Joe Walsh - you can’t argue with a sick mind + solo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Nov 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident Thread Starter

Giving the live album ‘you can’t argue with a sick mind’ a play tonight.

Definitely an underrated gem in his catalog... and it’s surely worthy of a reissue/remaster, perhaps with an extended track list from other tracks off the tour?

And thinking of his solo output surely that is worthy of a re-appraisal with a remastering project as well?

2. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

Stunningly good album. I bought it on a whim 30+ years ago from a bargain bin and have loved it ever since. And the best thing is, the highlights are the deep cuts - Turn to Stone, Meadows and a great opener in Walk Away. I crave a deluxe version of this more than anything else in my collection. Also, a great sounding LP.

3. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

This was basically an audio of the show he did on the TV show Don Kirchner's Rock Concert. The video of this show is on YouTube. Really good stuff!

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

So based on this there is no additional material for an expanded version?

5. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

When I think of live songs that blow away the studio version, Time Out is one of the first that comes to mind. Great version on this record.

CybrKhatru and Elmer McMuffin like this.
  6. TGH7

TGH7 Forum Resident

Just ordered a copy after seeing this thread. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing him live a few times, so looking forward to hearing this.

CybrKhatru, Elmer McMuffin and hbsbla like this.
  7. Joe has said there is a career spanning box set on the way in 2021.

keef285, yesstiles, slipkid and 3 others like this.
  8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

More songs were played. No idea if the tapes still exist

9. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Very good live album. Look at the credits, a 'whos who' of 70s talent.
    I would immediately buy a deluxe set.

My fave Walsh solo is '...Smoker You Drink...'.

TGH7 likes this.
  10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Don Felder went toe-to-toe with Joe. The chemistry was established around this time.

11. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

One of my favorite live albums of all time. Would love for there to be a Deluxe version containing the whole show. Definite purchase for me also.

footlooseman, TGH7 and CybrKhatru like this.
  12. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I would buy an expanded version of this too!

Instant Karma likes this.
  13. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

Looking up this particular show (Don Kircher), it seems a deluxe version could add Mother Says, Gimme Some Loving and Get Back. All with that incredible band. So the material is there for an extended version.

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

One of my favorite live albums.

We have discussed it up here multiple times (as it deserves).

I've posted this link b4, bears repeating if you haven't read it, talks about that gig:
    Joe Walsh & Friends’ Magical 1975 Show

I have a great quality live DVD of the DKRC show that the album was taken from. Think I posted the full notes about that in another thread but can't find that post now so here is the info again. I am not the originator of the DVD, and major tip of the hat to the fan who shall remain a-non-a-mouse that did all the work on this and shared it freely with other fans like me.

Here are some of his notes on this:

Joe Walsh & Friends approx. 58 minutes
    also
    Jimmy Cliff approx. 15 minutes

"Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" (from pre-broadcast low gen. copy)
    Show #63 - November 26, 1975 (entire show)

"If I'm Not There Start Without Me"

Santa Monica Civic Auditorium
    Santa Monica, California, USA

DVD video - EX quality
    Extensive research did not uncover any released material from this show. 5 of the 9 Joe Walsh songs previously circulated but as lower quality, less complete and the wrong order.

Joe Walsh:
    00:00:00:00 chapter 1 show intro > Don Kirshner's intro to Joe Walsh
    00:01:16:02 chapter 2 Meadows
    00:08:29:03 chapter 3 Walk Away
    00:11:47:14 chapter 4 Mother Says
    00:16:44:19 chapter 5 Welcome To The Club
    00:21:17:08 chapter 6 Help Me Thru The Night [this song is acoustic Joe Walsh, Don Felder, Don Henley and Glen Frey]

Jimmy Cliff:
    00:25:14:09 chapter 7 Don Kirshner's intro to Jimmy Cliff
    00:25:51:26 chapter 8 Fundamental Reggay
    00:29:15:08 chapter 9 I'm Gonna Live I'm Gonna Love
    00:32:52:04 chapter 10 Remake The World
    00:36:19:21 chapter 11 The Harder They Come

Joe Walsh:
    00:40:30:29 chapter 12 Turn To Stone
    00:49:38:20 chapter 13 Rocky Mountain Way
    00:57:52:01 chapter 14 Get Back
    01:02:29:12 chapter 15 Gimme Some Lovin'
    01:06:21:10 chapter 16 final thanks and show outro
    01:08:43:26 end

Joe Walsh & Friends:
    Joe Walsh - electric guitar and vocals
    Joe Vitale and Andy Newmark - drums
    Willie Weeks - bass
    Rocky Dejon - percussion
    David Mason - organ
    Jay Ferguson - piano

Get Back has the above musicians plus Glen Frey - electric guitar

Help Me Thru The Night is:
    Joe Walsh, Don Felder, Don Henley and Glen Frey - acoustic guitars and vocals [without the other "friends"]

I can't recall various discussions in the past about this for sure as far as if there might be more material played like multiple takes of the same song(s) to use for the TV show, but of what was aired above there are only a few songs that did not make the album if I remember the album tracklist right:
    Mother Says
    Welcome to the Club
    Get Back (cover)
    Gimme Some Lovin' (cover)​

And as I believe someone said above I think it was a one-off with no other shows/no tour.

P.S. By strange coincidence I was just listening to a new live Nils Lofgren album that features drummer Andy Newmark on it (he also plays on the Joe DKRC show above, hence the coincidence). That guy is an AMAZING drummer and does not get enough recognition from the masses. To have him & Joe Vitale sharing the same stage thumping away must have been quite incredible to see.

15. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

Time Out is one of my favorite Walsh tunes. However It’s one of the few songs by him where I never felt he bested the studio version - and this show was no exception. To me it had something to do with those awesome background vocals and slide guitar on the studio version - which are just heavenly.

still a solid rendition on this live album

TGH7, Billy_Sunday and GoodKitty like this.
  16. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I bought this when it first came out, and later on got the CD, and I've never felt the need to get any other Joe Walsh.

17. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Love Joe Walsh YCAWASM!

18. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting and a fun read. I also agree with you regarding Andy Newmark being a fantastic drummer. If I'm not mistaken, he played on some of Bryan Ferry's solo albums. He also played on Avalon by Roxy Music. Not sure if he played on any other of their albums. Great, great drummer and often ignored when discussing top rock drummers.

slipkid likes this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, he's played with tons of bands (I'm not really sure how many, would have to look it up).

I heard a story about him from someone who was an engineer in a studio where he was the drummer on a Nils studio album that is pretty cool. Think it sums up the command of his craft. They noticed that there was something wrong with one of his drums, making an unintended extra type of noise. Something loose or broken, maybe an area on the head had a defect (I can't remember the exact story). Producer or someone said to stop until they can fix/replace it. But Andy said if I hit it exactly right here it doesn't make the noise. He finished the song/session hitting that drum in that exact spot that didn't have the defect!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.