Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

About time we saw what they intend to do with Maui!

tedhead, SG47, JeffMo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

He was perfect for the entire life of the original Experience. Nothing wrong with what he was doing on the 1968 and 1969 tours.

Jimi Bat, Fox67, E.Baba and 2 others like this.
  3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Nice to see us back on the real Live topic :)

4. Gordon Johnson

I simply replied to this …………………….

"The Peel Sessions cd EP from the same era is mono, but not the main album.
    True mono versions were broadcast by Westwood One, and those have been booted over the years but never officially released. So you have to enter the black market."

And yes, no need for further discussion on the point!

5. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Well that thread is more Pythonesque.

E.Baba likes this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

DTK likes this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I spun the much maligned Blue Wild Angel cd this morning.

9. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

First thing when I played it I heard the drums and wondered what happened to Mitchell. Hahaha.
    Of course I quickly realized it was cement mixer.

EVOLVIST and Purple Jim like this.
  10. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

And what did you think?

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Black market = illegal. Whether you pay for it or not. Not paying does not make illegal downloading legal.

12. Gordon Johnson

:shrug: I'll leave it there!

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Buddy just sinks Stepping Stone. Fire is so-so.

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Good! No further questions then.

15. Gordon Johnson

:shrug::shrug:

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Better than I remembered - I think the security feedback into the Machine Gun recording works actually.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Is that next official release from EH!

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well, in a February 2018 article on the USA Today website, it was announced that the next project would be a documentary about the Maui event, so we speculate that it might include some sort of album of the performances.

19. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

BRAVO!

Gordon Johnson and DTK like this.
  20. EVOLVIST

"Recordings may be copied and traded among fans of the artist without financial exchange, but some bootleggers have sold recordings for profit, sometimes by adding professional-quality sound engineering and packaging to the raw material..."

The above is is a commonly cited excerpt for how tape trading is usually viewed by the owners of the copyright. This pertains to live recordings above all, juxtaposed against bootleggers who have sold for profit, which is highly illegal. The above quote also explains why large trading websites have not been shutdown by the artists, nor their estates, for tape trading. Of course, some artists have shut sites down, depending on their whim.

As for EH, they have not shut down the largest archive spot for Hendrix's music. Why? I can't really answer that, but they haven't.

That said, whether one goes by the above or not, we're not supposed to talk about it on Hoffman's forum because there are too many grey areas that Hoffman shouldn't have to worry about since he's in the music business. The last thing he needs is an artist/estate coming down on his head for forum members running their gums.

In short, this thread is doing nothing wrong, and we've shied away from telling anybody where to get archive recordings of Jimi Hendrix. This isn't the place...an since the great majority of us purchase from EH anyway, we serve to bolster the Hendrix community, and EH, by keeping Jimi's memory alive.

It's not my thread. I choose not to review the BBC Hendrix stuff for my own reasons, but I could see why some would. That's all I'm saying. If someone reviewed them, cool.

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

You are correct Sir. They were studio recordings. They have no place in a "live show" thread.

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The BBC material is not "live" recordings, and it has been officially released by the legal owners several times. On top of that, there are TWO entities that own or have rights to the recordings, BBC and Experience Hendrix. Any "free" downloading of the material from other sources is piracy, equal to downloading Electric Ladyland or any other official Hendrix product.
    I don't care personally, but I think it's an important difference to audience tapes of Hendrix concerts.

If you look at crosstown torrents for officially released BBC material, you will not find it. That's why EH hasn't shut it down. No officially released material is allowed.

All Down The Line and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. EVOLVIST

Oh, my bad; you're right. Either I got lost or didn't understand, but I thought we were talking about archive recordings in general.

Yeah, the BBC stuff isn't fair game to trade around. You're right, just like any other official release.

I know that it's not historically authentic sounding, but I still have a soft spot for the old Radio One release. I got it within the first couple of years of me listening to Hendrix. Fake stereo or whatever, it sounded good.

As for reviewing the BBC stuff, I put it more square into the studio material, not live. If the BBC stuff is allowed in, then we might as well allow the live-in-the-studio stuff from EL. There's a bunch of that. It's not really in front of an audience, except for the Lulu recordings.

DTK likes this.
  24. All Down The Line

Recently on ebay a seller listed a guest book from the Hawaiian school the band and crew booked into prior to staging the Maui show.
    It contaimed the signatures of Jimi Hendrix & Mike Jeffrey.

EVOLVIST, Purple Jim and jhm like this.
  25. All Down The Line

Not your thread?