Joan Baez: Hated by Dylan fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

It's a billion dollar industry, check the tabloids.

Carl Swanson likes this.
  2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I'm sure he is only acquainted with a very meager few of the tens of millions of global Dylan fans. That makes his observation "anecdotal" by definition, and does not justify "Joan Baez hated by Dylan fans" to any appreciable degree.

speedracer and jamesmaya like this.
  3. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

How many of those tens of millions of Dylan fans are you acquainted with?

Never mind, perhaps I should let the OP defend himself. I probably should have done that in the first place, but I just don't like seeing people picked on.

4. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I have one MFSL CD and a few M- LPs of hers. Never listen to it but just keep it for the collection.

Should sell the MFSL CD, it sells for some good bucks.

She was hot in the early scene.

5. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with rejecting the premise. I made the same mistake as the OP a while back when positing that Steely Dan has few female fans. Of course, I was met with a flood of responses to the contrary, including posters who identify as women. What else did I expect? Such are the pitfalls of making a hasty generalization based on anecdotal evidence.

Or maybe the OP was fishing for compliments on Joan’s behalf, who knows?

6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Yeah, it is a funny thing. I'm much more on the Sarah side of things - it seems like she had the technique to control her vibrato. I'm not sure Joan ever mastered it, though her voice really gets to me at times.

Anyway, I have lots of respect for Joan. Like Dylan says, she's a great folk stylist on guitar. I could just listen to her play.

I have no idea why any Dylan fan would actually hate her, but whatever.

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The documentary How Sweet The Sound showed her to me as much more of an active hero back in the day than Bob ever was.

zphage and David Stilesson like this.
  8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

They are very different. And similar. Personality wise Dylan is an observer, Joan an activist. Guitar wise they both have their own unique styles informed by a similar era and similar artists. Joan is a hell ofa finger picker Dylan has a unique cool strumming style. Both have cool voices that are singular. Dylan’s songwriting is unparalleled. Dylan is a road dog, will die onstage like David Olney. Dylan sees the world in an gray color Joan more black and white. Both have different personalities but have similarities that draw them together. Dylan, Springsteen and others benefit from the Jan wiener propaganda machine that when they pass gas every few years the made a masterpiece. Joan is not as prolific but her last record is awesome, blows everything Dylan and Bruce did for years out o the water.

The interesting thing in this forum is their fans dislike each other and see things in a you are wrong eye, just like our national discourse. They dated and have history but do not see things in this good vs evil way. But their fans do. The USA has a horrible discourse going this symbolizes our talk radio cable tv you are evil thing

zphage and keyse1 like this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I love both of them.

10. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Do they? I never understood that sort of mentality. I was never the biggest fan of her singing style (much had been made of the disdain for her vibrato, and I was in that camp for a long time, but it’s less so, now), but that had nothing to do with her relationship with Dylan. In fact, I think she’s one of the best interviews in No Direction Home. I really gained more respect for her after that.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  11. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

I recall Dylan’s description of Joan and her first album in Chronicles, (which I need to reread.) He described that record within the context of its times very well. As dated as her singing style and presentation might sound now, it absolutely knocked the folk world for a loop in 1960. A young, beautiful woman playing stellar guitar and singing mountain tunes like “Silver Dagger”—I bought the CD after reading Bob’s book and understood immediately. That album is serious as a heart attack and cuts right to the bone...to a casual pop music listener of the Eisenhower era, it must have seemed like something from another planet.

12. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

I am a big believer in track record. Joan's been in the business for 60 years so that's good enough for me. Respect.

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Well, we’re 260+ posts in and not one Dylan fan has gone on record as “hating” Joan Baez. As well as it should be. She’s a national treasure.

14. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

I personally love Joan's work. I enjoy her vibrato and guitar playing immensely. Many vocalists who have a strong vibrato are not some people's cup of tea, and that is ok. She has made her views on politics and the world well known, but if I disliked every artist who sees things differently from me I would not have much of a record collection. Though I am sure there are Dylan fans who don't like her based on whatever personal relationship they once had, I'd like to think they are in the minority.

speedracer and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never connected the two in my like for both...to me they could have been worlds apart and it would not have mattered...

16. Michael

I agree...no reason.

17. Michael

that is the best version ever! no other touches it even the original of which I do like.

speedracer and Fox67 like this.
  18. Carl Swanson

Probably as many as the OP; none of them hate Joan Baez as far as I know, so I guess my anecdotal observation cancels his out

:rolleyes:

19. Carl Swanson

Pardon me, my stop's coming up . . .

20. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Agree

Michael likes this.
  21. David Stilesson

David Stilesson Forum Resident

This conclusion can't be rationally disputed by even the most myopic Dylan fan from the standpoint of a boots-on-the-ground, blood, sweat, and tears personal investment in the civil and labour rights' movements.

22. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

I'm a Dylan fan, and I appreciate Joan Baez.

23. Michael

just listen to it yesterday...

24. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Ok, so now we have Bob Dylan fans and Joan Baez fans dislike each other, as well as the OP statement that Bob Dylan fans hate Joan Baez.

You can't make this stuff up! Oh, wait, yes you can!

If that is the case I must dislike myself, because I like them both!

Read the thread, lots of love for Joan Baez from Dylan fans - I am sure nearly every person applauding her at those Joan and Dead shows is a Dylan fan, as are Garcia and Weir.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Cool hand luke and Carl Swanson like this.
  25. Yeah, I find her and Buffy St Marie borderline unlistenable. That trilling vibrato is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.