Jimmy Page's forgotten great album! (The Firm: Mean Business)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, Aug 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

1 good song - all the king's horses.

1 half/good song - live in peace...and rodgers did it better on his own album 'cut loose'

the other 6 songs are just not very good at all.

2. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

Shame this band never eventuated. Sounds much better than the Firm.

3. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Respectfully disagree--LOVE the bass on "Radioactive".

4. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

Agreed. Jimmy Page was never really into it IMO. Just sounds like he is going through the motions, marking time until something bigger and better came up. Unfortunately it never really did.

ohnothimagen and John Fell like this.
  5. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I like the production on the 2nd album a bit better but the 1st album has their best material but also their worst moment; that awful cover of You Lost That Loving Feeling.

Kossoff is God likes this.
  6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I haven't heard either Firm album in years but I agree that the albums were disappointing (I expected so much more from a Page/Rodgers lineup) and Page sorta sleepwalked through the whole project IMO (at least he was off smack by that point). I sorta get the idea that Page, at least, intended The Firm to be like the anti-Zeppelin/BadCo...in that regard, at least, they did not disappoint!:laugh:

I didn't think Outrider was all that great outside of a song or two but I thought it was still better than either Firm album. As far as I'm concerned the best things Jimmy Page did in the 80's were the Death Wish II soundtrack and the solo on "One Hit To The Body" by the Stones:righton:

7. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

How does the cd sound? I see it was mastered by Barry Diament.

8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Does the asterisk in the thread title actually refer to something ?

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like both albums. I am sure nice used copies can be had for little money. I saw the Firm at the Boston Garden. They banged out the place.

10. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I think it means that a moderator edited the title. Like if it originally only said "Jimmy Page's Forgotten Great Album" and then the moderator came along and added "(The Firm: Mean Business)".

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    GoodKitty likes this.
  11. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Again thanks, had this on US pressed Cut-out vinyl sometimes in the 90's. "Radioactive" was on MTV at the time? Perhaps, will stream it on Spotify probably 20 years ago since I dumped the vinyl.

12. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Either one of The Firm's albums would have benefited greatly from this unreleased song:

DPM, bhazen, Sean and 4 others like this.
  13. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I like both Firm LPs and both get regular spins I wish they put out a couple more albums before they called it a day.

14. James Hennings

James Hennings New Member

I thought both albums were great with the first being the better of the 2. Live in Peace being my favorite song from either

tinnox likes this.
  15. fasterhorses

fasterhorses Forum Resident

It has always seemed to me that Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers never became more than the sum of the parts in The Firm (band, both albums). There were hints of what might have been, but the hints never blossomed to magic.

16. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass

Sounds great. Almost identical to the vinyl.
    I have both records on vinyl and CD, they are not that different from each other

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Whoa ... that's a burner!

Chris Slade is truly underrated. What he's doing there is superhuman ...

18. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Dated today?!

Hell, Tony Franklin's bass sounded dated at the time! What an annoying bass sound!

I did think the tunes on the 2nd Firm lp were better than on the first -- I never thought Midnight Moonlight was all it was cracked up to be, and I thought the Solomon Burke cover was tired, but I really liked All The King's Horses and Live In Peace.

Roberto899 likes this.
  19. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Loved the album when it came out.... still love it now! Contains some brilliant Page guitaring.
    Hopefully it & the first album will come up for deluxe &/or remastering while we’re all still alive....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.