Joan Baez: Hated by Dylan fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Joan Baez’s last record is better than all of Dylan’s records from the 80s to now put together.

ooan likes this.
  2. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Perhaps in the main, but there was this little ditty from 1861 by abolitionist Julia Ward Howe, more popular and well known than all Civil War songs put together:

The Battle Hymn Of The Republic - as performed live by Joan Baez

zphage likes this.
  3. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

She utterly owns “Love Is Just a Four Letter Word.”

Screw the haters. What have they given the world?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  4. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Jan Baez is an extremely annoying human being. She has always lived in 1965 and she rarely talks about anything but.

5. I like her politics.
    She has a rudimentary, but effective acoustic guitar style.
    She has mostly great taste in choosing cover songs.

But the high pitched soprano vocals with way too much vibrato ?
    Ah.....no.

Boom Operator, mark ab and elaterium like this.
  6. speedracer

Saw her perform Baby Blue with the Grateful Dead in Oakland in 198? Really nice

Joan Baez and The Grateful Dead -
    It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

Also , off topic - for folks who like Baez and the Dead, just now discovered there is a full unreleased Joan Baez / Grateful Dead album : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OkB9sRzRkjw

7. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I have always detested Joan Baez whereas I’ve only hated Dylan for about 50 years.

My useless 2 cents.

Boom Operator likes this.
  8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Does this mean she's a member on here? ;):D

zphage, The Ambassador, rod and 5 others like this.
  9. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Does any Dylan fan really “hate” Joan Baez? I honestly don’t think she is very good; too “trad” in her vocal style and choice of material, like the music revolution that she lived through completely passed her by. Is that sort of opinion what you mean by “hate”?

Boom Operator likes this.
  10. speedracer

Wow - Baez on "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," with Garcia and Weir in San Francisco - at the Warfield , December 1987 -
    damn I was living in SF then, missed this -

Cool hand luke and Lance LaSalle like this.
  11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Let's get one thing clear. Joan Baez is no Joni Mitchell. While she is a talented singer and (occasionally) songwriter, she was never an innovator like Joni. You pretty much know what you are going to get with a Joan Baez concert or album. That said, I think she does what she does very well, and for many of the fans that's enough. Anyone who goes to a Status Quo or an AC/DC concert knows fairly accurately what they are going to hear; they may not know which songs, but they know what those songs will sound like. I don't know see why that kind of "comfort zone" shouldn't apply to the folk idiom a well.

majorlance likes this.
  12. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

Who hates Joan? This seems like a straw man.

13. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Joan recorded this touching tribute to John Prine right before he died. She’s a-okay in my book.

14. Oscillation

So wait, you mean Joan Baez isn't Joni Mitchell? But they looks so much alike

15. CrawdaddySim1

Female artists must always be compared to other female artists, don’t you know that?

speedracer, majorlance and DTK like this.
  16. speedracer

Don't know and don't care. Folks who like to slag off on Joan Baez are usually pretty grumpy in general about a lot of stuff.
    I would never have learned about Dylan as a kid if it weren't for parents' Joan Baez records. She got me started playing guitar.

Love her "Lily Of The West" !

NeonMadman, zphage, scousette and 2 others like this.
  17. CrawdaddySim1

Bob was never much of a duet singer, period. Emmylou probably followed him best... but even she admitted that it was a challenge.

Cool hand luke, DTK and speedracer like this.
  18. Oscillation

Same here, re. parents. Well you can just listen to what Bob says

19. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I didn't like her back in 1970 when the Woodstock movie and album came out. Then after seeing her sing with Dylan in both the Hard Rain tv performances, I started liking her. Dylan definitely tried messing her up most times they sang together - doing songs they had not rehearsed and changing songs around in the middle. She handled it like a pro.

majorlance likes this.
  20. speedracer

Great clip - thanks. This baby has been officially put to bed by Bob Dylan himself.

CrawdaddySim1 likes this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Vibrato is a funny thing. For some reason, maybe due to the style of song, I can listen to Joan sing and hear it as one of the most beautiful soprano voices ever. On the other hand I cannot stand Sarah Vaughans vibrato and find her singing for the most part intolerable. Of course Sarah had a larger range, so when she sang some songs in which she used a certain part of her middle range, its heaven.

22. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Again, a thread that posits a rumor or anecdotal observation as an accepted fact.

23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The OP simply said they had noted (i.e. their own observation) that many Dylan fans dislike Joni, and wanted to discuss it. What's wrong with that?

speedracer likes this.
  24. speedracer

Nothing wrong with that at all, but we are discussing Joan Baez, not Joni. Also the OP went a bit further than observing "dislike," in Dylan fans, see thread title.

While there are a fair share of comments expressing a reasonable distaste for vibrato, 1960s protest music, and displaced aggression against things that have nothing to do with her music, I have not seen more than very few posts that would answer the OP question in the affirmative.

Cool hand luke and Oscillation like this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Maybe because she has little tolerance for Bob's b.s. and pointless idiosyncrasies that bob-heads feel threatened. She knew bob as well as anyone, is and was suitably awed by his talent but is too pragmatic to let that get in the way also dismissing his nonsense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.