Jimmy Barnes the album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 23, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Jimmy Barnes was a force to be reckoned with. He sang louder, played harder and pummelled himself into the hearts of Australians. Probably the most successful solo artist in the country and this was after winning the hearts and minds of Australia with his compatriots in the legendary Aussie rock band Cold Chisel. - Discover Cold Chisel here

After Chisel, Barnes wasted no time in getting it together and had a band together about a month after Cold Chisel's legendary Last Stand concerts. He started touring and writing and Michael Gudinski, after missing out on Chisel, signed him to Mushroom records.

Chisel's last album Twentieth Century, released in 1984 after the band had split up, went to number 1 on the Australian charts on April 23rd 1984. Barnes' debut solo album Bodyswerve went to number 1 on it's week of release on October 8th 1984. In fact Barnes first six albums all debuted at number one in the charts, an amazing feat that is likely never to be matched.

For his first solo recording, Barnes said he wanted people he felt "safe with". Drummer Ray Arnott had recorded with Barnes on Cold Chisel's final album, Twentieth Century. Bruce Howe had been a bass player with Fraternity that Barnes had sung with for a short time in 1975. Barnes said, "As far as I could tell, Bruce only played upstrokes, so his sound was very aggressive." Mal Eastick had played with Stars. Seeking a second guitarist to make the band more "hard rock", Barnes chose ex-Dingoes guitarist Chris Stockley, who played, "old-style rock, like Little Richard and Gene Vincent.

Bodyswerve was a statement from Barnes that he was all about some rock music and it was ushered to the public by the single No Second Prize, that had been demoed by Chisel in 1980, but never recorded. It was written as a tribute to Allan Dallow and Billy Rowe, two of Chisel's roadies that had died in a truck crash.

So I'm going to do my best to Lead you through Jimmy Barnes's first ten or so albums.

Please comment and add any information you have, but please try to stay with the songs we're at.

[Moderator Note: Thread index here: Jimmy Barnes the album thread ]

2. mark winstanley

Bodyswerve 1984
    This album is a power pack of rock music, there are certainly variances in style and plenty of songs well worth looking through. This album hit the Australian market just at the right time. The public were well aware of Chisel and many were longing for a change of mind and the band to get back together. This album hit the Australian market like a lethal force of nature and we pretty much all got swept away with it. Barnesy was bringing the noise and we all yelled along.

3. mark winstanley

Vision
    The lead track track from the album seems to obviously be written for his wife Jane and is almost the answer to the Chisel song Rising Sun (Discover Cold Chisel here ). It's a steady pounding rock song with a typically powerful and heartfelt vocal from Barnes. For me as soon as I heard the song I was into the album.

Lyrics
    No time to delay
    Now I know that
    You'll be back this way

Heart beating stronger now
    Can't wait much longer now
    They'll never change
    The way I feel for you

You look like an angel
    Vision coming down
    From the sky

I feel the the wind rising now
    Heart sympathising now
    They'll never change
    The way I feel for you

I run and hide
    And I go
    With nowhere in sight
    If you'd only come back to me
    You'll never be alone
    Yoy knowe our love
    Is like a vision
    Vision coming down
    Coming down from the sky
    Know you'll never change
    The way I feel for you

Don't change
    Don't change

My vision of you

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

Daylight
    I believe this was the second single from the album. This song, like No Second Prize, was a Chisel song that didn't make it to album, and the Chisel version was released on the Teenage Love album in 1994. Another steady rocking song with some nice female backing vocals and some great guitar from Mal Eastick. It's driven along by a pretty straight beat some nice thumping bass and of course Barnes' belting out over the top.

Lyrics
    Lock the door
    Shut the window tight
    I close the curtains
    Just got to block out the light
    I feel the sun
    Shining in my eyes
    I'm just trying to cover up a little bit of daylight

Hide my face
    I don't want to be seen
    Is there somebody out there
    Am I awake or asleep
    I feel the sun shining in my eyes
    I'm just tying to cover up a little bit of daylight

I suppose I should get out of bed
    Not sleep all day
    I should get up
    Get out of the house
    But not till the end of day

Little bit of daylight
    Little bit of daylight
    Little bit of daylight
    Little bit of daylight

Well I'm just trying to cover up a little bit of daylight
    Yes I am
    Well I'm just trying to cover up a little bit of daylight
    Yes I am.

I've got to cover up
    Hide a little daylight
    Stay out all night and all

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I love an album which was released as an S/T record in Britain (opening track No Second Chance) which was, I believe , some sort of compilation. The "follow up" was his "Journey" album Freight Train Heart, which I dearly love but which,I imagine, might be regarded as a step in the wrong direction by die-hard fans (no apologies, AOR is one of my favourite music styles).

I've lost touch since then, and to this day haven't heard a note of Cold Chisel's music but, I have to say, Mr Barnes has the most wonderful set of pipes.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Gudinski was so desperate to sign Barnes he told him to make an album and he'd release it no matter what. Barnes and Stockley recorded a whole album of old time country music in the downtime when recording Bodyswerve and presented it to Gudinski who said it wasn't what he was expecting but a deal was a deal and he'd put it out. Barnes then presented him with the actual album they'd recorded much to Gudinski's relief. (rumour was that Barnes was going to put the country album out after Soul Deep to show the other side of his influences)

7. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

You should acquaint yourself with Mark's previous thread (linked in the opening post) where he has done a stellar job on that set of pipes (possibly at its best) in Cold Chisel and you will then also meet the equally excellent singing and playing of Ian Moss in particular - as perfect a foil for Barnes as Rolie was for Perry. The album you are searching for was called in Australia "For The Working Class Man" and also featured some Journey (Cain/Schon) influences before Freight Train Heart.

8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice.

I feel I have some enjoyable listening experiences to look forward to. :righton:

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

I reckon you may like Chisel. I am not at all against the stuff he did with Jonathan Cain, I reckon Freight Train Heart is my favourite Barnes album, I just found Too much ain't enough love a bit hard lol. It's a good song, but it didn't work for me, the album is awesome though. There's a link up above for the Chisel thread. Try listening to the East stuff first I reckon
    By the way, you will recognise some songs off here from the album your talking about, they will just be a little more raw.

Talisman954 and carlwm like this.
  10. mark winstanley

Promise me you'll call
    This was probably my favourite song off the album, it's a ballad of sorts, but done in true Barnes style. One thing, to me, about Barnesy was I could hear him putting every ounce of everything he had into everything he did. This is why, again to me, his ballad type stuff worked so well. This wasn't some crooner singing pretty and sweet about his loved one, this was a guy whose heart and head where going to explode if he didn't get it out. Maybe I'm weird, but I like that in a singer ... I like the sweet singers too, but it's just different.
    This song starts out with some nice Mal Eastick Lead work over some thumping chords. Then Barnes comes in with his soulful and melodic vocal. It's often overlooked how melodic Barnes was for the style of music he played.

Lyrics
    When you came along you were everything
    Nothing else compared to the love you gave
    Say it's going to last, say you'll never leave

Now that love's around you are everywhere
    Nothing else I found like the love we shared
    Say it's going to last, say you'll never leave

If I gave you all that you want
    If I gave you all that you need
    If I gave you all that you want
    Will you promise me, promise me you'll call

Won't you promise me you'll call

carlwm likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

Sorry, here's the album cover
    [​IMG]

12. mark winstanley

No second prize
    This was the lead single from Bodyswerve and what a great song. I'm sure sports teams all over Australia used this at some point to pump there guys up. The song starts with some clean guitar and a half beat rhythm then with a scream from captain Jimmy the groove kicks in. He starts singing in a lower pitch and tells his story and then moves up in intensity as we move to the main focus. Again we have some great guitar from Mal Eastick, who turned out to be a good substitute for Mossy in the context of Jimmy's songs on this first album.

Lyrics
    Oh Yeah

I heard about a person who had a broken heart
    With nothing to drive him on, no hope no spark no flame
    He couldn't see at all tears they were blinding him
    He kept it all inside, the guilt and all the pain
    You know I say I tried to warn him
    They had him backed up against the wall
    I hope I'm not too late

No one can tell you exactly what you have gotta be
    You've got to stand your ground and fight to save your life
    It may be hard but ooh ooh it's the only way
    Always remembering there ain't no second prize
    There ain't no second prize

You know I say I tried to warn him
    They had him backed up against the wall
    Why can't I stand up and try to tell him
    They've got me backed up against the wall
    I hope I'm not too late

No one can tell you exactly what you have gotta be
    You've got to stand your ground and fight to save your life
    It may be hard but ooh ooh it's the only way
    Always remembering there ain't no second prize
    There ain't no second prize

13. mark winstanley

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

15. Darren Richardson

Darren Richardson Forum Resident

I prefer the live version of this one (on Barnestorming), but I guess you will get to that album later.

16. I prefer him with Chisel (everything they did was first rate) but if I was going to pick one Jimmy Barnes solo album it would be this one.

17. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Yea I'm with ya his solo career is more geared for a pop/rock radio audience, Chisel was a more natural musical environment where he was an important cog but not the wheel, Moss went soft pop/rock radio in his first solo projects as well, they were still great live performers but I checked out on the solo albums long ago.

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Appreciate the advice!

Definitely going to explore more. Somehow missed your Cold Chisel thread. When I get a few minutes, I'll read through. I'm bound to pick up a load of tips.

Looking forward to hearing familiar material in a different form.

19. mark winstanley

I love Jimmy Barnes solo stuff, but Chisel was something special. I hope you like their stuff. They played a lot of different stuff, so don't listen to one or two songs and take that as what they are.

OptimisticGoat and carlwm like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Boys cry out for war
    This is a pumping rock song of the hard variety. One of my favourite tracks off the album with a nice riff and another b@ll tearing vocal from Barnes. This song just grinds along with a great groove and pretty much states what Barnes intention was with this album.

Lyrics
    Sitting here in this coffee shop
    Not knowing what to do
    Not knowing whether to start or stop
    This fight ain't between just me and you
    All the boys they've been talking
    They've been saying your doing me wrong
    Yes they have

And all the boys cry out for war

The man sitting there in Washington
    He don't know right from wrong
    He don't know whether to stand and fight
    Or turn around and run
    All the boys they've been talking
    They've been saying your doing me wrong
    Yes they have

The man sitting there in Washington
    He don't know right from wrong
    He don't know whether to stand and fight
    Or turn around and run

21. mark winstanley

Paradise
    This was our party song back in 84-85. I was 15-16 and working in the bank ... such a bad choice of jobs for me .... Anyway there was a big drinking culture in Australia and that was magnified in the bank and when we went out to party this song pretty much summed it up. This is a straight up fast boogie type rock and would have the crowds moshing before the mosh existed back in the day. All good fun and great memories now.
    @carlwm I'm guessing that the picture in this video is the album you had ... it was different again to the "Working Class Man" album.
    Jimmy Barnes - Jimmy Barnes

Lyrics
    Well I'm a week away from paradise
    And now I'm gonna have some fun
    To forget about work
    I'm gonna
    Have to drink ten gallons of rum
    I'm gonna dance all night
    And sleep all day
    I'll probably spend about
    Three weeks pay
    I've got a week away from paradise
    And now I want to have some fun

And now I want to jump and shout
    I'm gonna head straight down to every club up town
    And probably get chucked out
    And I hope the lord lets me sin
    As long as I can do it tomorrow again

Well I'm a week away, I'm a week away
    I'm a week away
    I'm just a week away from paradise
    A week away
    A week away

When they cut you down and make you cry at night
    I'll still be the one to wipe
    Those tears straight from your eyes

I'm gonna head straight down to every club up town
    And probably get chucked out
    And I hope the lord lets me sin
    As long as I can do it tomorrow again

When they cut you down and make you cry at night
    I'll still be the one
    To wipe those tears straight from your eyes

I don't wanna talk I don't wanna fight
    Just wanna get up and drink all night
    I'm a week away and now I wanna have some fun

Well I'm a week away, I'm a week away
    A week away
    A week away
    A week away
    A week away
    A week away
    A week away

carlwm likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

Here's a gig from those early solo days. The Playroom 1984.

Another Steve and barking spider like this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yes that's the one.

Thoroughly enjoying all these videos. Many thanks!

24. mark winstanley

OptimisticGoat and carlwm like this.
  25. mark winstanley