Joe Weed 'Vultures' SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Jul 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Any opinions on this title?

2. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

It's a 24/96 mix so that might deter some SACD fans from the disc. But I like it, good performances and the sonics are very good. Recommended.

3. Khorn

Re: Re: Joe Weed 'Vultures' SACD

Listened to it yesterday and 24/96 or not this is some of the BEST sound I've heard yet. The "soundstage" was very realistic and the positioning of each instrument was pinpoint and "in it's own space" like at a live unamplified concert. But, he're is the "coupe d grace" so to speak.....the music! Hugely popular "surf" stuff done Bluegrass style. The musicians on this one are fantastic, a word than can best describe Norton Buffalo's harmonica playing.

Here's the cast:

Joe Weed: Guitars, Fiddles, Mandolin

Norton Buffalo Harmonica

David Grisman Mandolin

Rob Ickes Dobro

Todd Philips Bass

The disc starts of real good with 'Pipeline' a few cut later you're toe tapping away to 'Walk Don't Run' Then "all hell breaks loose with a superb rendition of 'Rebel Rouser'. There are 10 cuts in all including 'Green Onions' and 'Alley Cat'.

This is one of those rare discs that combine talent and material to the point where it will receive very regular play as well as a great "Hey, You Just Gotta Hear This" when you're friends come over.

Joe Weed: Vultures
    Highland Records
    Top Music International: www.topmusic.com
    SACD-1028
    Hybrid SACD/CD
    Gold(?) colored disc. Made in the EU

If anyone can get the chance, check this one out.

4. Khorn

Re: Re: Joe Weed 'Vultures' SACD

Brian, I don't quite understand the above. Most of the material that SACD fans listen to is re-mastered from older masters a lot of them 20-30 years old or more. Now some of that material was recorded very well but, when compared with SOTA recording and mastering techniques of the last few years, it's no contest. If SACD fans are willing and able to buy and listen to much older stuff and obviously are happy in most cases, how could they possibly be deterred by a recording like the 'Vultures' be it 24/96 or not?
    IMHO the sound on this one is about as good as you could hope for. There is excellent tonal clarity and superb definition. The "reach out and touch" instrumental positioning is like having the band sitting on a stage right in front of you in your room.

Maybe I'm missing something in what you are saying and if so, please elaborate. As far as anyone being "put off" because of the technology used in this case, I truly feel sorry for them as they are missing out on an audio and especially musical experience that they could enjoy over and over again well into the future.

5. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Joe Weed 'Vultures' SACD

Well, let me make it clear I'm not arguing with you on the sound of the Vultures SACD. It is very good and tops the other 'surf music' SACD I've heard (a re-recorded set of tunes by the Ventures on M&I Japan).

But there are some SACD fans who feel strongly about limiting their purchases to SACDs that are from analog masters and DSD masters.

I wanted to make sure these folks knew the Vultures SACD was a 24/96 remaster. Not a big deal to me (I focus on the sound - not the source), but it may be to others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.