Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Mar 13, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Glamour And Pain
    I think this is a very good song, and as mentioned previously Alison Cornell does an excellent job of the song.

2. mark winstanley

Target
    We get a Night And Day classic, and it is again excellent. I know from seeing him live twice that Joe, and the bands he has, are justseemingly always going to put on a great show in terms of musical sound and performance. It's really nice to hear this track get a live resurrection nearly twenty years later.

3. mark winstanley

Just Because
    It is really nice hearing these tracks live. I think the Night and Day II album is great, and I am not sure how successful it was at the counter, or the websales, but I like that a good number of these tracks got played live.
    This track live has a real edge, and that works in its favour in light of the type of song it is.

4. tenor1

tenor1 Forum Resident

I got to see a show on this tour - probably pretty close to the shows recorded for this album. Glamour and Pain was a highlight there, just as it is on the recording. I'm another huge fan of Allison Cornell's performance on this tour and album.

5. "Glamour and Pain" loses just a pinch from the vocal switch although Allison Cornell does a really good job. I like the character as transgender. I think it adds to narrative. That being said, I'm glad JJ arranged it this way.

"Target" is my other favorite from Night & Day. This is a good version with a mad tempo, great percussion from Sue :love: (and Catherine Bent adds too) & keys from JJ & Allison. Lyrically, it fits the angst & anxiety of N&DII. This and "Just Because" are my two highlights of the CD for me.

"Just Because" is a favorite from N&DII, This version certainly has an edge. Nice work from Catherine Bent, cello & Allison Cornell's violin to add undercurrent of violence reaching a boiling point.

6. mark winstanley

Got The Time
    I'm sure this is on youtube somewhere, but five searches failed to bring it up. Anyhow.
    This is a classic Joe song, and one of his best rockers. It goes without saying that it is good.
    If someone happens to find it, please do post it, or you can refer to the concert posted earlier.

7. mark winstanley

A Slow Song
    This will probably always be one of my favourite Joe tracks.

8. I did find this 2001 video though. Very good:

9. "Got The Time" has a a swift tempo and lots of percussion & bass. What's not to like about that? Close to "Target" & "Just Because" as my favorites here.

"A Slow Song" is a classic closer and a favorite song of mine, too, but this version offers little which hasn't already been heard. Well other than the cello & violin which are nice and could be a bigger focus.

The German concert I posted has great versions of "Chinatown" & "Blaze of Glory" which could easily have substituted for this or one of the mid CD solo piano songs. Or this version of "Stay->Steppin' Out->Stay"

10. mark winstanley

Volume 4
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Joe Jackson Band
    Released
    11 March 2003
    Genre Rock, pop
    Length 44:06
    Label Rykodisk
    Producer Joe Jackson

Volume 4 was an album released in 2003 by British musician Joe Jackson. It was the first album to feature the Joe Jackson Band since the 1980 release, Beat Crazy, and it was Jackson's first rock 'n' roll album since Laughter and Lust,which was released in 1991.[3][4] As before, the Joe Jackson Band consisted of Jackson, Graham Maby, David Houghton and Gary Sanford.[5] It was released to moderately positive reviews. Rolling Stone rated it 3/5, stating that it was less visceral than his early-1980s music, but that "when it comes to edgy, sensitive-guy rock, he proves on Volume 4 that he still is the man."[2] AllMusic rated it 3.5/5, stating that "Volume 4 isn't as lively or vital as his first five albums, but it's also more satisfying as a pop record than anything he's done since Body & Soul, which is more than enough to make it a worthy comeback."[1] The album was followed by a lengthy tour.[5]

Musicians
    Production
    1. "Take It Like a Man" 3:24
    2. "Still Alive" 3:42
    3. "Awkward Age" 3:20
    4. "Chrome" 4:20
    5. "Love at First Light" 4:08
    6. "Fairy Dust" 3:47
    7. "Little Bit Stupid" 3:26
    8. "Blue Flame" 5:23
    9. "Dirty Martini" 4:51
    10. "Thugz 'R' Us" 3:23
    11. "Bright Grey" 4:17
    A limited edition version of Volume 4 included a bonus CD of live material from the 2002 UK tour.
    No.
    Title Length
    12. "One More Time" (live) 3:15
    13. "Is She Really Going Out with Him?" (live) 4:12
    14. "On Your Radio" (live) 5:15
    15. "Got the Time" (live) 3:47
    16. "It's Different for Girls" (live) 4:15
    17. "I'm the Man" (live) 4:21
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    For me this ends up being an interesting album. I like it, I think it is a good set of songs, written, arranged and played well. I am not sure if the idea was to capture that early sound on a twenty something anniversary or not ... and although I don't think it quite does that, I think it is a pretty satisfactory return to the stripped back band.
    I don't think this ends up being one of Joe's best albums or anything, but I do think it is a good album, that works as a slight break in proceedings after some more lushly orchestrated and arranged albums.

What do you guys reckon of this one? Give us your heads and hearts on this one and we'll hit the first track tomorrow.

Cheers
    Mark

pablo fanques, knotley, team2 and 2 others like this.
  11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

The real deal. The original lineup has always had the edge for me, with all four doing what they do best and really have a chemistry going on as a band.

It was a pleasant surprise on Rykodisc and the bonus live disc is simply brilliant. Volume 4 could very well have followed Beat Crazy. This was the only tour I saw them live, after missing the original touring years. I look forward to playing this album again.

johnny q, team2, Geee! and 2 others like this.
  12. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

When I first heard this was coming out, I was concerned Joe was Running out if ideas. Here he’s doing a second album in a row that has a basis in the (distant) past. Uh oh.

Boy, was I wrong, and pleasantly so.

Agree completely with @footprintsinthesand this could have followed Beat Crazy – and it would have been considered a “return to form.” I would describe the bonus disc as “essential,” it’s that good. Lots of great stuff on Volume 4 … one of my favorite JJ albums of all time.

pablo fanques, team2, Geee! and 2 others like this.
  13. Paul King

Paul King Spy In The Wires

Revisited this album after hearing songs off of the live album, Afterlife. The song: "Awkward Age" is more Laughter & Lust than Beat Crazy, which is why I like it. There always seems to be one clunker per album but still glad I got it.

14. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Just some quick thoughts on Volume 4, as I may not have much time for track-by-track comments this coming weekend. Like Mark W., I think it's pretty good, but not especially outstanding. Not being much a fan of his pre-Night & Day period, I was expecting the worst when it was released, but was pleasantly surprised at the result, as at its best, he combines the more visceral ambience of the first albums with the more sophisticated songwriting of the later ones. I think about half the album (basically, the first half, plus "Blue Flame" and "Bright Grey") is really strong, and more enjoyable to me than those original JJ Band albums. But the rest of the second half (from "Fairy Dust" onward, aside from the two tracks I singled out) is pretty dire, IMHO, which keeps the album from the classic status I think it had the potential to reach.

"Take It Like a Man" is a particularly bracing and musically satisfying opener, with some memorably clever lines. A more recent live album made me appreciate "Still Alive" more than I had at the time. The ballads are a little better than usual. Finally, the album ends with a real corker: Joe is normally at his best with closing tracks, and this album is no exception, with "Bright Grey" giving us a real "Wow!" moment that was sorely needed after the near-novelty-song pastiches of tracks like "Thugz R Us."

team2, Geee! and mark winstanley like this.
  15. I look forward to listening to this album again, it's been several years. I sort of recall the titles mentioned but can't quite place them. I do remember liking it, but I also recall that the SQ absolutely sucks.

16. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Joe's best album since Big World, IMO. After "Man In The Street" faded out in 1986, if Joe had retired and not made another album until 2003, I wouldn't have missed much. (I feel the same way about Rush if they had split up in 1987 after Hold Your Fire, only to reunite in 2012 for Clockwork Angels.)

Since listening to virtually all of his recorded output during this past year, I've had no problem liking Joe's albums from 1979 to '87 and from 2003 to '19, but everything from 1989 to 2000 has not sat well with me. It might be the period production or the themes/subject matter of the lyrics, but from Blaze of Glory to Night & Day II everything seems "off." With Volume 4, however, things snap back into focus. This is Joe doing what he does best -- performing upbeat pop/rock songs with an acerbic edge and ironic humor. Plus, the fact that the original Joe Jackson Band is backing him up makes it that much sweeter.

I remember hearing about this album when it came out and meant to sample it several times to see if it was as good as the reviews said. Alas, it fell off my radar and I forgot about it until finally hearing it this past winter. I regret now not picking it up 16 years ago. Granted, it's not perfect -- it has some clunkers that I'm sure we'll get to in the individual song discussions, but overall, it's great. It's the first time in a long time Joe sounds like himself again, while also marking the beginning of a great run of "late period" albums continuing through today...

pablo fanques, knotley, Geee! and 4 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

Take It Like A Man
    This starts off like a really good rock song. The intro has a nice organic feel about it, and we get a nice reintroduction to all the guys. A bit of a pulse of rhythm, the drums kick in, Maby gives us his typically prominent and great sounding bass, and them we get some nice guitar. Then Joe slides in with a really nice little piano riff.
    In some regards the piano is almost a new element in this version of the band, as Joe seemed to play the keys quite sparingly on their early stuff.
    All in all this is an excellent start to the album, and upon hearing this first track the hopes are high that this is going to be something very special.

18. footprintsinthesand

Take It Like a Man
    An upbeat song about a guy who just lost his touch and the upper hand ?
    Great album opener with Dave and Graham setting a fast beat and bass drive, Gary can take it easy. Joe's by now typical keyboard notes supply tiny signature breaks from the urgent beat.

pablo fanques, Geee!, team2 and 2 others like this.
  19. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Probably my favorite post-1986 song of Joe's. Perfect in every way. Upbeat, melodic, catchy and with great lyrics. Guys, you eventually get to that point when you realize that woman is over you and nothing's gonna change that. I've come to think of this song as Joe taking on the same scenario as The Doobie Brothers' "What A Fool Believes," where the protagonist is pining for a woman from his past that he never quite got over. But instead of the syrupy, sweet yearning of Michael McDonald and Kenny Loggins ("She musters a smile for his nostalgic tale"), we get the unflinching, acerbic punch of J.J. ("Fingers like icicles, she needs you so much, like fish need bicycles"). Even the song's respective arrangements are at odds, with the Doobie's late-70s Adult Contemporary warmth contrasting with Joe's biting turn-of-the millennium New Wave throwback/update.

A perfect way to kick off this album...

20. mark winstanley

Still Alive
    This starts off sounding almost like a sixties Hollies song, and I like the way the song unfolds. The melodic theme has the vocals following the chord changes in the change, and here it works well, I also think it is a really cool progression and melodic theme.
    I like the lyrical theme also, it kind of pokes its tongue out at our whole mindset to the love and falling out of it theme. I doubt there are many of us that haven't told someone somewhere, or have been told ourselves "I can't live without you" or something along those lines.... I've been on both uncomfortable sides of that.
    Anyway, this song keeps the very good song momentum up, and I really enjoy this album at this stage as a great return to the Joe Jackson Band roots.

21. footprintsinthesand

Still Alive
    Strong early sixties sounding guitar and drums (great sequence) start this breakup survivor song and keep going.

Then the bridge starts with this line:
    In the beginning we were there till the end of time ...
    and my brainplayer - as intended - immediately merges that with favourite Steely Dan lyrics * :
    ... Barrytown people got to be from another world :agree:

*:

So another great track and album critics have their fingers crossed, but that's alright.

Geee!, team2 and mark winstanley like this.
  22. mark winstanley

Easy Reference Guide

Joe Jackson talks about his music 1989
    - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Arms and Legs - She'll Surprise You Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Is She Really Going Out With Him/You Got The Fever 1978- Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Look Sharp 1979 - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 One More Time Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Sunday Papers Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Is She Really Going Out With Him Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Happy Loving Couples Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Throw It Away Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Baby Stick Around Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Look Sharp Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Fools In Love Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 Do The Instant Mash Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 Pretty Girls Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 11 Got The Time Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

b-side Don't Ask Me Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

I'm The Man Oct 1979 - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 On Your Radio Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Geraldine And John Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Kinda Cute Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 It's Different For Girls Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 I'm The Man Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 The Band Blue Shirts Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Don't Wanna Be Like That Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Amateur Hour Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 Get That Girl Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 Friday Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

b-side Come On Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

The Harder They Come EP 1980 - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 The Harder They Come Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Out Of Style Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Tilt Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Beat Crazy 1980 - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Beat Crazy Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 One To One Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 In Every Dream Home ... Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Evil Eye Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Mad At you Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Crime Don't Pay Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Someone up there Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Battleground Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 Biology Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 Pretty Boys Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 11 Fit Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

b-side Enough Is Not Enough Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Jumpin' Jive 1981 - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Jumpin' With Symphony Sid Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Jack You're Dead Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 We The Cats (shall hep ya) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 San Francisco Fan Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Five Guys Named Moe Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Jumpin' Jive Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 You Run your Mouth Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 What's The Use Of Getting Sober Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 You're My Meat Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 11 Tuxedo Junction Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 12 How Long Must I Wait for You Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Night And Day 1982 - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Another World Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Chinatown Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 TV Age Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Target Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Steppin' Out Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Breaking Us In Two Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Cancer Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Real Men Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 Slow Song Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Mikes Murder (Soundtrack) 1983 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Cosmopolitan Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 1-2-3 Go Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Laundromat Monday Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Memphis Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Moonlight Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Zemio Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Breakdown Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Moonlight Theme Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Body And Soul 1984 - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 The Verdict Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Cha Cha Loco Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Not Here Not Now Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 You Can't Get What You Want Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Go For It Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Loisaida Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Happy Ending Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Be My Number Two Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 Heart Of Ice Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Round Midnight 1984 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Big World 1986 - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Wild West Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Right And Wrong Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 (it's a) Big World Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Precious Time Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Tonight And Forever Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Shanghai Sky Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Fifty dollar Love Affair Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 We Can't Live together Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 Forty years Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 Survival Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 11 Soul Kiss Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 12 Jet Set Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 13 Tango Atlantico Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 14 Hometown Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 15 Man In The Street Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Left Of Centre (Suzanne Vega) 1986 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Will Power 1987 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 No Parasan Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Solitude Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Will Power Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Nocturne Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Symphony in one Movement Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Tucker (soundtrack) 1988 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    Dilly's summary's Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Captain Of Industry Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Car Of Tomorrow - Today Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 No Chance Blues Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Shape In A Drape Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Factory Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Vera Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 It Pays To Advertise Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Tiger Rag Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 Showtime In Chicago Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 Lone Bank, Lone Blues Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 11 Speedway Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 12 Marilee Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 13 Hangin' In Howard Hughes Hanger Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 14 Toast Of The Town Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 15 Abe's Blues Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 16 The Trial Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 17 Freedom Swing Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 18 Rhythm Delivery Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Live 1980-1986 (April 1988) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 One To One Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 I'm The Man Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Beat Crazy Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Is She Really Going Out With Him Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Don't Wanna Be Like That Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Got The Time Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 On Your Radio Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Fools In Love Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 Cancer Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 Is She Really going Out With Him (acapella) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 11 Look Sharp Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 12 Sunday Papers Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 13 Real Men Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 14 Is She Really Going Out With Him (acoustic) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 15 Memphis Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 16 A Slow Song Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 17 Be My Number Two Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 18 Breaking Us In Two Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 19 It's Different For Girls Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 20 You Can't Get What You Want Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 21 Jumpin' Jive Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 22 Steppin' Out Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Live In Tokyo (dvd) 1988 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Blaze Of Glory (April 1989) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Tomorrow's World Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Me And You (Against The World) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Down to London Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Sentimental Thing Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Acropolis Now Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Blaze Of Glory Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Rant And Rave Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Nineteen Forever Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 The Best I Can Do Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 Evil Empire Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 11 Discipline Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 12 Human Touch Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Stepping Out (best of) 1990 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Laughter And Lust 1991 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Obvious Song Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Going Downtown Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Stranger Than Fiction Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Oh Well Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Jamie G Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Hit Single Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 It's All Too Much Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 When You're Not Around Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 The Other Me Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 Trying To Cry Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 11 My house Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 12 The Old Songs Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 13 Drowning Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Laughter And Lust Live (VHS) 1991 - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    part 1 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    part 2 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    part 3 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    part 4 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Night Music 1994 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Nocturne 1 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Flying Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Ever After Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Nocturne 2 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 The Man Who Wrote Danny boy Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Nocturne 3 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Lullaby Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Only The Future Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 Nocturne 4 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 Sea Of Secrets Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Heaven And Hell 1997 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Prelude
    track 2 Fugue 1 - More is More (Gluttony) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Angel (Lust) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Tuzla (Avarice) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Passacaglia - A Bud And A Slice (Sloth) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 Right (Anger) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 The Bridge (Envy) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Fugue 2 - Song Of Daedalus (Pride) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Symphony no.1 1999 - Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    1st Movement Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    Fast Movement Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    Slow Movement Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    Last Movement Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Nocturne (live) Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Summer In The City:Live In New York 2000 Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 1 Summer In The City Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 2 Obvious Song Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 3 Another World Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 4 Fools In Love/ For Your Love Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 5 Mood Indigo Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 6 In With The In Crowd/ Down To London Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 7 Eleanor Rigby Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 8 Be My Number Two Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 9 Hometown Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 10 It's Different For Girls Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 11 King Of The World Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 12 You Can't Get What You Want Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *
    track 13 One More Time Joe Jackson - Album by Album thread *

Night And Day 2 2000
    1 Prelude
    2 Hell Of A Town
    3 Stranger Than You
    4 Why
    5 Glamour And Pain
    6 Dear Mom
    7 Love Got Lost
    8 Just Because
    9 Happyland
    10 Stay

Two Rainy Nights (live) 2000
    1 Prelude/Hell Of A Town
    2 You Can't Get What You Want
    3 Happyland
    4 Stranger Than You
    5 Another World
    6 Is She Really Going Out With Him
    7 Hometown
    8 Real Men
    9 Stranger Than Fiction
    10 Glamour And Pain
    11 Target
    12 Just Because
    13 Got The Time
    14 Slow Song

Volume 4 2003
    Take It Like A Man
    2 Still Alive

23. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Since we're up to Volume 4, I thought I'd post the following from Joe on his official site when there was talk in early-2016 of a "complete" Joe Jackson Band box set (I like how he had to helpfully remind Universal that there was more to the JJB than just the first three albums -- namely Volume 4 and Afterlife!).

THE JOE JACKSON BAND: Various live recordings and out-takes

Why am I listening to this? I never listen to my own music ... so yes, there's a reason, which is that Universal Music, who own the copyrights to my old A&M stuff, are thinking of releasing a boxed set of the complete recordings of my 'original' (i.e. first-recorded) band. I immediately pointed out that this band reformed in 2003 and made a new album of original songs and then a valedictory live album. Those masters are owned by a different company, but apparently that obstacle can be cleared, in which case a set including the two Ryko albums can happen.

Let me back up a bit here. The Joe Jackson Band released two albums in 1979, Look Sharp and I'm The Man; and a third album, Beat Crazy, and a 3-track EP, The Harder They Come, in 1980. And that was that, apart from a couple of B-sides (songs we didn't feel were quite good enough to go on the albums) and some live recordings of varying quality ... so we took some time (more than twenty years) off, and came back with a killer fourth album, Volume 4. We did record a cover of Todd Rundgren's "Couldn't I Just Tell You" (which was tacked on to the album in Japan) but we didn't record, or plan to record, anything else before we hit the road for about eight months. But then there was this: Afterlife. This album was taken from four shows near the end of that tour, and as far as I'm concerned, it represents this band at its peak. In other words, it's really the only JJB Live album you need.

So, back to 'my' boxed set (which may or may not happen): I've agreed to include a couple of lame B-sides, the Rundgren cover, and some so-so live recordings. These really are the last dregs, but it's still not enough, which is why I'm sitting here ploughing miserably through things like: (a) four takes of 'One More Time' which, even to my ears, sound exactly the same; (b) three takes of 'Is She Really Going Out With Him' marked 'Not Bad', 'Good', and 'Brilliant' (the last having been used on the album); (c) one and a half minutes of Graham Maby, Dave Houghton and yours truly jamming aimlessly between takes; (d) 'Beat Crazy – Instrumental' (no, not a different arrangement or anything, just the track without the vocals); (e) a mix of 'On Your Radio' identical to the album version except for a very slightly different echo effect on the vocal; etc, etc, etc. This is not even scraping the bottom of the barrel. The bottom fell out years ago...

pablo fanques, mjb, Paul R and 3 others like this.
  24. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Another great song, indeed. Two tracks in and they're on a roll.

25. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Nice coincidence you mentioned this one. I recently got the Citizen Steely Dan box set and have been listening to all of their 1972-80 output over the last month. Such great stuff, and "Barrytown" is one of my new favorites. I can also hear how much of an influence they were on Joe!