He even gave the killer long Spanish Castle Magic from the 11-Oct-68 second show to Univibes for inclusion on their Calling Long Distance CD because he thought the best version of the song was already included on his Winterland release (I heard that straight from Caesar Glebbeck's mouth). I only bring this up as again, I think it's difficult (perhaps impossible?) to please everyone with each release. Where I think EH is their own worst enemy is by not deciding who their releases should appeal to; the masses? the hard core Jimi fan? audiophiles? By trying to serve too many masters at once, I think they sometimes fail. The recent EL 50th set alone tells me their perception of who these releases appeal to is a bit confused. I don't think any "new" release EH has put out has been universally lauded in recent years save the "Machine Gun" live release. Why was that? Because it was a rare convergence of a complete show, mostly previously unreleased, best quality ever for the duplicated/booted material from prior releases and most importantly, a uniformly high quality gig from start to finish. When I try to look into my EH crystal ball regarding the live releases they state they'll be focusing on for the future, I don't see that happening again anytime soon (barring something previously unknown to us being discovered/being released). Royal Albert Hall (4th Feb gig)? Given the sloppiness of the end of the show, we may not get a warts and all release even if this ever sees the light of day. If they can work out a deal to put out the stunning visuals at the same time, though, people may just ignore the trainwreck ending.

Bringing it back to Winterland, would I have liked to have gotten a warts and all boxed set of the shows? Absolutely. In the end, though, I was happy to have more of the shows made available in best ever quality. I think it's appropriate to criticise (or at least question) EH's decisions on what to edit or leave out of these releases, but I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that we've gotten way more material than we'd have ever gotten under Alan Douglas (for better or worse). He was on record saying that after his (aborted) On The Road live compilation set came out, he felt there was nothing viable left to release in the vaults and that would be THE last Hendrix release. Despite that, here we are 23 years later still getting new material (some of high quality, some not). I'm glad I've been around to take the ride, even if I haven't always been 100% satisfied with the stops along the way.

Tim Bucknall, powerpc, iggyd and 10 others like this.