Joe Rogan (and his podcast) is moving to Texas

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Jul 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

[​IMG]

Fastnbulbous and Instant Dharma like this.
  2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ehhh maybe you're right.

3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

[​IMG]

4. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

GodShifter likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

NewsRadio was very good. Rogan was probably the weakest link in the show though. He’s just not a very good actor. I don’t care for his stand up, either.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It wouldn’t bother me at all if Rogan has remote guests since I only listen to podcasts and don’t watch them. I listen to Bill Simmons a lot whose probably the 2nd most famous sports podcast personality behind Rogan and Simmons frequently has remote guests.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked his other show, the one where you had to eat bugs in rotten meat for money. THAT was entertainment.

GodShifter and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Austin isn't the place to go if you're looking to avoid traffic.

GodShifter, MRamble and SMc like this.
  9. glide

glide Forum Resident

I’ve spent time in Austin and LA. Give me Austin traffic any day.

10. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

A friend of mine once described Rogan as a "woke bro for meat heads," and I haven't really heard anything that better sums up my response to him. Rogan certainly isn't dumb, but I also don't find him to have a discerning or probing intellect like, say, Dick Cavett did. I think he's just very good at getting out of his guest's way and creating what for a lot of people seems to be an entertaining show, like any talk show host should. The fringe stuff is definitely too much for me, but you know, it's ratings.

GodShifter and swandown like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Joe gets a wide variety of guests on his show. It's one of the few shows that actually allows guests to speak candidly from their own viewpoint, expertise and experience.

I think he might be better off location wise with Houston or Dallas due to their proximity to a major east/west connecting airport.

That way, it would be easier for guests that are flying coast to coast to stop off and do a podcast and then continue on their way.

Also, being in the area of an airport hub would mean more number of available flights. This would make it easier for guests.

12. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I like Joe Rogan, he certainly has a wider range of guests then Marc Maron.

13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Anyone who shirks their tax liabilities on fortunes, windfalls or high wages is of questionable character IMO. This however, makes no sense for Rogan.

That will become more critical as time goes on. He could find a lot of people refusing to go on his show going forward. Then it will just disintegrate into the Alex Jones show. Certain people with questionable views that the mainstream media refuses to entertain will always make time and effort to have free airtime to spew crap, no matter where it is.

If you have a formula that was worth someone investing $100 million...why mess with that?

The Pinhead, Solaris and GodShifter like this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Remote interviews work as a sometimes/band-aid solution, but as a primary way of conducting interviews the content suffers regarless of the technology involved. Some shows now feels too "orderly" and "stiff" because of it that better lends itself to suit/tie type guests rather thann Rogan more personal discussions.

While channel surfing in the morning I caught a bit of "The View" and the format with 6 living rooms on one screen was odd television. The women also looked to be going thru the motions compared to in studio clips I've seen in the past.

If you take issue with "Tax competitive" celebrities, there's a whole bunch of rock stars with albums you can chuck out right now. Do you boycott Amazon and other major companies that also dodge?

15. GodShifter

Both Dallas and Houston are in the mix in terms of where he might land.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. I don’t know how much “friendship” this really shows, seeing as Rogan gave Jones more than enough rope to hang himself. A boatload of unintentional comedy here!

goodiesguy, unclefred and vince like this.
  17. The guy from Newsradio?

18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I don't find Joe Rogan offensive per se, but his podcast is just spreading all sorts of pseudo-science throughtout those in his audience who are less-than-discerning. This article sums it up for me: How Joe Rogan’s Hugely Popular Podcast Became an Essential Platform for “Freethinkers” Who Hate the Left

BTW, the term freethinker has a long and venerated history, and was used to refer to the American writer and orator Robert G. Ingersoll: Robert G. Ingersoll - Wikipedia

Take "freethinkers" out of quotes and you get grifters, con artists, and snake oil salesmen.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    GodShifter and Solaris like this.
  19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Yes "freethinking" is not the same as "critical thinking," which is in short supply.

20. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I like his show overall, in that he has a huge variety of guests on. I view it as a much more diverse, long-form version of Fresh Air. I also think the free-form nature of the show gives you a much more rounded insight into his guests. You have Joey Diaz talking about growing up surrounded by gangsters in Bedford-Stuyvesant. Then Adam Curry talking about the crazy modern art museums in LA. Then a guy who lived by himself off-the-grid in Alaska for a year. Then a Nobel laureate physicist.

Yeah the fringe stuff is annoying sometimes, but I'm interested in hearing about these conspiracy theories to sharpen my own critical thinking. Also, many conspiracy theories are based on some sort of fact that might be more interesting than the conspiracy theory itself. My favorite example of this, not covered by a guest on Rogan's show as far as I know, is a conspiracy called The Octopus, which allegedly involves the assassination of Kennedy, the "October Surprise" and a bunch of other random events. The interesting part is it is based on the factual story of the "Inslaw Affair," an actual case where the FBI and DOJ tried to steal software from a small company. The investigation went on for decades, and implicated congressmen and various high-level DOJ staffers.

Inslaw - Wikipedia

goodiesguy, budwhite, asdf35 and 2 others like this.
  21. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

I mostly know Rogan from Fear Factor and News Radio.

22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Yes, but he was right for that role. He played his part.

They captured lightning in a bottle with that show. You couldn't assemble a cast like that now if you tried.

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Don't forget, commentator for all those UFC fighting 'thingys', too!

24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I can't imagine complaining that someone other than yourself would move to have a better tax advantage. People are fleeing NY and NJ in droves, as well as Cal. I suppose that next one would be indignant if someone moved to get better real estate costs.

SandAndGlass and MonkeyLizard like this.
  25. GodShifter

Which is what many, many people from California, New York, and Washington State do. They move to Texas because of the lack of a state income tax and housing is relatively affordable. However, like Seattle, when Californians fled to it for much the same reasons, you get a glut of people with money, the property values go up thus the property taxes and so on and so forth. I see it happen with friends of mine that are long time residents of Dallas. It's part of the territory. 315 people move into the DFW metroplex every single day of the year. Then we can count the number of births per day etc. The population here is at 7.5 million and counting. Austin is over a million and, frankly, doesn't have the infrastructure to handle the growth. San Antonio and Houston also continue to expand at alarming rates.

Look, I'm not saying people can't go where they want. If they have the money and job to do so, by all means. But, wherever a large amount of people decide to go, the taxes go up, the traffic gets worse, and other problems develop. That, however, was not what my reasoning for creating this thread. It was to examine how one of the most popular if not the most popular podcasts going would change with the move. That rest of the stuff is window dressing in terms of my original intent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.