Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

"This is not the AYE thread you are looking for". PLEASE go where it belongs cos it makes a hell of a confusion.

CoL and RB are superior and well worth it BTW.

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Sorry bout that, I have no idea where my mind was on that one.
    So, I did get both cd's and they both sound wonderful.
    Now I'm listening to the Voodoo Child Vinyl Box put out by Classic Records and mastered by Bernie G. Have I been doa or has 'Highway Child' been released before with no fade out and going into a dead studio stop???? sort of makes the case for Bernie that he DID use the analog masters, and in this case, the 'pre single' mixdown master, which is pretty impressive if you ask me.
    the beave

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

both of the Axis monos, Classic and Legacy are from Bernie Grundman.
    And the Legacy has been mastered a tad louder.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  4. Gordon Johnson

Beave.
    I just took time to check this. This disc was initially part of the box set "Sessions". I have no idea if the disc you have was once part of that set and has been "liberated" or these 4 discs [AYE, AXIS, ELL, CoL] were issued later as stand alones.

5. Gordon Johnson

Try listening to this on an old transistor radio with one crappy speaker :)
    Try listening to this on an old mono record player :)
    Try concluding your findings via these methods, lol.

Its all well and good with hindsight and modern equipment but I sure as hell wasn't aware of "azimuth" issues back in 67 ..................................... I didn't even know the word existed back then :)

Great job you did here Beave, ta.

E.Baba likes this.
  6. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Yes these discs were released as standalones too, and are no-noised, like Reprise RE-1. But worse sounding, because of less Dynamic Range.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ok Gordo, I have undeniable proof that Rainbow Bridge and Cry of Love are AAA. Isaak J. Garvey is part of the team working on the latest Hendrix stuff.

Here is what he told me at the AA site.

Tullman:

The vinyl for BOG was ultimately cut from 24/192 and DSD, final decision made with test pressings. DSD was my vote. It sounded the most analog. Downloads will be available as well through all vendors.

Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge are AAA mastering my friend. That is because the ORIGINAL analog master mixdown reels were in great shape. No remixes were done.

With the Machine Gun release, there was no "master tape". Just multitrack.

The only previous mixes down from the 4 shows were the tracks originally chosen for the original BOG release.

YOU WERE WRONG! muhahahahahaha:p:cool::laugh:

Hi-Rez Highway »

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I just love THE CRY OF LOVE.

9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The DSD download has the potential to be the best sounding version of BOG, any idea when it is coming out and will hi-res PCM be offered as well?

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Me too---but even though it has a crappy cover, The First Rays Of The New Rising Sun is
    more complete.

Clanceman and rstamberg like this.
  11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Unfortunately First Rays... has crappier mastering as well. The re-issues of Rainbow Bridge and Cry Of Love are essential :righton:.

12. Gordon Johnson

Nice one Tullman :tiphat:. Its great when folk take things on and attempt to get to the bottom of issues.
    I don't mind being incorrect with this sort of call but I'm not totally convinced ............ yet! I should have taken the opportunity to ask one of the "supervisors" of the re release when I was last in contact.
    I don't know who Isaak is or to what "team" you reference, please enlighten me. He appears to be part of the upcoming release and not part of the CoL or RB re releases, yes?
    What Isaak says is that the mastering was all analogue, this we know. The original master reels were in great shape, nice to know but that does not equate to EH using them / supplying Bernie Grundman with them [this is the question I should have asked when I had contact but truth is I'm fairly sure of my call, was then and remain so]. The condition of the master tapes would changes nothing to how Eddie Kramer works. We are also fully aware that no re mixes were done for either of these re releases.
    I will add that I have yet to be corrected by anyone from EH regard my calls on these or other releases when it comes to the point of analogue mastering / all analogue and it is these producers / supervisors / engineers that will ultimately call me out on this if anyone will :)
    From all I have read, heard from these recordings there remains only one single indication that the CoL re release is AAA and you don't mention it here. I'm not convinced yet Tullman .

13. Gordon Johnson

Outside of anything else discussed here as with a lot of the recent releases both vinyl and CD this is a solid statement and the only one that matters.

E.Baba and jhm like this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

Simple question that remains, why not state AAA or make the clear and unequivocal statement that this recording and RB are ALL ANALOGUE? If this is what is being served up, why not inform the buying public? After all, they did clearly make this call when they re released AYE [stereo], ABAL [stereo] and ELL back in 2010.

15. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

First heard this on cassette in a 1980 Camaro,burning some sinse weed going to Atlanta Cd on I-85.... never forget that day...

Cassius, skybluestoday and rstamberg like this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Where is Gordy?
    I expected this stubborn and arrogant response. Why don't you check with Isaak? In his quote he said that CoL and RB were AAA. The cover stickers says the same. I have visual evidence and a statement from someone who is in the studio. What do have, but nothing.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Here is where he stated that these titles are AAA mastering.

18. Gordon Johnson

Stubborn and arrogant? Maybe you need to re read what I posted, without the chip!

I have no idea who Isaak is but if he wants to chat that's fine with me, he can contact me through you. You seem to have not answered the earlier question regard to who the "team" is or addressed the question as to what Isaak's involvement was with RB and CoL, if any. All Isaak say's is what is on the label. As for "someone who is in the studio" I'll point you back to the question as to just what Isaak's involvement is with CoL. I do know he wasn't the person who delivered the tapes to BG in L.A.

I have no idea what sticker you are reading but the sticker on my copy of the CoL vinyl simply states All Analog Mastering By Bernie Grundman. But your covering old ground here! I will say that this statement does not equate to an AAA vinyl disc. I will again point you in the direction of the 2010 re releases of AYE /ABAL/ ELL and that each one clearly states All Analog, All Analog Remaster from ........! Go check it out, see if you can spot the difference here.

I will say that I have had no comment or question from anyone at EH who have no doubt read what I have had to say regard these releases. Till then I'll remain stubborn and arrogant, well at least in your mind :p:cool::wave::righton::edthumbs::wiggle::evil::biglaugh:

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^ Isaak seems legit to me. At least I have a name and a sticker you have absolutely nothing to base your opinion on. Threw the wrapper and the stickers out when I opened the records.

Read this thread. Maybe you can contribute..Hi-Rez Highway »

20. Gordon Johnson

Says it all!!!
    I don't question Isaak's status, but again you fail to address the questions asked.

I have a name, maybe more than one and I kept my sticker, for what its worth!!

I clearly see you don't understand what makes an all analogue record. My opinion is based on detailed research as to what information is available and an understanding of the component steps required to make an all analogue record ................................ and a sticker, ha ha.

Again, my mail box is open to Isaak via a PM on this site. More than happy to ask him a few questions directly.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You should reach out to Isaak, not the other way around.
    Grundman can and does do AAA mastering in his studio.

22. Gordon Johnson

I have no intention of chasing Isaak up.

Lets get one thing straight here. Bernie Grundman masters vinyl one way and only one way, all analogue, hence why it correctly claims to be All Analogue Mastering [By Bernie Grundman]. There has NEVER been any question as to CoL not being an analogue master ............. NEVER!!!!!!

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ok, fair enough. So what are we arguing about?:shrug:

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

With all due respect to you Gordon, I emailed Michael Fremer:

Hello Michael,
    Would you happen to know if the Rainbow Bridge and Cry of Love are AAA? I read your article but is was a bit vague.
    Thanks,
    xxxxx xxxxxx

Fremer's response:

They are and they really sound great...

Michael Fremer
    editor, analogplanet.com
    senior contributing editor, Stereophile

Fremer knows Bernie Grundman personally and takes an interest in knowing these types of things.

25. Gordon Johnson

I have a lot of time for Fremer and respect his opinion.

You did well getting this comment. :shtiphat:

hodgo and Tullman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.