Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Are they improvements over the same material as found on the Experience box and "First Rays of The New Rising Sun"? Everything "Rainbow'" and "Cry'" can be found on those releases and I would assume the mastering is identical.

2. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Much better mastering on these new releases!
    Warmer, more pleasant, not so harsh.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  3. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I have been a little out of the loop, Gordon ... I was hoping you might know about what might be next.

Atlanta would be a bit underwhelming, but of course, I'd buy at least on CD. Would likely improve on Stages version.

What I'd love would be the rumored multitracks of the Jan 69 European dates ... I can dream can't I?

4. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Dream away Kip but it really is an unfinished work when it comes to two tribes going to war!!!
    Atlanta released as a complete show on DVD, CD and vinyl should be great especially if Kramer works his magic on Jimi's sound. Never my favourite show but at least its a pro recording and thus lead to a great listen and as you say an improvement on earlier release.

But no, I have no idea what is next. Mere speculation based on keeping an ear to the ground and an eye on the internet. Atlanta rumours just seem to gather momentum. I suppose its like the digital is it / isn't it issue in which we can debate it forever or until EH or whoever care to enlighten us.
    For me Atlanta needs [its screaming out for] a make over and updated release, I would welcome this even though its low on my list of preferred live show releases. Please EH, just avoid heavy editing, thanks.

KipB likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Identical? Not at all...these discs are light years better.

KipB and Gordon Johnson like this.
  6. Gordon Johnson

I was reminded quite recently that Experience Hendrix have been issuing vinyl since day one of their tenure of the catalogue. I don't se this as " cashing in ".

7. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

For fun, I re-sequenced these into a chronological CD/playlist.
    In the order when the basic track was recorded, and not including the live Hear My Train.

Works quite nice, imo - starting with My Friend from the Electric Ladyland period, and ending with his last known studio recording Belly Button Window.
    And in between having Experience, solo, Band Of Gypsys and (mostly) Cox-Mitchell recordings.

1. My Friend
    2. Look Over Yonder
    3. Star Spangled Banner
    4. Room Full Of Mirrors
    5. Ezy Ryder
    6. Earth Blues
    7. Night Bird Flying
    8. Straight Ahead
    9. Astro Man
    10. Drifting
    11. Freedom
    12. Hey Baby
    13. Dolly Dagger
    14. Pali Gap
    15. In From The Storm
    16. Angel
    17. Belly Button Window

smokeverbs and John Fell like this.
  8. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Now that I've actually heard these.....A Bernie Grundman EL to run against a Track one I would buy again.

9. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I just got a line on a Hendrix 'Are You Experienced' CD from germany pressed on the no color polydor label. Does anyone know anything about these? There is no 'red' Polydor ring or lettering at all. Polydor W.Germany 847 234-2. here is a pic of it from the eBay listing I won:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131441681524

Very strange, but legit looking edition. I found an older Hoffman thread on it but it really doesn't give any real definitive info on it.
    the brave

10. Gordon Johnson

It is "legit".

11. The Beave

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Good question Beave. The only one I see at this time that was done by BG is AYE. I will be waiting to see the rest.

13. The Beave

Hello Tullman!
    Yeah, this is really weird because the Sony's from 2010, from what we know here on the forum, have never gone out of print. Then this comes out in 2014 with no fanfare from EH that I know of, and they usually fanfare every release, and that also begs the question, because a lot of us were hoping for BG re masterings without compression of the first three on CD.
    Now I really have no reason to re buy AYE because I have multiple new 180 gram copies on MCA and the 2010 Sony's which all sound fantastic. So again, this is a real head scratcher.
    So do any of our resident Hendrix collectors here own the new AYE 200 gram and have compared it with either the 2010 Sony's and or the 1994 MCA 180 releases.....
    We also need a Sticky to a Hendrix site that has all these cataloged, I remember seeing one a while ago but I don't remember any 'Sound' Reviews to help in acquiring the best sounding releases. And I also find it kinda hard to believe that the BG 200 Gram would sound significantly different/better than the Marino 2010 issue.
    So, just color me confused........
    Thanks Janie, I used to be one of you stalwart fans but your really driving me nuts now.
    the beave

14. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have a 2010 and a 2014, the 2010 is 180 gram comes with booklet and gategold and press at RTI? the 2014 is 200 gram and pressed at QRP and is not gatefold and no booklet as far as I can tell they sound identical?

Dino likes this.
  15. The Beave

Thanks Mastodon, good piece of info there. I'm not knocking BG at all, I love his Jimi work on the two cd's and the COL 200 Gram album, he's a very talented engineer. It's just weird this would go out with no real fanfare and what's the point in spending thousands of dollars doing a re master for vinyl only?? Makes no sense.
    the beave

16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

http://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Are-You-Experienced/release/2274330

my 2010 is this one same hype sticker and the bar code numbers are etched in the dead wax,

my 2014 has the same exact etchings but the sticker says 200gram audiophile pressing. All analog Mastering from the original 2-track master tapes by Bernie Grundman. Complete original artwork.
    Manufactured by Quality Record Pressing...

How can that be? the only other difference is the label colors and 2010/2014 but they both have 88697623951-A and 18763.1 (3) on side one and 88697623951-B 18763.2 (3) on side 2 and both LP's have the sterling stamp.

Is QRP in error here ? making 200gram issue using same master as the 2010 and labeling it as BG?

17. Gordon Johnson

We have NO BG AYE stereo 2014!

The 2014 is the same as the 2010 regardless of vinyl weight.

Interesting that there is some confusion with some here.

There has been a switch from RTI to QRP.

interesting how some place such importance on the sticker rather than the other noticeable factors contained here.

Question, in general. Why would EH or Sony make a song and dance about re pressing? Fact is they didn't because that's exactly what the 2014 is ......................... a re-pressing.

The new stamper and a switch of pressing plants is all that has really changed, Grundman has not been introduced to this equation thus far. All this information is in this thread already, fascinated by some of the confusion here. :sigh:

18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Easy there Gordy we need experts like you to set us straight because we forget, also new people come along and do not have time to read pages and pages of posts to come across what we can post again in 2 or 3 posts. Thanks for your info, did we ever figure out why these QRP re presses say BG on the sticker? we should call or email Chad Kassem LOL

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thanks for clearing this up, you saved me some money.

There is confusion because of the sticker stating BG remastered this record and considering BG just remastered RB and COL it is easy to assume that this indeed was done by BG. Sony/Legacy are not doing a good job of monitoring what sticker goes on their releases. It is incompetent if not illegal false advertising.

I admit, I haven't read every post in this thread. There is plenty of digression to sift through.

The Beave likes this.
  20. The Beave

I just compared the two last week. The Classic Mono 200g 'Axis' has a much more fuller bottom (bass) end, around 2db more. The Legacy version (BG mastered) sounds excellent but a bit thin because of the bass, clear winner: The Classic Records 200 Gram.
    But the BG does sound good, it's just if you like 'fullness' in your bottom end, and I do, then the BG comes up just a tad bit short.
    the beave

mikemoon likes this.
  21. The Beave

Yep. And I'll say it again because it NEEDS to be driven into peoples heads- the MONO AYE suffers from Massive tape AZIMUTH/ALIGNMENT ERROR. You can listen along and tell the parts where 'other sources' are spliced into the song as it plays.
    You can hear the 'splice' with the 'out of alignment' source on 'Red House' right towards the end where Jimi sings 'I know her Sister will'.
    'Can You See Me' continues the azimuth error to the rest of the first side.
    SIDE TWO: 'May This Be Love' this track actually sounds fine for the most part.
    'Fire' starts off ok then goes to Azimuth Hell during the ending guitar solo......
    '3rd Stone' continues the Azimuth error from the end of 'Fire'........
    And it goes that way for the rest of the album.

I mean listen guys, anybody who's done recording on cassette knows this sound. I really can't believe that the 'master tape' of the Mono AYE have such errors, I mean it's just beyond me that this came out. And especially with BG's name on it, just doesn't make sense that there isn't even a mono acetate or test pressing from the 60's that they could have used. I just find it hard to fathumn that this came out this way back in 67. It's a technical nightmare and the radio stations wouldn't have played it sounding like this.
    the beave

22. The Beave

:-popcorn:

the beave

this is getting good, and yes I'm just catching up now. but it's Hendrix night in Seattle/Auburn Washington.....

23. The Beave

Again...........

:-popcorn:

the beave

and what's up with my Monterey UME 'RE-1" on side a????????

I would like to know....oh and there is NO fake audience overdubs on this vinyl, which I'm a spinnin right about now.........on Purple Haze.....Next Up..........
    The Classic Records 140 gram 'Voodoo Child' 4 red vinyl Lp.............I 'm finally going to play it after having it for 5 years.....and I got the Tascam Professional CD recorders VU meters all callibrated to see if it is a 'brickwalled' mastering.........
    I love you guys......
    the beave part 2

24. The Beave

Yes it is......
    the beave

25. The Beave

No Brickwalling here boys and girls.
    Bg did a bang up job, I'm on the first LP and it all sounds very good....very very good.
    the beave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.