Joe Walsh "Turn To Stone" - favorite version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been listening to Joe Walsh stuff this week, and wanted to see what most here considered their favorite version of his hit "Turn To Stone". I'm only referring to studio versions, not live renditions. If there are more than the three I have listed, please post about it. The three I'm aware of are:

1) The 1972 original version on "Barnstorm". Runs 5:16.

2) The 1974 re-recording on "So What". Runs 3:50.

3) The 1978 remix (of the 1974 version) that appears on "The Best Of Joe Walsh". Runs 3:59.

While I would normally gravitate towards the longest version, I actually prefer the 1974 take. The way Joe phrases the line "Turn To Stone" on the original always sounds awkward to me, but that may be just because I probably heard the 1974 version first. I think it was the more popular one and is what I remember from classic rock radio. I do like the slower build on the original, but still prefer the '74 version overall.

So what's your favorite and why?

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  2. agentalbert

Original 1972 version.

Nightfly68 and Fullbug like this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I always wondered why he kept redoing this song. I guess the version on So What is the one I thought was the best.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  4. agentalbert

The 1974 "So What" version.

Natvecal. likes this.
  5. agentalbert

And here's the 1978 remix (of the 1974 re-recording).

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I'm going with the 1974 version. I really liked the So What album and heard this version of Turn to Stone before hearing the original.

Even though the original is longer it sounds too slow to me.

sound chaser and jeffrey walsh like this.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Remix, for me. When they sing "Turn to Stone" the slight fade out sounds more haunting. The other ones don't sound right to me.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    DiabloG and Duke Fame like this.
  8. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Just for kicks, I thought I would like to mention the 8 minute version from his live LP, You can't argue with the Sick Mind, love Joe Vitale's flute solo on that one, a very underrated musician imo.

9. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

Long time fan of Joe Walsh and especially this song.
    However back in 78 I was introduced to a guitarist I had never heard of, Roy Buchanan. The album was You’re Not Alone. He does this song as well.
    If you have never heard of his version, you might want to give a listen.

unclefred, Mt.Elga and Randoms like this.
  10. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

This is a tough decision in some ways, and a very easy decision in other ways. The 1974 version is the clear loser for me. I really dislike the pumped up backing vocals in the 1974, and its overall "lighter" feel. I love the overall sound of the original Barnstorm version--the heavy distortion, the wide stereo, the actual guitar parts being played for accompaniment. I just wish they would have done a few more takes of it to get it played right together. The biggest problem with the original is it keeps sounding like it is going out of synch with itself, the different parts aren't playing in time with each other very well. It's almost like the band hasn't rehearsed it enough yet to really nail a cohesive performance. Even with those drawbacks, I'm still giving the original a substantial lead over the remix just on the sound and mood of it, which appeals to me much more than what Joe turned it into later.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I love this live version,I have to research more since it`s from youtube.(and other places)

12. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I think I'll go with the remix. And I agree the phrasing on the Barnstorm version sounds awkward.

13. I prefer the So What album version, probably since it's the most familiar to me. The remix sounds odd to me with the doubling on Joe's voice. Not digging that same effect on his outro solo either. The extended live version is fantastic, so I'm glad it got mentioned.

bono likes this.
  14. bono

bono Well-Known Member

I agree it's the So What album version but as Curious Breeze mentioned maybe because it's more familiar to me too.

15. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

I like the remix if for no other reason than the fade-in of the drums at the beginning.

GoodKitty likes this.
  16. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

The original by far! Crank up the MFSL CD a bit and the guitars and drums are just explosive. I love the raw sound of it. The others are too tame, IMO.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Perhaps too raw. Almost sounds unfinished or at least under-rehearsed as someone above mentioned. Maybe Joe thought so too, hence the re-recording. (I have long coveted that Mofi cd, but been hoping to find one in the wild for a reasonable price. Hasn’t happened yet :laugh: I think the original ABC lp sounds quite good if you can find one that plays quietly which can be a challenge.)

Natvecal., pinktree1 and nick99nack like this.
  18. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

I bought the original Barnstorm LP the day it came out (hoping desperately that Fox & Peters were on it) and then the flawless Mofi CD. The version of Turn to Stone on that album is perfect and flows with the rest of the album beautifully. The version on So What seems too short & pop to me.

19. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

I've always liked the live version from You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind. Not sure, but I think that may have come from the Don Kirchner's Rock Concert. The album came out around the same time. Really great laid back show.

Would love to see the James Gang reform and tour.

20. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I actually like the live version from "Sick Mind" best, but I'll go with the '74 re-recording from So What. Great song and definitely one of Joe's top 5, best ever songs written.

duggan likes this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Always like the extended version from "Barnstorm," but I tend to give the edge to the 1974 remake.

klockwerk likes this.
  22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

thinking about this one.......hard to say

23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'd first heard it on the Best of, so when I heard the 1972 version it never sounded right to me. Now that I've compared the remix to the the 1974 version, I much prefer the 1974 version over all of them. Don't like the vocal FX on the remix at all.

24. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The live version.

25. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I like the original the most because of its slightly raw immediate quality. Next I’d take So What, with the Greatist Hits version coming in 3rd. Great tune and all the versions are good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.