Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Obviously my attention span leaves something to be

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Round Midnight
    While we have finished Big World I think we need to revisit 1984 for this version on Round Midnight from the Thelonius Monk tribute album. Thanks for the heads up @Dillydipper, I did not know about this and there is no reference to it in Joe's listings/
    The track starts with a somewhat ambient swirl, and then we have Joe I presume on the piano. This is one of my favourite melodies, and I used to play this on guitar, for fun, and also for some practice, to change my notes choices and fingering habits. The first versions I heard of this were the Miles Davis and Wes Montgomery versions,
    This is a nice arrangement.
    Joe Jackson - Round Midnight

pablo fanques, NorthNY Mark and Geee! like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

:laugh:

Max Florian and mark winstanley like this.
  4. knotley

knotley Senior Member

I have this on vinyl only because it was in the Joe Jackson section of Sam the Record Man on Yonge. Otherwise I would never have known about it back in the 80s. Sam had employees who knew their music. I will play it tonight.

5. Nice catch, @Dillydipper on this track.

For those who are curious, Hal Willner's compilations from the mid-late 80s are worth seeking out; Lost in the Stars is a tribute to Kurt Weill & Stay Awake is Disney music. The Thelonius Monk record, That's The Way I Feel Now is the first. Lost in the Stars is a tad dated, and Stay Awake is my favorite.
    (I think those are the only ones, but being wrong would make me happy.)

knotley and mark winstanley like this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Youuuurrrre welllcommmme-!

Wiki Wizzleteats counts 11:
    Hal Willner - Wikipedia

Geee! and mark winstanley like this.
  7. Lol! I was more than a little off!!!

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

Left Of Center - Suzanne Vega with Joe Jackson
    Well here is a sideline I wasn't expecting. Apparently this is Joe with Suzanne Vega from the Pretty In Pink soundtrack. I assume Joe is playing the piano. I always thought this was a pretty cool song.

9. mark winstanley

Will Power
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Joe Jackson
    Released
    April 1987[1]
    Recorded 1987
    Genre Classical, rock
    Length 42:06
    Label A&M
    Producer Joe Jackson

Will Power is the eighth album by Joe Jackson.[1] Released in 1987, it is his first experiment with classical music, continued in later albums including Night Music, Heaven and Hell, and Symphony No. 1.

Musicians
    Production
    1. "No Pasaran" 6:07
    2. "Solitude" 9:37
    3. "Will Power" 5:52
    4. "Nocturne" 4:25
    5. "Symphony in One Movement" 16:14
    ----------------------------------------------------
    This album certainly isn't bad, but I think it is his least successful outing in this field, from my limited listens thus far.
    There are definitely some really good sections, but as a whole album, it doesn't quite grab me, as the other classical style albums do.
    In some ways this album was also a momentum breaker for Joe. Although Big World didn't do half as well as it should have, it still had some exposure. In Australia is got a lot of play, and I gather some of it got a little exposure overseas, but of course this album was virtually ignored the world over, to the best of my knowledge.
    Kudos to Joe for again following his muse though, and I am sure whatever the minor downfalls of this album, it would almost certainly have helped Joe in many ways with future projects particularly the two classically based albums coming up later.

I must admit to only having listened to this two or three times, so please step in and set me straight if I am missing something that clicks later on.

Please let us know what you guys think of this album, anything that crosses your mind, and we'll hit the first track tomorrow.

Cheers
    Mark

10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I don't know this album at all I think, though I saw it in stores plenty of times, never tempted. Curious as to what others think of it.

11. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I remember having little interest in an all-instrumental album at the time of its release. I think I finally picked it up in the late '90s, after listening to "Loisaida" and thinking "Wouldn't it be great to hear a whole album like this?" But Will Power was certainly not that! It isn't bad by any stretch, and the opening track is pretty interesting and stylistically unique to Joe, but I don't recall the different styles of music hanging together all that well as an album; moreover, none of the tracks felt particularly urgent (in the sense of needing to have been written), seeming instead more like bits and pieces he may have had hanging around in various stages of development and decided to finally get them finished and released. I get the impression that he was pretty proud of it, though.

team2, Geee! and mark winstanley like this.
  12. Fastnbulbous

It is a pretty cool song. Unfortunately Suzanne doesn't have the pipes and the production is straight outta the 80s. Exactly the sound Big World was pushing against.

13. mark winstanley

Yea, I tend to think of it more of an instrumental, than classical or semi-classical. Although there are recurring themes, they aren't structured in a way that I am used to hearing classical music structured.
    My initial impressions were somewhat more of a soundtrack feel. With the tracks coming across more as incidental music than constructed classical pieces.
    I don't dislike it, but I feel his later efforts were much more successful.
    I do like the Not Here Not Now references, I think they work well.

team2, Geee! and NorthNY Mark like this.
  14. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

By the way, I neglected to post on the cover of "Round Midnight" yesterday, but I loved it! Mark W's description pretty much matches my own response.

15. Fastnbulbous

I've only heard bits and pieces of Will Power so will reserve comment, other than to say I have heard Symphony No. 1 which isn't nearly as pretentious and self-indulgent as I expected.

"Round Midnight" has been done so many times by so many jazz greats, I credit Joe for having the balls to even go there.

16. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

From the inner sleeve: "Symphony In One Movement" is a rewritten version of the orchestral score commissioned by The Daei Corporation for the film "Shijin No Ie" ("House Of The Poet"), which was shown at the Expo '85 Science Exposition in Tsukuba, Japan.

17. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Nice catch, Mark. I was getting ready to mention this in case you skipped it. I just got to know this one myself, recently. Very good!

18. mark winstanley

I like several things she did, I just never realised that Joe was involved with this one.

ytserush and team2 like this.
  19. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

20. mark winstanley

You guys are bringing it today, I had no idea about the Japanese connection.

Good work!

ytserush and Max Florian like this.
  21. Will Power was an album I just sorta lapped up because, for me circa 1987, Joe could do no wrong. I was really getting into classical music at the time in university because of a friend in music department. So, my ears were getting into a lot different classical sounds.

I really do like it. Night Music is my favorite of that ilk, but I'd put Will Power not too too far behind it. "No Pasaran" & "Nocturne" are wonderful.

22. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Okay...

My Joe journey went like this: knew some singles from the radio and liked them. Got the "Live 1980/86" compilation when I was maybe... I dunno, 8? From the back cover, it looked like the best way to get all of the songs I liked in one place.

Pretty obviously, it blew me away. On some days, it's second only to Live At Leeds as my favorite live album of all time.

But I didn't know what to get next.

...you can probably guess that Will Power ended up in my hands. I just picked at random from the shelf, plus it was the cheapest one on the rack. I figured it was a good move since it didn't share any songs with the live album, right?

It didn't do it for me, but more like... it didn't do it for an eight-year-old who thought the wrong tape was in the right shell. Took it back, the store assured me that I was, in fact, listening to Joe Jackson. They let me swap it for something else, though (I don't recall what I got instead, but I'm guessing it was either Big World or Beat Crazy).

Now with older and wiser ears, this is the ONE Joe album I didn't go back to (no reason, just worked out that way). I think I'd appreciate it now, or at least be less caught off-guard. I'mma make it a point to find a cheap wax copy soon and give WP another spin. I bet it'd be right up my alley now.

23. tenor1

tenor1 Forum Resident

When Will Power came out I thought "An all-instrumental album? Hey, it they're as good as Acropolis Now that he just played on the Big World tour, that sounds great!" In other words, I was hoping for something more like a Dixie Dregs album. But of course there is no Acropolis Now or more rock-oriented instrumentals here.

I've always liked the opener No Pasaran (aside from the first time I heard it where it startled me out of my skin) but have not been a fan of the rest of the album. I re-listened to it a few weeks ago in preparation for this discussion and liked it more than I remembered. I think it works better if you listen to it more like a New Age album than a classical album. Still, I think this one is for completists only.

24. mark winstanley

No Pasaran
    This is an atmospheric piece. We have very small pieces spread wide to fill in the gaps gently. This ends up obviously being a builder, and we feel the piece slowly grow in intensity, and then there is the orchestra hit that shows up intermittently, and if you have turned the volume up for more detail it is probably going to make you jump.
    This is a real tension builder, and it does work very well, but the tension building opening probably goes on slightly too long for me. I understand what he is trying to do, but I think that the change needed to come a little earlier, even if when that change comes it is a wonderful release point.
    The orchestra hit sound is a little, just a little annoying to me also .... When the tension finally breaks, we have a wonderful piece of orchestral drama, that really does work in an excellent manor. We then move into a short reprise of the opening bass line.
    A good track, but for me, the tension building section just goes on a little too long. I would have liked it to end a little earlier and explore that orchestral arrangement a little more thoroughly.

pablo fanques and NorthNY Mark like this.
  25. Fastnbulbous

More than a just a little.