Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perhaps so, but typically on an off night for Jimmy on that tour Achilles sounded rather lacking; this version doesn't, it's just steadier. Plus the Pontiac show was an 'on' night for Page I think.

TBH I'd settle for a better audience recording or SB of the show since it's a strong performance.

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’m glad I’m able to find other music to enjoy, and not pin my hopes to a press release. Worst 50th anniversary? No...you guys are just bummed :)

Little Feat formed in 1969...anything from Rbino?! Grand Funk released their first album in 1969...anything from Capitol? Nope...plenty of bands get ignored for their anniversaries, regardless of how many years.

Mook likes this.
  3. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

I'm sorry but I disagree with how you stated these shows were filmed. Those shows were not "filmed" for release. They were simply videotaped for the projection screens. The video shots are boring and the band wouldn't even bother with releasing them on the 2003 DVD. They also feel most of Earls Court is the same thing - boring which is why most of those shows were not released although they would probably do something with the audio one day as they were recorded to multitrack. That being said Ponitac is considered one of the better 1977 tour performances (Seattle definitely wasn't) so there is always a slim chance it could be considered but without a multitrack for the audio I don't see it happening.

4. I knew they were filmed for the screens and not for release; I simply wondered if the performance of Achilles Last Stand on the Pontiac show indicates whether some sort of multitrack recording was done for it.

EC wouldn't be visually thrilling as a standalone DVD I agree; but audio-wise it seems the logical thing to put out.

Ram4 likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Don't think so. There's no live 77 mutli track recordings.

6. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

There aren't any multi-tracks from 1977. The Pontiac show soundboard tape is just really, really well-balanced and very close to the master (rumor has it that this tape was initially given to the crew for lighting cues). Multi-tracking random shows in 1977 would have been a mammoth undertaking. It would have taken at least two tape machines running and multiple operators to capture all the long jams, not to mention a loooot of wide tape (you get like 18 minutes per reel?). Jimmy'd nickname was Led Wallet for a reason.

7. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

It's awesome. Monstrous, even.

It's better than their last two albums COMBINED.

8. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

And let's not forget that the tour ended short. They had recorded multiple shows at the very end of the 1973 tour and the very end of 1975 plus the near the end of the 1972 tour in LA and Long Beach. You would think they'd have done the same at the end of the 1977 tour. They clearly weren't that keen on spending money to record a lot of shows which I still don't understand. Jimmy always said their songs were at their best live where they could grow. Everyone raved about how great the band was on stage; especially in the early days. You would think recording a lot of shows would be a given. I just hope there are some nice surprises in the vault that we are not aware of.

footlooseman, marklamb and eddiel like this.
  9. june72

june72 Well-Known Member

But I think you just proved your point there. The songs onstage had time to grow and were at their mature growth (for that year at least) towards the END of the tour.

There is a chance you are correct that they would have multi-tracked some later show had 77 tour continued. But then again, the JPJs and Plants of the world may have adamantly declined given the state they witnessed Jimmy in night after night.

breakingglass likes this.
  10. Yeah I think the end of the 77 tour was planned for recording but it was cut short before the planned dates.

You'd be surprised at what bands didn't tape in the 70s; I don't think Sabbath did much taping of their shows at all, and I think Floyd did less than might have been expected of them. The lack of an official PF live album from the 70s (apart from that archival release they eventually put out with the DSOTM reissue) really is very odd.

footlooseman likes this.
  11. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

A lot of so-called "50th Anniversary" releases (e.g. Beatles, Dylan) from various artists are driven by European copyright laws allowing unpublished material to fall into public domain after 50 years.

Many record labels and artists choose to monetize the material and publish it, rather than let bootleggers legally publish it in Europe. If the material is published by the actual rights holder before the 50th anniversary calendar year concludes, the copyright is extended.

If that's what is driving the Zep 50th release/s with unpublished material, then I would guess some sort of release of Zep material recorded in 1969 will be published before the end of this calendar year.

As an analogy, all of Elvis' 1969 live Vegas multi-track recordings (including unpublished ones) are being issued in a box set this year for the 50th.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  12. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

It seems like a lot of people are missing the point of this thread (please refer to the title). It seems fairly obvious that some live material will eventually come out in the next 10 years, but that’s not the point. The point is that the 50th anniversary came and went with nothing released.

Page doesn’t need more time, because this is something he should have been working on 3 years ago. Where do people get the idea that he only recently started compiling and is just running behind schedule because he’s a perfectionist? That’s crazy talk. The opportunity of a successful 50th anniversary has been completely squandered, and there will be nothing forthcoming that is an official “anniversary” related release, despite whatever may come out down the road.

Giorgio and mark winstanley like this.
  13. There's a Pontiac soundboard tape in circulation? Did it surface recently? All I'm aware of is a distant, boomy audience tape.

14. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Unless this promised release of unpublished material is driven by 50-year copyright expiration/extension motivations and the lucrative Christmas gift giving season. If that's the case, you may see a release including unpublished 1969 material timed for Q4 2019. They have until the end of year to copyright protect it. Their marketing team can still call it a "50 year anniversary" celebration, since it still occurs during the 2019 fiscal year. They will sell more units if they release during the Q4 Christmas shopping season vs. a January 2019 first album release date anniversary, as sales would have been lower in Q1.

Norco74, Flippikat and JasonA like this.
  15. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

For the 50th anniversary of both Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold As Love, Experience Hendrix marked the occasion by...putting a note on the website on the 50th anniversary of Monterey Pop. At least Page & Co. have acknowledged the 50th is a big deal. They then have proceeded to completely drop the ball in regards to following through with...well, anything!

rockclassics and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

The plan was to record one of the enormo shows near the end of the '77 tour, if memory serves, Philadelphia JFK Stadium.

ODShowtime and mark winstanley like this.
  17. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

That was never the plan. But many of us figured that show would have been one to record at the very end.

eddiel likes this.
  18. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

My mistake!! I got out of the obsessive Zeppelin bootleg thing a few years ago. I was thinking about the Cleveland "Destroyer" tape.

There's lots of speculation about multi-tracking but in reality they had to have known what they sounded like on most nights in 1977, and let's face it, it wasn't all that great. They had other priorities.

If we get any new 1977 jumbotron-feed footage all my money is on Houston. All of it.

Brett44 likes this.
  19. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Semantics really. They announced 2018 as the 50th anniversary year of Led Zeppelin, so I suppose anything coming in subsequent years can be called anything they want to call it......like the 50th anniversary of LZ1 and 2, and the 50th anniversary of LZ 3, etc. They chose the year as 2018, made an announcement to the public, delivered some bunk, and that year has now passed. As for the big Christmas live album sale, they could have done that in 2018, the year that they announced the anniversary, but they didn’t.

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It's hard to disappoint more than the Doors 50th, but LZ might have done it.

Who said LZ have the Pontiac video? There's a reason they only used Seattle 77 pro-shot teasers since 1990.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A fanboy response to the obvious answer to a fanboy question if there ever was one.

Coda quickly became a cutout for a reason. Several probably.

22. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

And they might have had similar plans in '75 before that tour was cut short. But The Fates decided, for whatever reason, that it just wasn't to be.

What could have been...

23. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Radio stopped playing the coolest songs off albums a long long time ago.

They pick instead the song most easily accessible to the masses, like "Darlene" which I like least from Coda, because I'm discerning.

Also on that list of least likes, is HHWCID.

24. You’ve become so predictable. Not quite annoying enough to ‘ignore’ but close.

25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It was a contractual obligation record released two years after Bonham died. It was a bit of a surprise, (unintentionally) destined for die-hards from the get-go. But you knew that already, hopefully.

Coda probably still sold a couple million, and there are a few things on the original album I love, which makes me a fanboy, I guess. The expanded edition has some cool stuff on it too - it might be the best and most varied of the expanded 2014 remasters.

It's kind of odd to me that "fanboy" would be hurled at anyone as some sort of derogatory term when there are 80,000 members here, all music nerds of varying degrees, and all likely fanboys of at least one artist or more.

Cutouts? It's been 37 years. Who cares about what albums were cutouts in 1983?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.