Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

IMHO Hendrix at Monterey is greatest EVER live album.

Best ever live version of Like A Rolling Stone is the one that wound up on the “Lifelines” box set. Would love to hear the full show

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  2. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Ehhh...tighter? It's all subjective of course, and thanks for prompting me to have another listen.

The section from :10 to :18 at 1st show, Berkeley is super cool because he waits to play the main riff. Then again, it's an earlier version: a work in progress. His vocals are way off, while the version from IoW are tighter with the words. Not perfect, though.

From 1:09 to 1:21 someone is playing an extremely sour note. I'm pretty sure it's Jimi. No sour notes at I0W.

The second chorus at Berkeley is way cool, even if it's not close to the studio take. Then more sour notes before the middle 8. Both solos from both shows sound oddly good. I can't decide.

The "country picking" part that was left out of the studio version, but present at both Berkeley and IoW is far superior at IoW.

All in all, not to bolster IoW too much, but I think the IoW version slays all others. I might have to revisit other shows, though, because I haven't heard all of them in a while.

Tim Bucknall, jay.dee, Mark7 and 5 others like this.
  3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

And the annoying thing is if you keep them together and move them to one disc (can’t remember which), you’d have two discs of the same length instead of the unbalanced ones we have

4. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

6. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

It would be incredible to have this proper on vinyl....

7. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

IOW really captures his frustration of the difficult gig and how he wants to be Free in the moment. "Bustin' Out."

8. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Agee its live but many of these are 1 song or up to 3
    True but in fairness the Hey Baby that ended this show was not one of his finer moments thats for sure.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  9. Experiencereunited

This is quite interesting as what you refer to is a classic EH double dip. Actually Blue Wild Angel has been released on video twice by EH. A 2002 release and a 2011 release. These are different video edits and the 2011 release contains Hey Joe while the 2002 does not. Additionally the 2002 release has the drum/bass jam included in the bonus footage (albeit with talking heads over part of it) while the 2011 release edits the bass and drum jam out completely. In fact both releaseses are essential..... due to the different camera edits as well as the other stuff I already mentioned.

I read somewhere there were 6 cameras total at IOW. This means EH can still release this again with the raw camera footage from each camera as bonus footage (similar to how they did Monterey). I actually would probably go for it (Again...)

Tim Bucknall, Vintage1976 and DTK like this.
  10. Experiencereunited

Fortunately the Blue Wild Angel Vinyl did not do this like the CD did.

11. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

These days this one:

12. EVOLVIST

Isle of Weight PtII

Foxy Lady * Some good part, some bad parts; therefore too uneven to rate very highly

Message of Love * Pretty much trash throughout. Very painful to listen to

Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) * his tone is once again too muscular for the gentle parts. His not choice isn't too bad, but this is where tone works against him. At about the 3:00 mark the ton still doesn't work, but the notes are better placed, and his voice is phenomenal. Another uneven song

Ezy Ryder * not ghastly, but not good either. Things have been falling apart after "Midnight Lighting."

Hey Joe * back to form. It's a little too heavy-handed, like an acid rock rendition, but those licks and solos, including his vocals are all top notch. The heaviest version of "Hey Joe?"

Purple Haze * not too shabby. kind of back to junky. it's nice to hear a guitar growl like that. mailing it in a little here, though the end cacophony is definitely on purpose.

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) * like "Foxy Lady," it has good parts and bad ones. Not going to rate this very high

In From the Storm
    * probably the best live version. Hendrix had enough energy to go out with a bang. I really dig the version of "In From the Storm" at Maui, 07-30-1970, too.

Tim Bucknall, DTK, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  13. EVOLVIST

That would be April, 15th 1968 at the Generation club, NY.

14. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

IOW In From the Storm again uses the 'storm' of the difficult gig (and general life position? ) to raise the storm that is right upon us as we gain sanctuary.
    Tour de Storm.

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And the fade out of Midnight Lighting misses a few seconds. You’d have to patch in that part from the 1971 album.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  16. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

'Wild Blue Angel ' as a title for an album of Isle of Wight. Doesn't tell you anything or make it easy to remember or find. Stupid.

17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have always liked IOW and said In From The Storm was stellar.
    But i would be delusional to say he was not tired, under rehearsed as as we later learned unwell.
    Jimi would not have "shut down" a festival performance in front of a huge crowd unless he was extremely unwell.
    Despite this he put on as good a show as he could and i am not one to dismiss the show and link it with his soon to come death etc.

Tim Bucknall and DTK like this.
  18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

The first time I saw The Jimi Hendrix Experience was one of the October '68 Winterland Shows but have never been able to remember/ track down exactly which show. I took photos but cameras then didn't give dates. The second time was at the Northern California Folk-Rock Festival in Santa Clara, California, May 1969.

19. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Imagine what the picture could be like on a frame by frame clean up full on bluray release, mixed in full BG awsomeness. In my opinion this could be one of Jimi's best, certainly the Experience's best recorded/filmed shows.
    The set list is perfect, though he could of sacked off Wild Thing in favour on Come On (Let The Good Times Roll).
    There is bound to be a lot of great performances that where never documented but it is a blessing the R.A.H Feb 24th show was captured. We will probably have to keep imagining that it ever sees the light of day though.

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah. And Jimi only plays on more tune, the jam on Freddie King's San-Ho-Zay.

Tim Bucknall and EVOLVIST like this.
  21. Nomadicarchivist

Shouldn’t be too hard to track down the date of the Winterland show you saw based on the clothing he wore

22. Nomadicarchivist

It’s out there.. I have a copy though it is in storage and in bootleg form.. Great doc for its era.. Chris Wood on flute was interesting but definitely unrehearsed.

Since it is the most complete and best shot of all unreleased filmed performances it will be released eventually but it is obviously the last remaining “Holy Grail” thus the big stall
    New Movie Unveils Lost Hendrix Footage – Rolling Stone

Tim Bucknall, EVOLVIST and Tuck1977 like this.
  23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Monterey is a great show, unsure where Lifelines LARS comes from but Monterey is the best live Hendrix version i have heard.
    Great vocal feel, timing and those exquisite guitar flourishes.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's taken from Jimi's request to the MC prior to going on stage how he wants to be introduced :)

Tim Bucknall, Dodoz and Vintage1976 like this.
  25. Nomadicarchivist

The best version of LARS was recorded live with the Paul Butterfiekd Blues Band.