Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Would be neat to hear the supposed jam with Jaco in Miami 1970.

All Down The Line, SG47 and EVOLVIST like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

My missing holy grail is a tape from Cafe Wha? in summer 1966. We have no recorded evidence of Jimi transitioning from r n b guy to psychedelic genius (the live Squires tapes are the closest we have). Imagine, early versions of AYE tracks, perhaps some original songs he never played again... It would make the leap more understandable. And Randy California on 2nd guitar!

It's on par with Charlie Parker's evolution from big band guy to be bep genius, which wasn't recorded due to a American recording ban.

Otherwise, the apartment jam with Miles Davis. The jams at Ronnie Scott's with Roland Kirk. The Woodstock jam with Sam Rivers that might actually have been recorded. The jams at The Scene with Clapton, Beck and Johnny Winter.

3. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Yeah, would definitely love to hear Cafe Wha? material. Randy California supposedly had a tape, right? Guess we'll never hear it, if it even exists.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

While EH by most accounts have uncirculated soundboard recordings and films from the 1969 Euro tour, a lot of the setlists in Ultimate Hendrix are probably cobbled together from newspaper and fan reports, just like in any other Hendrix book.

funkydrummer, jhm, SG47 and 1 other person like this.
  5. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Good points. It makes me wonder if the new Ultimate Hendrix book (whenever that happens) will be more revealing.

You know, I had wrote in another thread that I have a friend who works at Iron Mountain and he can see how much is cataloged by the Hendrix estate, but not what the items are. He doesn't have that kind of access. But, it's a lot more than has been released, just looking at the numbers. Of course I would guess some of it is duplicates of various generations, some items that have to be put together to make a complete package, etc. It just makes you wonder.

It makes you wonder why hold so much of this material back (RAH has its reasons), because I'm only 45, not living when Hendrix was alive, but my children probably won't care about a previously unheard Hendrix concert in the year 2067, while we care - a whole lot - in 2019, where Hendrix's original fans are in their 60s and 70s.

A real online subscription service is the only thing that makes sense today. Cut out the middle-man with the record companies, make all the profit, and allow us to hear this stuff while we still can. It's either that, or they don't plan on releasing this stuff at all.

6. EVOLVIST

You know who got to hear all of this stuff? A 12-year old David Lee Roth (I think he actually started hanging out at his uncle's place at age 7). He has cool stories. Just imagine a young Jewish kid meeting a pre-fame Jimi Hendrix and then becoming famous himself.

7. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

Nice choices! I'd love to have those shows! Of existing audience recordings I'd really like if there was a SBD of the Cry of Love bands first outing, LA Forum 1970 for a few reasons. One I was born in 70. Two the band sounds rested and ready to groove. Three I like hearing the newer material plus old favorites sprinkled in. Four the LA Forum was the site of my first concert without a parent, just me and some friends rollin out to see Prince and the Revolution on the Purple Rain Tour.

All Down The Line and EVOLVIST like this.
  8. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

Would love to hear those too!

DTK likes this.
  9. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

That pretty much matches my top of list but also add Sand Diego 70 and Dallas 70.

BTW there is a good chance the Fillmore 67 shows may have once existed and were most likely lost when Bill Graham's office was vandalized/torched (in the 80s I believe.) Also Alan Douglas once stated San Diego 70 was in his possession. Since nothing has been heard about that since I think he may have mistakenly been talking about San Diego 69. Hope I'm wrong. Dallas 70 has been rumored to exist in BW film for a long time as well.

10. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I'd like to hear those club shows in Germany from late 66. Also a pre fame Hendrix jamming with Steve Cropper at Stax. A pre fame live show with Little Richard where he gets in a mood and really cuts loose. Houston 69 and 70 complete and I agree Honolulu 70 as well.

A few years ago someone here confirmed that the Dallas 70 film does indeed exist but I don't know any details.

11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Dallas '70 is supposed to be a black and white videotape, no, as in sourced from an early in house screen projection? That's what I thought I'd read before. While we're at it, how about the black and white (short) video of Jimi, Mitch and Billy playing the Timothy Leary benefit at the Village Gate in 1970? That one exists and I know some people who got to see/hear it (lucky b******s) :)!

Oh, Honolulu '70 existed in a better (closer) tape source, however the taper lent the master to a friend who never returned it. Sorry, J.D., if you're here and this opened up an old wound :)!

12. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Closer audio tape or film for Honolulu 70?

yes Dallas BW is supposed to be videotape not film sorry for my incorrect terminology on that one.

jhm likes this.
  13. EVOLVIST

I thought I read that the whole Village Gate '70 show was filmed in B&W but the color film was only in short bursts. I could be wrong, though.

Oh yeah, the earlier the better Experience shows in '66. We have a grand total of zero complete 1966 shows being traded.

We have zero from the tour with the Monkees, too...which isn't surprising. I doubt 11-year olds were bringing in tape recorders. Still, it would be super great to hear one.

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

That's correct about the Village Gate footage. I believe the color film is silent while the B&W video has sound.

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Audio tape (audience recording) for Honolulu '70.

16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Great selection ideas there.

17. All Down The Line

Was there a 1970 jam with Ginger Baker?

18. All Down The Line

What was the date of the Village Gate show?

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Plus lots of off-stage stuff. There's a Janie quote talking about enough stuff to put together a mini "reality show" of Jimi. Though the few off stage clips in the circulated RAH rough cut had me underwhelmed.

20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

04-May-1970

All Down The Line likes this.
  21. All Down The Line

Thanks I guess there is a link somewhere to learn more about the show.

22. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I would like to hear the free Golden Gate Park concert the Experience did after Monterey.

Or, any of the small club shows from 1967.

LA
    The Whisky A Go Go (July 2)

NY
    The Scene (July 3-4)
    Cafe au Go-Go (July 21-23)
    The Salvation (August 3-8)

Ann Arbor, Michigan
    The Fifth Dimension Club (August 15)

Review of that show here
    IN ANN ARBOR: JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE IS EXCITING EXPERIENCE . . . SEPTEMBER 16, 1967

After that US tour, The Experience would be be relegated to bigger venues. They had already started to perform in theaters and auditoriums in Europe before they left for America.

SG47, jhm, EVOLVIST and 1 other person like this.
  23. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

This, complete and in SBD quality.

Check out the awesome nod to the Who with the Summertime Blues opener.

EVOLVIST and All Down The Line like this.
  24. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

You and me both. I had an older brother who was at that show. (He was 14 at the time.) He was on cloud nine. He had purchased the UK Track AYE before any of his contemporaries had even heard the name Jimi Hendrix. I can pick him out of a couple of the Jim Marshall shots of the show.

25. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

That's the show with those great shots of him playing the Flying V, isn't it?

All Down The Line likes this.