Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Nope.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. june72

june72 Well-Known Member

Just checked Amazon and I couldn't order DVD new in the USA if I wanted to......

floyd likes this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That’s true, however, both Plant and JP insinuated there would be unreleased music issued for the 50th, so one can presume clearances had been agreed to prior to the actual 50th anniversary.

4. june72

june72 Well-Known Member

And with that, I think you'd have to then speculate and say that if Plant and Page approve then the other parties just follow suit.

I mean, I simply cannot see JPJ or the Bonham estate holding back a Zeppelin release!

5. bem

bem Forum Resident

Amen brother. I have been disappointed as well. So much good stuff that could be and should be released.

6. That was the point of my post.

superstar19 likes this.
  7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Nearly a hundred pages and nothing newsworthy at all. :(

bobcat, ODShowtime, supermd and 3 others like this.
  8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

At this point, it's safe to say that NOTHING happened for the 50th anniversary

It was on 12 January this year (when Led Zeppelin I was released), and Jimmy Page simply delivered NOTHING

The worst ever "50th anniversary" in music

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

9. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Just wait, the 50th anniversary of Van Halen I is only 9 years away...

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  10. :frog:Jimmy Page presents an Eddie Van Halen production of.... :shtiphat:

...nothing.

11. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

.. That first round of Zep CD-era reishes came out - that first boxed set that collected most of their studio recordings including " Hey, Hey, What..." which had TV ads proclaiming " LED ZEPPELIN IS BACK " was followed by a 2nd box of everything studio that wasn't in the first boxed set!!!!!!!!!!!:laughup:
    I always found that amusingly Spinal Tap-ish:edthumbs:. We're both of those boxes on US vinyl? I remember the first one being so.

12. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Remember when "Coda" was released?

"We're Gonna Groove" was easily one of the best tracks
    yet I barely heard any airplay. Weird.

gpalz and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Because maybe not that many people thought it was as good as you did?

JediJoker likes this.
  14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

IMO it's more reasonable to hold hopes for the next cool bootleg than anything official.
    IMO the boots outdid the new official releases for 2018-19 so far.
    Every time I get used to the idea that the last shoe has dropped, something comes out.

15. Coda was was a great album and WGG is a phenomenal song. You’re not ‘most people’ so perhaps speak for yourself.

Zep Fan, Liquid77, DiabloG and 6 others like this.
  16. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The second one was never on vinyl.

The first one was - I never had it on CD, to be honest.

17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

A) What has Plant actually "cockblocked?" Any actual thing that got somewhere near post-production?

B) 2014-16 bonus material isn't lame.

C) What big classic rock act releases archival material without editing?

tmtomh and John Buchanan like this.
  18. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Comparatively, what Jimmy Page said the outtakes were going to be, and what he delivered, it really was 95% junk. The rough mixes (that comprised most of that material) were an insult to Zeppelin fans. It’s actually amazing how far people will bend over backward to defend the bonus material — Jimmy Page at his most deceptive, and that’s actually saying something.

19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

:agree::agree::agree:

Especially given what's been available on bootleg for years, if not decades, to get what we actually got was pathetic.

J_D__ and DVEric like this.
  20. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I like a lot of the bonus material.

Might as well close this thread though, we ain't getting any 'new' music officially.

21. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I think that's one thing we can all agree on...that ship (Zeppelin) has sailed...

22. Someone speculated a while back (not sure if on here or not) that there was something in the works to do with the Japan 1971 shows but that got pulled when the Osaka soundboard surfaced.

I think people were maybe expecting a bit much regarding releases of live stuff to coincide with the anniversary; Page being something of a perfectionist if there is anything it'll come out as and when he's done with it, which to my mind means anytime in the next ten years or so. I don't think he's prioritising doing it for the 50th anniversary year and probably never did.

Also, I don't think there is a huge amount of live stuff unreleased in multitrack format. AFAIK, the only stuff that's definitely confirmed is: Japan 1971, Southampton 1973, the last three nights of EC 1975. Southampton would make an interesting release but it's a pretty loose and low-key show; not the kind of thing Page would readily release I'd imagine. Japan 1971 is (and probably was) the choice, but the multitracks were reviewed in 2003 and discarded for release as not being of requisite quality in comparison to the HTWWW ones. Nevertheless these shows are legendary and I think this may be what Page meant by saying that there was material which gave a different angle on things to TSRTS, HTWWW, the DVD etc.

The mystifying decision is Earl's Court. Those shows were iconic and having listened to the bootlegs for the last two nights (24th and 25th) I see no reason why a single release can't be put together out of the official recordings for these using the strongest bits of each show (the multitrack for the 23rd has a problem in that the bass drum apparently wasn't recorded on the night). To my mind it's the most obvious candidate for a live album archival release. Then again, it could be that Plant/Jones/whoever has vetoed Page from releasing them.

Jimijam likes this.
  23. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

This. I bet something live and unheard eventually does come out. Just not in 2019. I mean, it took 5 bleedin' years for the DVD of the o2 show to emerge! What was it Jonesy said? "5 years is like 5 minutes in Zeppelin time".

I'm still betting (and have been for more than a year now) on it being a recording from Montreux.

24. Regarding multitracked shows, there is an even more interesting possibility, though, which I think is probably a very long shot but worth commenting on. As is generally known, the 1977 tour has no multitrack recordings. However, a couple of concerts were filmed - Seattle and, more crucially, Pontiac, where the band broke The Who's attendance record and played a very good show in the process. The footage, unlike Seattle, hasn't surfaced, but there are photographs clearly showing the cameramen onstage.

The interesting thing about listening to the bootleg from Pontiac, despite it sounding rather distant, is that Achilles Last Stand was played that night at a much more steady tempo, similar to the studio version. The song was being played prior to and after this show at a very frantic pace usually, but the Pontiac performance is a lot more disciplined and less all-out wild, suggesting that there was something that night encouraging the band to play a version that emphasised clarity instead of speed. Someone recently mused that this could well be proof that Pontiac was not just filmed but multitracked as well.....

25. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Interesting point about Achilles, but it could have been slower because of the gear Jimmy was on Jimmy's state of mind at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.