Jimmie Spheeris appreciation-folk/rock/jazz - Album By Album*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Oct 25, 2016.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. lemonade kid

Only 34 when he was killed by a drunk driver....just hours after finishing his comeback album sessions.

The Nest

Child From Nowhere...explores a soft jazz sound on piano, sax.
    Jimmie Spheeris - Child from Nowhere »

The Nest, keyXVII and Parlophony like this.
  3. lemonade kid

Jimmie was part of the mid-sixties Orange County folk scene that centered around a club called the Paradox, along with Jackson Browne, Tim Buckley, Steve Noonan, Greg Copeland, and Pamela Polland, among others. Jackson provided backing vocals on some of Jimmie's work, and also namechecked him in his own autobiographical song, "Barricades of Heaven" ("Jimmie won that free guitar...") "Isle of View" is still a pretty stunning album, even forty years down the road.... --signedRW

[​IMG]

SG47 and keyXVII like this.
  4. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

One of my time favorite tunes...by anyone!

:tiphat:

5. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Been listening to his first two albums the past month and have to say I can't wait to listen to his remaining works. Love his voice and music.
    A breath of fresh air from the past that still sounds new today. My absolute favorite so far:

6. lemonade kid

Yes. (Love your Tim Buckley avatar--Tim was the best)

keyXVII and Clonesteak like this.
  7. Clonesteak

Now I have officially listened to his entire catalog and have to say I love it all!!! Just an amazing talent that deserves to be heard by more people.
    I would love them to release a box set of his complete works on vinyl. All of his albums seem to be recorded well.

Juggsnelson, keyXVII and lemonade kid like this.
  8. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Time for a nicely redone Jimmy Spheeris box set. Just noticed that all of his albums are up on Spotify and have been enjoying them all evening. Catch them while you can -- his music (and licensing) moves in mysterious ways.

I found an original "Isle of View" at a record convention not too long ago -- sadly, it sounded surprisingly flat/dead even though the record was clean and in good shape.

Such great music, though. Got to see him play three or four times. Terrific guy.

9. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

Picked up Isle Of View a couple of years ago and enjoyed it so much I kept an eye out for more of his stuff in the used bins. Eventually found all four. Listening to "Ports Of The Heart" right now.
    [​IMG]

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Like Isle of View a lot more than the other three. But he was a talented guy, taken too soon...

In the mid/late '70s, Columbia moved Isle of View into their limited super budget line. This was before the advent of The Nice Price. These albums had a list price of around $3, and were often sold without an inner sleeve (for added cheapness). (Another title I remember being that series was the Byrds Greatest Hits Vol 2). So there are probably multiple pressings of that one.

PsychGuy likes this.
  11. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I haven’t explored too far beyond “Isle of View”, but isle of that one.

keyXVII and PsychGuy like this.
  12. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Really enjoy Isle Of View. Saw Jimmie open for The Moody Blues a really enjoyable combo.

Jim Walker, keyXVII and lemonade kid like this.
  13. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I agree "Isle of View" is the best (most folks would say so), but there's gold to be found on the other albums == they have more variety (but also more filler).

Just listened to the title track on "The Dragon Is Dancing" -- stunning, kick ass song with Chick Corea on keys. "Ports of the Heart" has some great stuff, too.

Spheeris was going to some interesting places musically before it was all taken away by some fool drunken driver.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    The Nest, keyXVII and lemonade kid like this.
  14. keyXVII

keyXVII Forum Resident

Love all Jimmie's output; I'm especially fond of this song; it's so imaginative...

The Nest, davidkeith and lemonade kid like this.
  15. keyXVII

keyXVII Forum Resident

No kidding; I'm heartbroken and furious thinking about that...

The Nest and lemonade kid like this.
  16. keyXVII

keyXVII Forum Resident

lemonade kid and bluejimbop like this.
  17. lemonade kid

So tragic. The night he finished recording his last album, I can imagine him feeling so high on the prospect of his new album, heading home late at night on his motorcycle, the wind on his face...tragically killed by a drunken driver. It's of little comfort that the driver was convicted if vehicular manslaughter.

RIP, Jimmie.

For Roach, for Jimmie...god I love this one. After this discussion, it brings a tear indeed.

keyXVII likes this.
  18. lemonade kid

Come back...

BluesOvertookMe and keyXVII like this.
  19. lemonade kid

Somehow, Isle Of View, is tough to hear as so many songs seem to be of longing or loss or nostalgia, that only serve to make us miss Jimmie more. Still, I can handle a few tears just to listen to this masterpiece.

Let It Flow

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    keyXVII likes this.
  20. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

So weird that the final album seemed to come and go.

I wish there would be new pressings of his four main albums....or that the used LP gods would find better copies than I got right now.....

The Nest, PsychGuy and Clonesteak like this.
  21. Clonesteak

My dream would be IR Intervention Records to release his four albums. True audiophile pressings is warranted. I want better copies too.

lemonade kid and davidkeith like this.
  22. Fortysomething

Great idea!

Clonesteak likes this.
  23. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Amen. I was shocked how bad my "Isle of View" sounds on LP. Might be a budget version, but still ... this music was carefully recorded and deserves a good telling.

Clonesteak likes this.
  24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I had a roommate that played Jimmie’s first two albums a lot. I really enjoyed the music and now I regret not picking up my own copies when they were still “new music.”

lemonade kid likes this.
  25. Fortysomething

A reissue of his first four albums is always on my wantlist.

I hope the masters were not lost in the Universal fire (I assume since he was on Columbia that didn't happen).

Clonesteak likes this.