Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

As I expected, not a counter argument in sight. :agree:

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

As is yours too. Adios.

3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

What you offered wasn't an argument. You're just trolling, like marcb was. Bye.

4. It's not the view, it's the attitude.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No it’s the view. I see it all the time with Zep threads. Anything less than laudatory gets the echo chamber riled up.

6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

It’s both! :D

Chris Bernhardt and marcb like this.
  7. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner for ‘best post of the thread award!’ :righton:

No, no, you're wrong, 'cos marcb said so! And you're a fanboy, whether you like it or not.

8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Everyone is so busy arguing that they missed all the previously unheard audio that Jimmy Page released. Too late now!

Roberto899, lambfan68, RK2249 and 5 others like this.
  9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

No really, it’s the attitude. It’s not like this is the only thread where the negativity of your tone and penchant for focusing on areas of disagreement while ignoring areas of consensus is manifested.

And it’s just silly to claim that you’re simply a victim of riled-up fanboys, when some of the alleged fanboys are longtime members of Royal-Orelans, where they regularly post extremely critical (and usually specific and well-informed) comments about this stuff.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  10. DVEric

“Trolling” — the last refuge for the person with no argument and no ideas.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Go back and read the original question and my response.

“Because maybe not that many people thought it was as good as you did?”

That’s all I wrote. I didn’t say anyone’s opinion was right or wrong. I didn’t say anything about my opinion of it. All I said in essence is perhaps it wasn’t that popular because it wasn’t that popular. No more, no less.

Then full defensive ad hominem attack mode ensued.

No, really, it’s the view.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I had to search this thread for your posts, because I was having a hard time finding this "argument" and "actual statements" you keep saying you've made. Unless the search missed something, you've posted five comments in this thread, four of which are admonishing other members for not responding to what you initially said.

That leaves your first comment, which I quote here in its entirety:
    Page repeatedly said the outtakes were going to be a "window" into how the tracks came together; and if memory serves he also said said the Coda deluxe edition was going to have some cool stuff on it. I'm not sure how that's deceptive, and I'm not sure how you arrive at your "95% junk compared to what he said" claim. I'd be interested to see examples or how you arrived at that 95% tally. Please feel free to provide some specifics to help flesh out your claim.

Beyond that, your statement that the rough mixes were "an insult to Zeppelin fans" is an opinion to which you have every right, but it's hardly an argument. Ditto for the claim that "people will bend over backwards to defend the bonus material" - not an argument, and not really even an opinion. It's just an extreme characterization of people who don't share your level of disdain for that material, so you can make your own extreme characterization sound more reasonable and moderate.

I do have this thread on my watch list, as I'm sure many others do too, so I will keep an eye out for more details of your argument about 95% junk and Page's deception about the companion audio material. Thanks!

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I didn’t have as much problem with the box bonus stuff as many - perhaps because I had no real expectations - but to claim they would be a window into how the tracks came together was half- accurate at best.

Some definitely was, but for a decent amount, the window was fairly opaque. If you compare a decent amount of it to, say, the Alternate Moondance or Alternate Fleetwood Mac, it comes up short.

Coda did have some cool stuff on it as claimed.

14. David67

David67 Forum Resident

And I thought there might be something worthwhile reading regarding a potential 50th anniversary release. Oh well, maybe next time...

Judge Judy and tmtomh like this.
  15. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

You mean in another 50 years? :shrug:

David67 likes this.
  16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This is the worst thread ever. It promised so much, and delivered so little. :D

17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Maybe the RSD single was it......unheard....

18. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Just listened to the Whiskey show. So cool. That first song is epic. Unique. There is no real discussion or even argument in this thread. It's speculation and bichyness. How did it get so long. Just speculation and complaints. Like waiting in line at the DMV or for a store to open for a big sale. No fun.

zphage likes this.
  19. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Mook, RockRoom, VatiBobo and 2 others like this.
  20. DVEric

You have made a lot of good points, however, when I was referring to the things I’ve said in the past, I wasn’t only referring to this thread. You started a thread on this toplic about a year ago (maybe longer), in which I commented extensively — to which you agrees with most of what I said. However, I am off to work so I will have answer you in detail later. BTW: you are one of the people who come here that I respect, you have a lot of interesting ideas and are flexible with dialogue. What I don’t like is when people (not you) speak for others or use what I call the “David Lynch Excuse” — the only reason you are critical of DL’s films, is because you don’t get it. That kind ignorance/arrogance rubs me the wrong way, and Page fanboys pull the shiitt all the time. Til later, have a good day . . . :agree:

tmtomh likes this.
  21. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

I think it's time to put this thread to bed! It seems some members are unable to have an adult conversation without resorting to trolling and personal attacks. I was going to delete some offending posts but on second thoughts I shall leave them intact so that anyone interested can see for themselves who derailed this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.