Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I only meant that Zep has sourced material from bootlegs before -- "White Summer" (on the boxed set) and "Sunshine Woman" (on the latest BBC Sessions set) are both sourced directly from inferior-sounding bootlegs. Plus, one of the menus on the 2003 DVD features a track from the "Listen To This Eddie" bootleg, and several of their authorized radio programs have featured material from one of the 1980 bootleg CDs.

My point is that Zep has a history of allowing bootleg material to be mixed in with their official recordings, and therefore I would not be surprised if the "Led Zeppelin Experience" was set up in a similar way -- with the "official" live recordings (TSRTS + HTWWW + DVD material) alternating with tracks from bootleg CDs.

2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

If you mean the White Summer from the Playhouse Theatre BBC June '69 on the 1990 box, it sounds fantastic. What is it inferior to? It and the rest of that session is the best recording the BBC did of Zep.

Sunshine Woman is admittedly pretty crappy. I don't think it was all that necessary to be released officially.

There is the October '69 Paris Olympia show as well. I don't know if it was actually sourced from a bootleg.

Taken together, HTWWW and the DVD are about seven+ hours of live material. Saying five minutes from Listen To This Eddie synced with video from Birmingham '77 is a rehash is a bit of a stretch.

Every one of the big acts has had their BBC recordings and other FM broadcasts bootlegged, so by your definition they're all rehashing bootlegs.

3. thenobs70

thenobs70 Forum Resident

Who says the 50th has to end this month?

There's still time for the first half of next year. I don't think TSRTS was even planned to be released this late in the year, and I believe whatever they had planned was delayed until next year because of that.

Now if we hit summer 2019 and nothing has come out, then we'll complain. But right now they're pushing the book.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I wish Jimmy would just put out full shows warts and all like Bright Midnight did with the Doors.
    I would like to see every band I love do that though.
    No trickery just master and release as was documented.

5. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

That's not what I meant by "rehashed".

What I meant by "rehashed" is that the band has previously used bootlegs for source material on official releases. And I believe that this precedent is a sign that the band is also willing to use bootlegs for source material in "The Led Zeppelin Experience".

Therefore, I am not expecting "The Led Zeppelin Experience" to be chock full of previously-unheard quad mixes from Jimmy's vault. I expect it to be a mixture of released material and rehashed bootlegs, straight from Jimmy's Japanese CD collection.

6. PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin Forum Resident

Aside from the Paris show on the Deluxe Zeppelin I Remaster what old bootleg cd's has Zeppelin been to rehash? What source material specifically came from bootlegs?

JediJoker likes this.
  7. It has been detailed in previous posts on this page.

8. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I have been previously challenged a few times on this forum and thread but I am still convinced that we are now at the bottom of the barrel as for Zep unreleased material. It’s either not existing or JP won’t release it due to subpar quality (sound and/or performance).

As every Zep fan, I would expect more but it is what it is...

vegafleet, JediJoker and Flynbryan like this.
  9. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

It’s the same with The Doors. They didn’t professionally record many shows.

10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Quad mixes? Those might be cool, but what most fans are looking for is unreleased live material.

Anyway, you're saying White Summer from the BBC Playhouse Theatre June 27, 1969 broadcast, released in 1990, was sourced from Jimmy's CD collection. He can't have had much of a collection in late '89/early '90. The first LZ boot CD was Zurich '80, and it came out in 1988. A tape box from the Playhouse Theatre session is pictured in the BBC Sessions Super Deluxe Edition, but you're saying it's all just from a CD.

I'm done with this thread 'til there's actual information about a forthcoming release, or hard information about what's in the pipeline that won't see the light of day,just like the live Genesis project that got snuffed.

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

No one. But it is not as if the band announced that their 50th Anniversary was starting in 2018 and for fans to get ready for a year's worth of releases through 2019. If they choose to do that, fine. Technically, LZ1 was released in 1969, so if there is truly a LZ1 box set in the works, it will not be out of place in 2019.

12. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I am expecting,at the least,a 50th anniversary Lp remaster for LZI and LZII. Hopefully from the original masters. A nice live show would be great but I won’t get my hopes up.

13. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

As JPJ has stated, LZ time is not rendered in the same way that others render time, or something like that.

14. Seriously? So soon after the recent remasters? I’m not expecting that at all.

rockclassics and Rockin' Robby like this.
  15. Norco74

This thread is older than a year old now...

footlooseman likes this.
  16. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

And the song remains the same.........

17. Norco74

and Still Dazed and Confused about the 50th releases...

Roberto899 and jay.dee like this.
  18. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

My best Jimmy Page impersonations reading this thread...

:biglaugh::evil: :unhunh: :imwithstupid: :biglaugh:and the encore... :shtiphat:

Thank you!

19. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

The anniversary celebrations with "all sorts of surprises" carries on , now with the official LZ snowboard!
    Oh man, these people are really old and have lost their minds. Zero music for the big 50 anniversary. This is certainly worst than for the Doors.

jay.dee, Giorgio and footlooseman like this.
  20. Mine shipped today!

21. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

The winds of Thor are blowing cold....

jay.dee and tmtomh like this.
  22. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

Hell yeah! I’m gettin nothin and liking it!

ODShowtime, Mark J and footlooseman like this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

They’re going to release another box set of the debut album so soon after the last round of Super Deluxe editions of the catalog? I doubt it.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Central Park & Texas Pop would be a nice DVD.

Rockin' Robby and footlooseman like this.
  25. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

They slayed at those shows! Texas Pop was a hot show by a real hot band! Just ****ing killing it. Jimmy shredding like a maniac, Bonham a total animal while Plant and Jones were right at the top of their games. Would be an amazing DVD.

marmalade166 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.