Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I would say he has earned the right to look upon his past fondly.

Groggy likes this.
  2. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I've read rumors of there being two recordings in particular......one of the 'New Yardbirds' Scandinavian shows, as well as a Marquee Club show (possibly the first show billed as 'Led Zeppelin'). Pure speculation of course, but I hope there is some truth to those rumors!

Hearing 1968 concert material in soundboard quality is right near the top of my 'holy grail' list (right up there with the 4 hour Boston Tea Party show, Bath '70 soundboard, Japan '71 multi-tracks, etc). For me anyway, 1968 live material would be a dream come true type release!

Rockin' Robby, LarryP, Sean and 5 others like this.
  3. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Yes he does. The previous was said with tongue firmly in cheek.

Terry likes this.
  4. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

I know jimmy has broken promises about playing live but are there actually many examples of him promising releases of zeppelin material and then not doing it. To me vague ststements like there will be more live releases in the future is not a specific promise . But are there instances where he said there is zeppelin material coming next year that were not delivered. Maybe there has been? Page has said there have been releases he wanted to do but could not get the others to agree.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ah makes sense. But if they take that approach they'll probably miss something. Perhaps that's what the Dylan and Beach Boys camp was thinking? They'd be better off taking that approach for anything worth releasing. At this point everything could've left the vault.

Fillmore tapes...unless the tapes in question are of much better quality than those already circulating it won't make much of a difference. That's the problem with this public domain stuff when it comes to boots. A lot of the stuff I've seen that is taking advantage of the new copyright laws hasn't been of better quality than the boots out there. I haven't conducted a thorough analysis but of the few I've heard here and there, nothing really improved. I'm referring to non major label releases and not anything done by a major. I'd love to hear a better version of Texas Pop but I bet what we're likely to get is someone copying the sources already out there and releasing that.

"As Long As I Have You" - they would have to pay the publishers if that song isn't in the public domain. If it is in the public domain then they wouldn't need to pay anything since they're just covering the song.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  6. Adam Ryan Watson.

I wonder if 1968 material will be released to protect the copy write. I know there is debate about when zeppelin started recording of the board every night but you would think they would do it from the beginning as it would be a very useful tool for the band in their devopement stages to gauge their progress

7. Adam Ryan Watson.

Dylan and the beach boys have the tape hoarder angle covered as well.

8. live evil

live evil Senior Member

According to Imwan there’s an updated HTWWW coming on March 23rd.

I hope that’s not what Page was referring to.

9. Adam Ryan Watson.

I don't know if this is true but i read that even with uncirculating vault material if you don't protect the copywrite and you release the material in the future anyone can copy it once it's released and sell their own version. Of course the quality would most likely be inferior . But if you don't plan on releasing the material it doesn't really matter.

10. Adam Ryan Watson.

If that true I hope that just means it's the first of a series if releases this year. Unheard zeppelin better be more then thank you and tangerine.

11. Adam Ryan Watson.

If they are releasing hwww gain on March 23 you would think it would be announced very soon.

12. Adam Ryan Watson.

Shirley somehow managed to make zep sound very unzep on that release to much compression.

Rockin' Robby and bobcat like this.
  13. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Surely we'll get a vinyl HTWWW, right Shirley?

Edit: my use of Shirley was a play on words 'cuz I said surely.....I saw the post above mine wih mention of Kevin Shirley.....weird

Sean likes this.
  14. Adam Ryan Watson.

Cool
    Hopefully evsd has access to those tapes I would love soundboards from the first 3 gigs.

keef285 and Isaac McHelicopter like this.
  15. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Yes indeed, the Spokane gig and the early '69 stuff sound great - I especially love the Whiskey gig that includes the superb version of For Your Love and hopefully they also did it in '68

Rockinrob likes this.
  16. Adam Ryan Watson.

I'm pretty find of the sound quality of the Dallas boards from 75 not amazing but very good.

17. Adam Ryan Watson.

18. Adam Ryan Watson.

Without the soundboard releases of the last 30 years the amount of live zeppelin bootlegs we we would have to chose from would be depressing. Very few band's of the classic rock era have near the amount of circulating soundbaord recordings that zeppelin has. Band's like pink Floyd rush and black Sabbath have very few or next to none. The zeppelin boards are a godsend. And i would take a 1970 zeppelin sb tape over most any multitrack they have. Those sb tapes give me great joy. But I think when many of us comment on the quality issues of these board tapes it's not that we are ungreatful or don t want them released we are just trying to be objective and view these tapes how page sees them and he unfortunately does not seem to view them as release worthy the way we fans do.

keef285 and ohnothimagen like this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Norco74 likes this.
  20. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Sure. :rolleyes: They were reportedly an extremely loud band live - so probably sounded even more compressed in person. Oh dear! :)

21. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

It says tracklisting TBA in the other link.Still This is great!

23. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

i think its a crime to re-release HTWWW before repairing the vandalized TSRTS.

24. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Maybe TSRTS is in the cards too.

25. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I wonder if the new HTWWW was remastered or just a straight re release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.