Jimmy Page continues to blame Phil Collins for ruining LZ's Live Aid set!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Oct 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

does a snide post about Mr. Page in this thread count if one always takes a cheap shot at his recorded and live performances :D

2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

If relevance is merely current level of commercial success, virtually none of the artists discussed most often here are relevant.

What happened at Live Aid with Zep was pummeled into dust ages ago. Jimmy Page must be bored out of his skull.

ARK and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  3. violarules

violarules Senior Member

First time 'round these parts? ;)

ARK, joy stinson, Sean and 5 others like this.
  4. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

HaHa That is so embarrassing. Did Mick or David actually watch this before they let it go out for public viewing? I am glad it exists though.

5. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Shows you how boring current music is now.

6. plugmeintosomething

That whole Phil-on-the-Concorde thing was just so dumb.

squittolo and musicfan37 like this.
  7. plugmeintosomething

Probably didn't do Phil any favors. I know I was already getting tired of him and Live Aid made me almost actively dislike him! Enough with the Phil already!

Sean, Rufus rag and 2141 like this.
  8. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I am referring to more than commercial success. And I agree that Jimmy Page is bored, or perhaps he simply cannot let go of a resentment and/or see his part in things.

9. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

You should really bow out of this conversation and stop embarrassing yourself:

10. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I think Phil Collins makes a similar comment in his autobiography! There did seem to be a time when Phil seemed to be blamed for everything by particularly the British media.

11. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

He fell off the wagon once during his 1993 solo tour, reinforcing for him that he really cannot drink. He's been sober ever since, as far as I know.

ARK, squittolo, Sean and 2 others like this.
  12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The fact that he's still talking about it, IMO, basically just says how little of Page's post-Zep career there is for him to talk about or be asked about in interviews, so he keeps dragging up the same tired crap.

ARK, joy stinson and 2141 like this.
  13. erocky

erocky Senior Member

Robert Plant is missing about an octave of his vocal range to even try this gig in the original keys. Jimmy Page's guitar was just not good sounding. Those two were a disaster at Live Aid.

squittolo likes this.
  14. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

He comes across like he has the emotional intelligence of a 13 year old child. Hmmm.

ARK, joy stinson and PopularChuck like this.
  15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Everything about Zeppelin at Live Aid was horrendous -- and Jimmy's own dreadful performance is the worst of it.

squittolo likes this.
  16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

You may still be in movie land.

Queen was very solid but good gawd of hyperbole….

ARK, squittolo, joy stinson and 5 others like this.
  17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Relevance is totally subjective. British singer/songwriter Laura Marling is relevant *to me,* cos I think she's excellent.

I don't think anybody's said "no" to Jimmy in decades, aside from Robert Plant.

MTV had only been on the air for three years. Their original audience was young. I hadn't turned 22 yet when Live Aid happened. Live music on TV in the '70s was rare. All those acts, on air, all day?

Sure, Phil on the Concorde was dumb, and despite my love for Genesis, and respect for Phil's talent, Phil started getting annoying by the summer of 1985, even to me. Dude was omnipresent.

18. Herman Schultz

Ouch. I thought the "P" was for plagiarism.

squittolo and misteranderson like this.
  19. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Oh please. There’s way older recordings and and events talked about on these forums. Do young people even buy or care about quality recordings these days? I’d argue most of the popular music is worse these days, too. And no, I am not a grumpy old man. :uhhuh:

20. Herman Schultz

Good grief. I've never seen the Live Aid set, but the Atlantic records gig was abysmal. If Live Aid was even worse, I'll have to think of a word worse than abysmal. :shake:

21. Detroit Music Fan

I thought it was fun! :pineapple:

If you take it too seriously, yeah, it was crap. But just taking it as it was, it was a silly stunt, worth a laugh. Like, it isn’t hard to sit as a passenger, LoL! Not much skill involved in sitting.

ARK, anth67 and Herman Schultz like this.
  22. peteham

peteham Senior Member

You would think being caught in your ignorance would slow you down, give you a bit of humility, but nope. Hurray for message boards!

23. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Me too. There was nothing dumb about it considering the context. But context is for losers these days.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  24. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

You don't think Queen were the hightlight of Live Aid?

25. Detroit Music Fan

It was released prior to the event as I recall. It got a big MTV release. Then they played it at Live Aid on TV. Then they sold the single afterward.

You think it’s bad? Watch it with the sound off. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Like I said, Zep was not the only disaster at Live Aid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.