JLB8 UK Lennon LP Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rpd, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone know about this set re sound quality vs UK originals?

2. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

IIRC this is the limited UK set that came out around 1981/82. I don't own it, in fact I don't think I've ever even seen one but I do know of it.

As for sound quality, I'd imagine the LPs would sound close to, or even as good as, the original pressings from the 70s. EMI were still pressing decent Beatles vinyl (group & solo) in the UK well into the 1980s. I would say you'd be pretty safe with this collection.

3. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Avoid - rushed out after Lennon’s death and farmed out to other pressing plants they are some of the worst UK pressings ever made. When through 4 sets of boxes and could not find a quiet record in any of the boxes.

4. rpd

I think I bought mine earlier that that. I might need to do some more checking. Are you saying the vinyl was noisy or they were "bad" for other reasons?

whistler likes this.
  5. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Yes, vinyl was extremely noisy. Wonderful looking packaging inserts and labels included in box set but vinyl was absolutely awful.

6. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

:eek:

How wrong could I be?

I must admit, I am surprised by some of the negative comments here. I would have thought that EMI had simply put stock issue pressings of these LPS in the box set (like they did with the Beatles' BC13 blue box). After all, John Lennon's Apple LPs were still in print in the early 80s when this set came up.

Also, I seem to recall the box was not pressed in huge numbers so I'm REALLY surprised that they would have contracted out the pressings.

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Wasn't there a German pressing of this box?

8. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I think so, and I believe it was also issued in Japan.

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

There's a box with a silver cover w. John's pic on it and another issue in a white cardboard box with red letters (much like a pizz box). I'm not sure which country issued which version.

mud-

10. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I think the UK box is red.

11. fraser

fraser Forum Resident

I don`t know if it applies to the Lennon set but I don`t think my BC13 uses stock issues - mine all have mirror finish laminated sleeves made of thick card the like of which I`ve only seen on early issues ( apart from lack of flipbacks) . For eg my BC13 white album looks like an original sleeve in weight and texture - the spines on this and sgt pepp are wide too , like they tried to make them look like originals. I`ve not seen this on individual issues from that period.I know there has been mention on the forum of the MOFI box being different pressings to the individual issues, this sounds as if it may apply here too if Alan is anything to go by.

12. rpd

my silver box w/john's pic are all the uk pressings....

13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The UK and the Japan box were both the Silver box with a picture of John taken around 1974.

The reason EMI may have farmed out those LP pressings was right after Lennon's death the demand for his back catalog was huge and EMI probably couldn't keep up on their own.

The "pizza" style box is the type I own and they are the German pressings and I recommend this one. All the LP's play quietly and have very good sound quality.

Avoid the Japanese box. It's not only more expensive (if you can find one) but the pressings were cut at low volume and the dynamic range suffers even though the vinyl is quiet.

Lastly there's an Italian box which has a blue cover and along with the LP's includes several Apple singles that weren't on LP's.

14. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I agree, a really nice sounding set.

15. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

I bought a Lennon Box in 1981 here in Germany. It was a very rough white box with red lettering (I think the described pizza-box style), I don't remember a catalogue number. Unfortunately I didn't keep the box. The LPs were mixed Dutch and German pressings.
    Martin

16. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Your BC13 is probably an early issue from the late 70s...the laminated sleeves were still being made in 1978 when the set was introduced. I have some late 70s UK Beatles pressings with sleeves like you describe although my BC13 dates from the early-mid 80s, by which time the sleeves had been changed to a thinner, matt finish.

17. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

My memory must be going bad :o

I could have sworn the UK box was red pizza-box style with a pic of John in the centre.

18. fraser

fraser Forum Resident

Thanks Kipper for the BC 13 details , can you just tell me if the box changed to the heavier more textured vinyl type for the later issues or were they always both available?.

19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

If I recall: white box with large red stenciled letters. No pic.

mud-:D

20. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I believe the switch in box type took place early 80s...my later issue BC13 has the heavier. more textured feel to it. I believe the earlier issues of the box had a smoother covering - certainly the ones I've seen dating from 78/79 have.

21. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Damnit!! I'm definitely losing my memory :laugh:

22. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

:laugh:

23. rpd

I must have gotten lucky... I have the UK box. Cleaned the LP's this week on my 16.5 machine... Mine are all very quiet and sound great.... :)

24. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Now, that is in line with what I would have expected for this set - as per my initial reply...nice, quiet UK EMI pressings which sound great too. If this is the exception rather than the rule (which I'm still struggling to believe!) then yes you did get lucky :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.