Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

Wasn't it around this time last year that a new soundboard release from evsd was announced which turned out to be Seattle and then we got the heartbreaker tease. I hope there will be an announcement soon about the next evsd soundboard release and that immigrant song is a teaser from the next release. I will be disappointed if we get another 75 board or some middle of the road 77 show . I will gladly take a 77 show if it's l a or msg.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  2. Adam Ryan Watson.

With soundboards for both those shows the previous soundboard from the 29th and all the audience sources for both those shows they will probably take milking the cow to a level even they haven't attempted yet. Thinking about all the different osaka releases and box sets they could do makes my head spin and then factor in the osaka shows from. 72 for the ultra monster super deluxe 71/72 osaka definitive edition box.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  3. I would suspect you'll be disappointed. It seems 95% of the board tapes that EVSD has access to are from the '75 and '77 tours. I'm hoping with the excerpts we're getting from Japan '71 that they will eventually release a full Japanese '71 show from the board. That would be the most important Zeppelin bootleg release in a long, long time. Much more important than the Seattle Supersonic 3/21/75 show.

Rockin' Robby and ohnothimagen like this.
  4. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

It's generally accepted that the widely-known 9/29/71 tape is not a soundboard recording. The new EVSD single will be the first release of a soundboard recording from that show.

ohnothimagen and Spadeygrove like this.
  5. Adam Ryan Watson.

Yeah its widely thought that it's crude multitrack mixdown . There's a level of stereo separation with lots of left right planning not present on other zeppelin boards . But the point is no matter what type of recording it is evsd will no doubt repackage that recording with the new source.

6. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

That Immigrant song sounds pretty damn good!

keef285 likes this.
  7. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

A concert recording would not qualify as unheard, would it?

marcb, Sydster and dee like this.
  8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Yes absolutely

9. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Only if the concert was unattended, I suppose.

snipe likes this.
  10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Oh please. Really? C'mon. It's one thing to be pedantic on an internet forum, it's quite another to do it when you know better.

If you want to get mindlessly pedantic, there is no such thing as unheard Led Zeppelin, as there were certainly members of Zep's entourage and record co. employees who very likely heard things fans wouldn't even dream of, let alone the band themselves, who naturally heard everything.

So there's no such thing as "previously unheard music." Am I right?

11. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

It's okay, but not as good as officially released stuff, or even a ton of other Zep boots already in the wild. Probably has more to do with it being a Japanese 71 gig more than anything else.

Don't get me wrong though - I'd LOVE to hear more from that era in excellent quality!

One song for 65-bucks though? Sucker born every minute.

12. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

No kidding, I get Emails from Eris S and almost spit my coffee on my monitor when I saw that. I guess someone has to pay for all his concerts:crazy:

aroney likes this.
  13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

It will be interesting to see if a potential bootleg release impacts what Jimmy decides to.release. Of course the reverse is true too. If Page releases a complete Japan show will the bootleggers change their release?

Could be an interesting game of chicken. Who will blink first?

Kossoff is God likes this.
  14. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Hopefully Page. He's not getting any younger and neither are we. :p

Plus, it won't cost 65-bucks per song. :D

15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The bootleggers charge far too much, and whatever they put out will be torrented within weeks of release. So, effectively, people who still collect these things are paying for the right to be first, and, in some cases the first to share with others. Zeppelin releases make the rounds pretty fast once they come out.

Jimmy could beat the bootleggers so easily, if he released both Osaka gigs in as complete a manner as possible. But he will never do anything like that. It will be edited into one seamless presentation, and all polished up, which I really don't mind. I haven't bought a bootleg in at least 15 years anyway.

16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`ve got some but most I found for peanuts.No way I`d pay a fortune though.
    Metallica is one of those bands that released booted(and non booted) recordings as super deluxe boxsets and succeeded in beating what was out there.

17. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

FTFY

ohnothimagen and Deek57 like this.
  18. Adam Ryan Watson.

The osaka concerts could be released unedited very easily there are no performance flaws with those concerts that would need editing but page would still make silly little fixes and plants voice was still in great early shape and would not need any work but page would fix every little minor crack . And page would not pay for all the cover song snippets which is a shame.

19. Adam Ryan Watson.

Just listened to 3 quarters of the immigrant song soundboard from the 29th. Unfortunately it fades out shortly after the guitar solo starts up to that point it's a killer performance plant struggles slightly in couple of spots but he still sounds great and the band is very tight and jimmy sounds very fluid st the start of the solo . The sound quality is great and far better then the previous soundboard or mixdown tape . In terms of sound quality it's not quite as good as black dog from the 28th but it's very close just sounds slightly flatter. It sounds like a an excellent board tape but I can't rule out a mixdown tape because it sounds fuller and richer then z typical board tape and there seems to be more cymbals in the mix than a typical board tape and best of all plants voice is not drenched in reverb like on the black dog tape. It's exciting times to be a zeppeli. Fan one way or another we will get a zeppelin japan 71 and with evsd we will get unedited shows. I just hope we will get an osaka show this year I will be very dissapointed if evsd gives us anther 75 show. For the 50th they surely will gives us something top shelf.

keef285 likes this.
  20. Adam Ryan Watson.

Just went and tried to listen to immigrant song from osaka again and it seems to have disappeared u wonder of it was taken down.

21. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

No, you're not. How about a deaf musician who records himself, and doesn't play the recording to anyone else? That would be previously unheard.

coniferouspine likes this.
  22. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Supposedly, the leaking of the 02 rehearsals delayed (and almost prevented) the eventual release of the Celebration Day product. LZ Inc was pretty pissed off about that.

23. Adam Ryan Watson.

Hopefully at this point the work on whatever tapes he is releasing is finished and is on the final stages of production and is too far along to be impacted by bootleggers . I wonder if these osaka bootleg releases are being leaked from tapes being worked on for official release or if they are from evsd usual source who supplied them with the Southampton and royal albert hall work tapes.

24. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Brilliant!:yikes:

Page has just got to be working on these shows!I`d gladly take any one version but imagine if there are several versions of certain songs?Immigrant Song,Dazed,Whole Lotta Love from both Osaka and Tokyo.:)
    It`s amazing how tight the band sounds here just as is.

25. Adam Ryan Watson.

I hate to think what evsd would charge for a whole osaka show and just imagine what they will charge for the inevitable multiple osaka box sets they will release .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.