Jimi mono?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Mar 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I'd like to hear some opinions of the mono *mix* of Axis. I'm not so much interested in the various pressings and their quality but in differences in the mono mix vs. the stereo. Anyone like the mono mix better? I've never heard it.....

Chris

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, I haven't done a serious side by side study of it, but it just mostly strikes me as okay. Maybe a little different here, little different there, but nothing dramatic. Unlike Sgt. Pepper which seemed to have been an intensive mono mix with a slapdash stereo mix, Axis I believe was the opposite with the mono mix thrown together quite quickly. And I love this album in stereo, LITTLE WING is HUGE, just like it should be.

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Yeah, Kramer has said in interviews that the mono was a rush job. Aggreed about Little Wing. It's just so frustrating that it fades out so early. It fades away just as the solo is heating up. The alternate take on the MCA box just kills...

Chris

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I've never heard the mono mix either - aside from "If 6 was 9" on a single a loooong time ago... I remember that song had a significantly different mix from the spoken part until the end...

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the urban legend that the "original" stereo mix was lost, stolen, left in a cab - and that the common mix we all know and love was put together "slap dash" to replace the missing masters? And that the mono mix was the only remining evidence of what the album was SUPPOSED to sound like?

Yeah, yeah, yeah - sounds like BS to me too, but I doubt I'm the ONLY one who heard this (or a similar) story...

5. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

That's covered in Eddie Kramer's book. BTW, it's only side 1. Supposedly Jimi took the master tapes to a party and left them in a cab. Chandler also mentions that they were never able to recreate the original (lost) mix of "If 6 Was 9."

See "Hendrix: Setting the Record Straight" by John McDermott with Eddie Kramer, pgs. 97-98.

Here's a review of the mono Classic Axis that talks about some mix differences:

http://www.thenightowl.com/reviews/jimiaxis.htm

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

It's been documented in numerious books. Apparently the Mono mix was prepared at the same time as the original Stereo. After the stereo was discovered missing. They had one day to remix it in stereo to meet the release schedule.

There is also numerious differences in the Stereo and Mono versions of the 1st LP as well.

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have the mono 'Axis' and it's fab! It's a different feel than the stereo version. I don't think one version is better than the other. The mono lp has more of the feel of a band playing (a bit more bass too) and the stereo lp has more of the cosmic feel (which was the intention I believe). 'Little Wing' in mono is superb. The drums have a bit more reverb on them and more impact. I think it's great and worth it having both versions...

Todd

P.S. Funny, this topic came up because I was listening to the stereo version a few times this weekend.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Get the Classic Mono Axis soon. Not like they're in short supply, but it's a great listen. They did a nice job on it. I just wish they gave ya a rice paper sleeve with it. Every copy I've fondled has scuffs. Still rumours linger when they might get AYE in Mono as well. I bet it'll be when the license for AXIS runs out.

But the cover is nice. Glossy, shiny, yummy. Class job.

9. Todd Fredericks

I agree with Sckott. If you have a turntable then you should get it. The mono first pressings require a loan to purchase. I was lucky because my copy doesn't have an of the scuffs but I know that problem very well. A few weeks ago Classic Records was selling it at a discounted price (I think $20)...

Todd

10. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

I only bought my copy a couple of weeks ago from a place that had been out of stock but then had another copy suddenly. It was factory sealed with the disc in a blank lined sleeve and an additional empty paper sleeve with printed notes.

I'm curious Sckott, did your copy come in only a paper sleeve?

11. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

They tried to recreate the mix of "If 6 was 9" and failed, so someone was sent off to Noel Redding's house to pick up a 7 1/2 ips tape copy of a rough mix that had been done earlier. Apparently it was on a 3 inch reel and was all wrinkled as well. The tape was copied across to the 15 ips master and used. Explains the drop outs and hum in this song, and created a source of amusement for Eddie Kramer when complimented on the mix of "If 6 was 9"

12. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Have you found a copy of this that doesn't sound like crap? I spent almost $50 on a late 70s/early 80s Japanese pressing. I was going to CDR it, but it was so bad I didn't even bother. Sounded like AM radio. I just sold that LP on ebay, and lost money on the deal. :(

If a good mono version of AYE exists, I'd love to hear it.

BTW, I've heard that the original US mono Axis differs from the Classic mono. I was supposed to get a CDR of the original, but the person never came through with it.

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Yes the first issue UK Track is good sounding the 70/80's Japanese was taken from a vinyl source. I paid $200 for the UK Track version. The Uk Track Mono Axis is also better sounding than the Classic issue. I've never had a US Mono for comparison. The Canadian is also not bad but also not necessary since the Classic was issued.

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Mine came inside the printed sleeve. Wow, so they actually used another lined sleeve? Interesting. Yeah, and of course when you put a 180g'er in a paper sleeve that's not lined, you know what happens....seam splits. It wound't bother me if it were a plain sleeve, but the printed sleeve looked beat up as it was! Folds, splits...hey! That's my record! Waaaaah!

15. Todd Fredericks

Don't worry Sckott. Last weekend I picked up a couple OJC's at J&R Music World. One was fine and the other was a mess. I opened up 'Mulligan Meets Monk' and the paper sleeve looked like it was runover by a truck. It had folds, tears, wrinkles, etc. The record was very scuffed up because of this and on top of that it was heavily warped. Needless to say, it goes back to J&R. The other OJC was perfect ("Monk at the Blackhawk'). It's a gamble but for $7.99 per album not too much hassle. I think my Classic's 'Axis' came with the separate inner sleeve. I got mine a few months after it was released. I wonder when they made the switch (which was a good idea)?

Captain Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.