Joe Jackson - "Body and Soul" CD/SACD (June 2020) Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by futureinreverse, Apr 22, 2020.

1. futureinreverse

futureinreverse Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Whoa! This is a must have!!

@IR Shane is a vinyl pressing still in the works??

marc with a c likes this.
  3. I did a week ago.

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

It's a digital recording from 1984, isn't it? Basically the SACD, however well mastered (no doubts it will be superbly mastered) will be created upsampling a recording of lower resolution....
    Am I wrong?

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

It has already been pre-ordered for the Bennett Family.

IR Shane likes this.
  6. Yes. It is digital recording/mixing

rednedtugent likes this.
  7. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

Never gets mentioned with records like Brothers In Arms, but one of the best sounding recordings of the 80's. A real sleeper.

ultron9, Grant, Sordel and 17 others like this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You are correct. But mastering is about 80-90% of the equation...

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Kevin Grey mastered it...it will be reference quality regardless of it being a digital recording.

ultron9, kiddo4, McLover and 4 others like this.
  10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I've also already ordered this new SACD. I have to be honest and say that while I've always liked this album and the sound, which was already pretty spectacular to be honest, but this, the follow-up to the ULTRA GREAT, in my opinion, "Night & Day", just never had anywhere near as strong of songs. Everything about this album, except the great classic jazz looking cover, always seemed second rate to me, as compared to "Night & Day". Of course, I should be honest and admit that "Night & Day" just hit all the right sweet spots for me, as an album and one that still remains in my TOP TEN albums of all-time! All the same, I still hope that all Joe Jackson fans will buy and support this new SACD, as I'm pretty sure that it will easily end up the best "sounding" version of the album.

11. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

Most people I know prefer Night and Day. I like Body and Soul because I feel like he was a better musician and artist by then for having made Night and Day. One of the things I admired about Joe was that he would throw his cap over the wall and make the record he wanted, and challenge himself to get better musically while doing it. I feel like he was often a more accomplished musician on the next album than he was on the previous one. Body and Soul being a case in point. But I love them both, just for different reasons.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So does Kevin run through analog stage for EQ when it comes from a digital source?

13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Man, I hope Shane puts this out on LP. The originals sound really good, but if the other JJ releases have taught me anything it's that this one really deserves the Intervention Treatment.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Maybe @IR Shane knows.

15. I’ll order when the Amazon link is live. And while I appreciate Shane’s effort, where is I’m The Man, Look Sharp, Night & Day? Just can’t get too excited about this album. It’s the weakest of the four.

16. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

They've done all of those already, I believe.

Juggsnelson and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  17. No, they haven’t. Not on SACD anyway.

George P likes this.
  18. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

Yeah not on SACD. I was about to edit my post.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Absolutely no doubt that "Night & Day" made Joe and his already great band, even tighter. And you are so right about Joe and his always trying to keep things fresh, which has been quite the roller coaster to try and keep up with. His album from a few releases back "The Duke", kind of reminds me of "Body & Soul". I enjoy when Joe tackles the world of jazz, as he always does it pretty honest, but I personally like it more when he finds that fine line of when "melodic commercial Joe" meets ..., everyday unique Joe (re: his albums "Blaze Of Glory", "Laughter & Lust", "Rain", "Fast Forward", "Fool" and of course, "Night & Day". Another favorite album of mine, is "Night Music". Just something truly fresh for me about that particular album and that is the one album that I have always felt was Joe's "sleeper" album, as there is almost something for everyones tastes, but I'm pretty sure that most Joe fans have probably never heard it.

And talk about an "audiophile worthy album" and one that TRULY deserves an LP pressing of ...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    NorthNY Mark, BradB, Drew769 and 6 others like this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Body and Soul is a marvelous album... 5.1 would be nice, otherwise I am happy with what I have.

21. I agree. I already have the original US A&M CD, the horrible 1997 CD and a Dutch LP, but I'm very sure this one will beat all of them. Digital or not, this is one of the finest recordings of the 80s. In my top 5 with Brothers In Arms, Avalon, Famous Blue Raincoat and Gaucho.

ultron9, Trenwell and mark winstanley like this.
  22. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

What was the charge for shipping?

23. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

I'll slip Big World into that list too. I love that period of Joe, but realize it's not everyone's cup of tea. His live shows were very strong from that period as well. Especially his Laughter and Lust "pre" tour in 1990, where he played with a stripped down unit (with lots of percussion) in small clubs to work out the material for that album before his bigger "proper" tour.

24. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Reconsider Mark! Like you, I am a huge fan of 5.1 but these IR 2 channel releases are SUPERB! No doubt that this will be THE version to own.

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

I'll be buying this SACD, not because I am unhappy with my Japan for USA CD, but because I want to support the label, in the hopes that there will be more SACDs to come from them.