Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Well in the UK upon it's late 68' launch there were Electric Ladies in their smalls in shop windows.

2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

at the August 31st, 1970, Stockholm, Sweden, Stora Scenen, Tivoli Gröna Lund gig Mitch sounds like he is on another planet :shake:

3. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I've been listening to whole gig, and reading your review at the same time, But that version of Machine stopped me in my tracks, it's played by a man right on the edge, The edge of what I'm not sure, a man far beyond driven, but the intensity, desperation and the cry for help and love is glaringly apparent here.

It's as if you put into a pot, Coltrane, sonic youth and Hendrix, added some acid and despair and see what came out.....

It's a fantastic version, probably my favorite after the BOG version/s

Mark7, DTK, Purple Jim and 2 others like this.
  4. All Down The Line

What a generous spirit he was, one is again reminded of the quote; "He didn't play guitar, the guitar played him"
    ..... and what came out was always nakedly truthful.

EVOLVIST, jhm and Kassonica like this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Is a second guitar player or keyboards "Vegas"? That makes Beatles and Stones and The Velvet Underground and Derek and The Dominoes and thousands of other bands "Vegas".

6. All Down The Line

Jimi more likely to become Vegan than Vegas.

DTK likes this.
  7. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I need a new Hendrix release.

LA Forum '69 or Maui '70 would suffice -- but something from under the radar works.

SG47 likes this.
  8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It's been since 2016 that we've gotten nothing new in the first half of the year (unless you count Record Store Day stuff and I'd have to go back and check if something did come out that year). Heck, in 2014 nothing new came out but we got the Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge reissues in June.

9. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Damn! That's all we've been talking about here! Haha!

I know what you're saying, though. If EH decided to release every Hendrix concert from their vault, right now, I would buy every single one of them.

Moreover, there must be a clutch of shows in their possession that nobody has heard. After all, the Hollywood Bowl SBD was an unknown source until they released it with EL50, yeah?

Otherwise, pull out an archive show while you wait. I'm sure there are a few you haven't done a deep dive on. There's always something new to discover in Hendrix's playing.

DTK, jhm and Dr. Luther's Assistant like this.
  10. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

That final tour was a very sad ending for Jimi. He clearly was not a happy person at that time. He needed a holiday not another bloody tour.

11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

this is true but there is some amazing playing on that tour, the 3rd is incredible, his playing had gone to another level when he was on, sadly though we only get tiny glimpses of it :(

Mark7, DTK, SG47 and 2 others like this.
  12. EVOLVIST

Let' not forget that a good bit of the US 1970 tour was pretty good, too. That stretch from April to May 1970 is choice. They may have started to lose it a bit that summer, but they rebounded in Hawaii.

Pray that another source still exists for August 1st, 1970, Honolulu, Hawaii. I've heard word that there was a second taper, but the tape might have gotten lost. From what we can hear of the show, it might be one the best of the year.

Now wouldn't it be cool if EH pulled that one out of their hat? :)

All Down The Line and SG47 like this.
  13. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

Totally agree with this. LA Forum 70, obviously lots of good stuff from the Berkeley sets, and Hawaii as you mentioned. Those 3 come to mind. Jimi's playing had went to another level ( when he was "on" ) by 70 to me, starting with his phenomenal guitar work at the Fillmore East shows kicking off the new decade!

14. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I agree :)

My favorite hendrix live playing is from 69 onwards, but the cry of love band stuff is my favorite.

Mark7, All Down The Line, DTK and 3 others like this.
  15. EVOLVIST

It's funny, but with live Hendrix, anytime I think I like one year over another, another show from a different year proves me wrong. There's stuff from 1968, that pound-for-pound, fights with the best of '69 and' 70, especially when you get into late '68.

I guess we could say that Jimi had something to say with the guitar for every season. :)

tedhead and DTK like this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

There is a second tape and it was lost. The taper loaned his master to his friend not long after the show and he never got it back :mad:!

All Down The Line, DTK and EVOLVIST like this.
  17. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I'm pretty much happy with all the Hendrix recordings I have already but if some quality video from the October '68 Winterland show I attended were to magically surface I would be ecstatic!

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. EVOLVIST

Yeah, I think a little birdy told me that. :) I'm thinking there is hope as long as we know it was recorded. I'm reminded of stuff from others artist's, Elvis, Neil Young, etc., even Hendrix, that was stuffed away, hidden, moldy in an attic, out of sight, out of mind, only for someone to stumble across it many years later.

Wasn't the "Freezer Tapes" a collection of Hendrix rough period mixes, found stuffed behind a blind wall, dug out and resurrected? I don't recall the full story, but something like that.

jhm likes this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes. Jimi was stressed out and strung out, but he could have recovered from that with only some rest and time away from the road or even the music business. In his own mind, the problems were becoming insurmountable perhaps. But he was still a young, strong and creative guy. So sad.

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Apparently "Freezer" found the tapes in a warehouse used by Alan Douglas. The content was circulated on CT a while ago, fantastic studio outtakes.
    There was some discussion on whether he recorded the Hendrix concert in New Orleans on August 1, 1968, but probably not.

jhm likes this.
  21. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

This sh#t never ceases to punch me in the gut. A well-timed 6 weeks off, and this thread could very well have an entirely different context.

SG47 and DTK like this.
  22. EVOLVIST

Yeah. A 10 year project.

23. All Down The Line

Yes and I did not know there was a source at all.
    That said I seem to recall Mitch saying it was a good show and lamenting no recording of it.

jhm likes this.
  24. All Down The Line

His will to live and get to the light at end of the tunnel could have been stronger but I agree with you things seemed insurmountable to him.

DTK likes this.
  25. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Freezer told me he recorded 8/1/68 and sold it to EH, but who knows if he was BSing me.

DTK and jhm like this.