Joe Rogan (and his podcast) is moving to Texas

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Jul 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Meh, I'm not sure I feel about this. I like the guy okay and, politically, he's more in line with my thinking, but I still was kind of put off by the news. Apparently, like many other people, he feels he can have more 'freedom' here in this state and, like many, save a ton in terms of income tax (Texas doesn't have it, you see). So he joins Tom Araya and Ted Nugent and other popular media/artists choosing to pick up and move to the great ol' state of Texas. Tesla is coming here, too (Austin is the rumored site for the company as it is for Rogan).

Not wanting to talk politics (AT ALL), but just wondering how it will affect his podcast, his ability to get guests, and whatever else. I'd hope it would help him get some better quality people. Some are great, but for the most popular podcast in the world (or the US at least), he gets a lot of spares (UFC guys, bad comedians, etc). We'll see how it goes moving forward. YEE HAW!

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Closer to his ol' buddy Alex Jones!:unhunh:

kanakaris likes this.
  3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I don't blame him. if I lived there I 'd leave too.

4. GodShifter

He’s friends with him? Seriously?

5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

He’s been talking about it for a while it seems. The COVID craziness has just escalated his decision I would imagine.

I rarely miss a podcast. It’s prime evidence that people have an attention span beyond the 30 minute sitcom.

He’s good at hosting too. He asks thought provoking questions and presses his guests on their positions and opinions.

6. GodShifter

I’ll check out the ones that are interesting. I enjoyed the one with Joe De Sena and especially the one with Bret Weinstein, but some of his guests are just flat boring. Also, I like Rogan, but intellectually he’s a bit lacking. He’s not dumb, but he should be more well versed on things other than a rear naked choke hold. YMMV.

mooseman and Juan Matus like this.
  7. glide

glide Forum Resident

Save tons of money. Live in a place that doesn’t take 3 hours to drive across town.

Why wouldn’t he move?

rebellovw likes this.
  8. GodShifter

I’d guess, the lack of having guests right on hand. But, he’s said he can fly anyone in (which I’m sure he can). Podcasts can also be done via Zoom or whatever.

As I said, he can move wherever he wants. I’m just wondering how it will affect the podcast. I guess in the COVID era, it doesn’t make a damn where he’s based. Probably not post COVID either.

9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

People don't usually "fly in" just to do an interview with someone. They schedule the interview around their itinerary, which usually involves Los Angeles or New York. There's a reason why most of the major talk shows are centered around those locations.

Granted, COVID makes that irrelevant for the time being, so Rogan isn't really losing anything by doing a Zoom interview from Texas during the pandemic. But once the pandemic subsides, Rogan will find that A) it will be tougher to book live guests, and B) his listeners won't be as interested in seeing him interview people via Zoom.

Zoom fatigue is real.

10. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Valid points by Swandown, but I’d be surprised if he wasn’t still able to book top notch guests. Being in LA when others just happen to be stopping through I’m sure has accounted for a good amount of great guests, but at this point he’s clearly #1, and if they really wanted to be on the show they would eventually make time.

I’m happy for him and I hope it works out well. Despite what I’ve said I’m still curious to see how this pans out.

11. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

With remote interviews he could have guests go to a studio that's linked via professional video and recording with monitors so they can hear and see each other. This should be very easy to manage.

SandAndGlass and MonkeyLizard like this.
  12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I think there are many interesting potential guests in Texas. Could mean some people that have never been on the show, and that could be good.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. swandown

That works well for radio interviews, but I don't think it would work as well for Rogan's show. Part of his appeal -- at least from my perspective -- is watching the one-on-one interaction with the guests. When you take that away, you lose a bit of the magic, IMO.

goodiesguy, daglesj and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

His show also moves to Spotify in about a month, for an alleged $100 million bucks. I believe both audio and video options.

15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

His podcast with Dr. Olsterholm back when Covid 19 just became a thing is probably the most informative media discussion on the subject, IMO.

Szeppelin75 and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Not a fan, and the reasons he is doing it make me dislike him even more.

Eleanora's Alchemy and intv7 like this.
  17. GodShifter

Reasons? For moving to Texas? For doing the podcast? What are you referring to?

I’m going to assume you mean the move. I’m kind of with you on that aspect.

18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I'm guessing he is referring to Joe having to pay less taxes on the 100 Million he's getting. Joe has been talking about moving from Cali for years so its not like a spur of the moment thing. Plus why should he stay when he really doesn't want to be there? Especially since he can save a whole lot of money by doing it. I'd do it too.

unclefred likes this.
  19. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Let's just say that his viewpoints on some things are pretty wacky IMO. But to elaborate would go into politics, so I will refrain.

And I would rather people work toward getting TX to have an income tax, so as to help with their lowest in the country health care rather than move there to avoid paying it somewhere else.

20. GodShifter

Right there with you in all aspects :thumbsup:

21. swandown

For the most part, Rogan does a pretty good job of preventing his show from becoming a soapbox for personal rants.

However, I do think that he has a tendency to give a wide berth to people with fringe agendas. He and his fans will tell you that there's nothing wrong with having an open mind, and that all he's doing is letting someone talk without being judgmental. And that's a fair point. But I'd be a bigger fan if he occasionally asked questions that deconstructed the flawed logic of some of his wackier guests.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Yes, too much fringe stuff, and his viewpoints just don't make any sense from a consistency standpoint, it's hard to draw a straight line between some of them without drawing some really strange conclusions. In other words, not my cup of tea.

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah its not like he's getting a whole lot of acting roles ;)

Still I love News Radio.

dlokazip and Denim Chicken like this.
  24. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Classic show.

dlokazip and rogertheshrubber like this.
  25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I would put the first 4 seasons of it up against the first 4 of Sunny for sure. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.