Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Mar 13, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Back in the eighties Joe Jackson was something a little different. He toyed with various styles of music and recording techniques. He recorded some really high quality albums and some very popular singles.
    I want to cover this period, because
    a) it is what I have in my collection
    b) it is a great introduction to an artist that seems a little overlooked in recent times ....
    Having said that though, it appears his brand new album The Fool may be doing some good business.
    So who is Joe Jackson

David Ian "Joe" Jackson (born 11 August 1954) is an English musician and singer-songwriter.[2] After years of studying music and playing clubs, Jackson's first release, "Is She Really Going Out with Him?" became a hit in 1979. This was followed by a number of new wave singles before he moved to more jazz-inflected pop music and had a Top 10 hit in 1982 with "Steppin' Out". He has also composed classical music. He has recorded 19 studio albums and received 5 Grammy Award nominations.[3]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Born in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, David Jackson spent his first year in nearby Swadlincote, Derbyshire. He grew up in the Paulsgrove area of Portsmouth, where he attended the Portsmouth Technical High School. Jackson's parents moved to nearby Gosport when he was a teenager. Jackson learned to play the violin but soon switched to piano and prevailed on his father to install one in the hall of their Paulsgrove council house. Jackson began playing piano in bars at the age of 16, and he also won a scholarship to study musical composition at London's Royal Academy of Music.

Jackson's first band, formed in Gosport, was called Edward Bear,[note 1] later renamed Edwin Bear, and then Arms and Legs. The band broke up in 1976 after two unsuccessful singles. He was still known as David Jackson when he joined Arms and Legs, but around this time he picked up the nickname "Joe," based on his perceived resemblance to the puppet character Joe Piano, who was Snoopy in Joe Cool guise playing piano.[4] Jackson then spent some time performing on the cabaret circuit to make money to record a demo.

In 1978, a record producer heard Jackson's demo tape and signed him to A&M Records. The next year the newly formed Joe Jackson Band released their debut album Look Sharp! A mix of rock, melodic jazz, and new wave, it mined a vein similar to that of contemporaries Elvis Costello and Graham Parker. The album enjoyed wide critical success: in 2013 Rolling Stone magazine named Look Sharp! number 98 in a list of the 100 best debut albums of all time. Some commercial success also followed, as the debut single "Is She Really Going Out with Him?" reached the top 40 in 5 countries, and no. 9 in Canada.

-----------------------------------------

Over the coming weeks we will look at this multi-instrumentalists albums and songs and hopefully some folks can revisit a great artist and perhaps some folks will discover an artist they may have overlooked..... or in fact some of the younger folk may look back to see what this guy was doing.

Anyhow, I hope some folks will join us in this discussion and look back through this very impressive catalog.

Cheers
    Mark

2. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Yeah, so your thread title freaked me out for a second.

Kristofa and mark winstanley like this.
  3. mark winstanley

apologies ... it seemed the logical thing, but I can see where you're coming from

There we go, probably a little better

4. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

So bad you're missing out on everything post-1989. Some of his best music comes from that period too.
    (ie the Heaven & hell album and also the previous one Fast forward, which is as good as the new one Fool.

But good luck to your topic anyway ! ;)

Koz3e, velopix, izgoblin and 2 others like this.
  5. mark winstanley

I'll get there.... I only have so much time and money and a wide love of music

Edit - you never know, if my finances improve over the course of this thread I may get the others anyhow.
    If there is interest, I also may go on a road of discovery of what came after anyhow.
    But for now these are the albums I'm familiar with, so that's where I'm going to start

DavidD, Chazeus, garrincha and 2 others like this.
  6. zither

zither Forum Resident

He's The Man! I love the Night & Day album so much. Stepping Out has to be one of the best singles of 1982. Whenever I'm in London around the Chinatown vicinity I immediately think of his song, despite the fact it's about NYC. Great picture inside the gatefold sleeve too.

[​IMG]

7. mark winstanley

I love Night And Day.
    One of the things I appreciate about the section of his catalog that I am very familiar with is the variety.
    For me
    Look Sharp
    Jumpin' Jive
    Night And Day
    Body And Soul
    Big World
    are all classic albums and all so very different from each other.
    And yes I always loved that picture. It portrays a relaxed feel about the players, but the instruments spread all over the place kind of gives it a bit of a mayhem factor too.

8. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I have that as a 30x30 picture framed on the wall in my music room. Bought a beat up second hand copy for that gatefold only. Yes, it's a great pic - it oozes love for music.

Love me some Joe Jackson. His early records mean a lot to me, because I used to listen to those many times during my formative years. I know several of these word for word and note by note.

Admittedly, his musical career has some dips in quality, but overall I think he's a great and very talented musician who shines in a wide variety of musical styles. I think his Heaven and hell album is terrific, though I can see why some people don't like it all that much.

And hey, I must consider his Jumping jive album my very first jazz album. That wasn't a bad start, was it? :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  9. zither

zither Forum Resident

Couldn't resist posting these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mark winstanley

You didn't need to delete that comment. This isn't a militant regime, and I have no problem with folks mentioning things about other albums ... as I say, if there is interest, I may well step into the unknown territory, but this is somewhere to start.

11. zither

zither Forum Resident

I mentioned the musical relationship with Rickie Lee partly because I am a huge fan of her. She is one of the greatest singers/writers/performers in my humble opinion. But hey, this thread is about Joe!

12. mark winstanley

That's cool, we're just settling in here.
    Rickie Lee is great I am a big fan of the debut through to Magazine. Unfortunately I have heard little of her work since. So much music out there.....
    My listening is at least a hundred albums behind on what I have on the shelf, never mind what I don't have lol

zither likes this.
  13. zither

zither Forum Resident

Check out her covers album 'It's Like This'. Joe is singing on two tracks: Show Biz Kids and One Hand, One Heart.

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Ok , I have played this album countless times and have only just noticed the Marvin Gaye Super Hits record in the picture . :sigh:
    Also when it comes to playing Joe Jackson , I always play 'Look Sharp' and 'I'm the Man' as a back to back 2fer. Would've
    been a great double album .

15. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Never knew this—thanks!

zither and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

17. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Never bothered with him until two weeks ago. Got an excellent copy of the debut LP for €5. Love it... will investigate further as I come across LPs in the used shops I frequent. Body & Soul next on the list because there's a cheap copy for sale locally.

18. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Random contribution: “Body & Soul” is my favorite Joe Jackson album. And I suspect I’m in the minority. But check out “Not Here, Not Now”—a very emotional experience every time I play it.

19. mark winstanley

I love it. The first time I saw him in concert was the Body and Soul tour. Great stuff.
    But we will get to all the songs in good time :)

jpmosu likes this.
  20. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

RudolphS, Tristero and LivingForever like this.
  21. mark winstanley

lol ... I need to keep my mind active, or it goes on its own journey lol

MTCIII65 likes this.
  22. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Look Sharp is one of the greatest debut albums of all time

23. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

He has a page on our indie site.

I really love his song The Verdict.

24. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

Mark - you would probably have gotten to this later, but I wanted to highlight this terrific 1980 Beat Crazy outtake that was originally only released as the "B" side to the Mad At You single in the U.K. This should have been an "A" side on its own and should have been released in the States at the time. Starts off with a great chord progression and sustains lots of energy 'till the end.

25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Almost identical to Throw It Away

mark winstanley likes this.