Joe Jackson - "Body and Soul" CD/SACD (June 2020) Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by futureinreverse, Apr 22, 2020.

1. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

$3.33 and rock-solid, nobody-does-it-better packaging.

Yovra and Scottb like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This fine recording, folks, was recorded on 4 track 3M Digital. At the Masonic Hall in New York City, which Vanguard Records recorded in.

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The Shipping Charge is reasonable. Order directly from IR, as it helps Shane. If people want to buy from Amazon, Acoustics Sounds or other places to save a few dollars to get Free Shipping, then if Shane is not able to keep IR in Business like AF went OOB, then I would not want to think that I might have hurt his chances to successfully keep IR in Business because I bought his Products from Amazon(or elsewhere).

I did not realize this factor, when I originally bought 'Night and Day', but after reading some of the replies the past year by Shane on how ordering from him directly is more helpful, then I knew when 'Body and Soul' SACD was going to be released, that I would(and did) directly order my Copy from IR.

Now of course for Out of Print IR Titles, if you can only buy them elsewhere to get a copy, then that is understandable, which is what I had to do with 'Look Sharp', as copies were hard to find(think Shane had come up with some extra copies a little later, but I already had secured a copy by that time) when I realized I had slept on it, but I also am trying to limit my Vinyl Collection.

If Shane is able for IR to obtain the rights to do 'Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space'(with KG doing the Remastering), then for me, it will be an Automatic Buy directly from IR, and if made on both Formats, I will buy the SACD and Vinyl versions.

Money is tight to do PreOrders(especially this year where I lost the chance to do my own Business-Sports Video with Covid-19 wiping out the Spring Soccer Youth Club Cup Season among other Youth Sports), when it requires payment a few months ahead of time, but I did do the PreOrder for 'Body and Soul', and if it helps guarantee an IR Release, I will do the same for LAGWAFIS.

Geee!, Dennis Metz, IR Shane and 2 others like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Ironic thing. I just scored a Still Sealed A&M original of "Body & Soul" today. $.25 brand new. Original shrink, has the hype sticker.

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm getting anxious for Body And Soul to ship. Shouldn't be too much longer I hope.

IR Shane likes this.
  6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Like Brothers In Arms and The Nightfly, it was digitized to be optimum for red book CD. So upscaling to SACD won't improve it of itself.
    It's the audio equivalent of putting a giant magnifying glass in front of a tiny portable tv to get a bigger picture.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  7. No, it was secretly remastered at least once. I have a Japan for US CD that's not the same mastering as a disc from the AM+ series pressed in France, probably somewhere in the 90s. The older CD sounds better to my ears.

Yost likes this.
  8. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Disagree. All of these 16/50KHz or 16/50,4Khz recordings from the first half of the 80’s has «greatly» improved when transferred to DSD; more body and weight, and more natural high frequency sounding.

For me, it’s the DSD/SACD versions of these recordings that really has been an ear opening to understand how good these recordings are, when it comes to sonics. The class A electronics that was part of these early digital recording equipment was truly state-of-the-art, midrange has a very clean and clear sound quality.

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

But it is not a simple matter of taking one audio codec and converting it to another. Mastering, mastering regardless of the original source can lead to improvements from subtle to dramatic. If they were flat transfers without any remastering then I might agree but with expert mastering on had then there will be differences and this changes will be up to the individual to listen and decide as to whether they like them or not. As for me I remain excited for this release.

IR Shane likes this.
  10. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

I listened to this last night for the first time in a long while after seeing this thread. Really is a fantastic album. Among other things the poignancy (is that the right adjective?) of Loisada stood out, beautiful song. Heart of Ice gets kinda jam bandy. The only time I saw JJ was on this tour, was great.

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Enjoy - that one is on my short list of "demo discs":righton:

Geee!, NorthNY Mark and McLover like this.
  12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The bits are just not there to fill out the extra real estate of an SACD.
    All a mastering engineer can do is tweak the levels a little bit.

13. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Where did you get it? That's practically free.

McLover, audiomixer and George P like this.
  14. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes I agree with you 100%. I had no idea they released other Joe Jackson titles. What have they released and how do they sound?

Thanks

Scott

TheSeldomSeenKid and IR Shane like this.
  15. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It was remastered in the UK in 1997. However it sounds terrible as there are all kinds of pops and clicks.

16. Yes, that's a 3rd mastering and it's terrible indeed. Why is it still in print 23 years later? It should have been corrected long ago.

anduandi, audiomixer and Scottb like this.
  17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

They must have used a terrible source still I don't see why they didn't look for a better source.

audiomixer likes this.
  18. It always sounded to me like manufracturing errors. It would be very weird that a mastering engineer would agree to master from a source that is so full of clicks and digital skips. Probably more a case of nobody checking the final product and since the album's not a big seller the label probably didn't bother to re-do it properly.

NorthNY Mark and Scottb like this.
  19. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Any day.

mwheelerk and NorthNY Mark like this.
  20. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Thank you!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  21. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

This I believe is a common misconception with mastering engineers. They have expenses and billable hours to wring out of every day like the rest of us. They work with what they're given as sources. If they decide to only work from analog tapes or this source or that source they'd be out of business. I don't see it making sense for them to turn down work and one shouldn't expect that.

This is a perfect example of why what I call transparent sourcing is important. I've always provided all the information I'd ideally like to know before making a purchase myself: what source was used, who is the mastering engineer, where was it pressed, who did the jackets and artwork.

This point about releases illustrates that every bit of this is important not just one or two factors.

22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not sure how this got to be about Asia? Nevertheless, the mastering couldn't have done much with those titles, except maybe sound a little better. They were recorded treble-ly. That came from the original production.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Edward McKay's Used Books, Chattanooga, TN.

sbsugar and Scottb like this.
  24. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

It shouldn't have appeared at all....
    I wonder when the SACD will be released in Germany and what I will have to pay for it....:rolleyes:

25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

All Audio Fidelity reissues licensed from Universal Music were mastered by Kevin Gray. Do you see the point?