Joey Kramer suing Aerosmith

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Is this?

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It appears that person lived in a strange world where Rush fans only liked Rush or something. :laugh:

3. Judge Judy

I'm a Rush fan and I have never known this to be the case. Rush fans like plenty of other music. Rush haters, on the other hand, go on and on about it like we're supposed to find it fascinating.

4. dkmonroe

I agree completely. I've never met someone who loved Rush but looked down on other bands for not being "technical" or whatever. People forget that especially in the 70's, Rush was the people's band, not some kind of elitist cult. Rush were very high-quality head music.

5. Judge Judy

They toured with all kinds of other hard rock bands too, like UFO, Ted Nugent, to name just a few, none of whom I would describe as fussy, super-technical music either.

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

No, Rush fans that I knew liked bands that were all about how good they played, with long solos(especially drums) and fantasy based lyrics. Great "chops". Very professional. Not down and dirty, strutting, sleazy r'n'r of the type that the Stones made popular. I'm sure that there were fans of both Rush and Aerosmith where I lived, but I never met them. Image was really important to the crowd I traveled with, and Rush and bands like them did not have the image that we liked, and Aerosmith did. If nothing else, it's pretty easy to see the differences there. Guns 'n' Roses and early Black Crowes are examples of a couple bands that used Aerosmith as a jumping off point, not Rush. I suppose it's possible, but I can't remember any of the guys in either band stating that they were influenced by Rush. But Aerosmith? Oh yeah.

Umbari and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Haven't cared one iota about Aerosmith since Draw the Line.

jtiner likes this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Exactly what Aerosmith was not.

And they might've toured with different bands, but that means nothing. The Ramones opened for Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult and Molly Hatchet. Hendrix opened for the Monkees. There were all kinds of weird billings in those days.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Believe it or not, that's pretty much it for me, too, although I did like Night In The Ruts, some.

Hard to believe given my participation in this thread, which I will now end.

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

People's band is a great way to put it.
    Yeah, we werent much for the mid 80s synth era, having moved on from the late 70s/early 80s, but still when those videos came on, nobody flipped the channel.

Before Permanent Waves, I can remember FM radio playing Working Man, Finding My Way, Fly By Night, 2112, Closer To The Heart, along with deeper cuts like Anthem and Bangkok, quite frequently.
    When Permanent Waves, then the mighty MP showed up, it basically made them superstars in our high school.
    With PW and MP, they passed Aerosmith, who were falling apart, running on fumes and starting to get less radio play.

I cant really remember anybody hating a particular band and their music back in those days.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

About 30 posts in about Rush, I have to ask: When did Joey Kramer play in Rush?

12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

And when is he gonna sue them?

M321115, UMO, Stormrider77 and 4 others like this.
  13. Judge Judy

The way is totally clear now for Joey Kramer to sue Rush.

14. dkmonroe

Well, like I keep tellin' ya, in my town we all knew that Rush and Aerosmith were different, but we appreciated them both for their differences. Sorry about the Rush clique in your town.

15. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

It's really outrageous because Joey (and Tom) stayed with Steven when Joe and then Brad left.

16. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Yes, Rush were perfectly normal American small town Big Rock rock band beloved by all sorts of normal people, not just nerds or geeks or would be Berklee attendees or whatever. (This from my junior high and high school years in Jacksonville Florida in early 80s.) However, in that era Aerosmith except for hearing Walk This Way and Dream On on the radio were not much discussed pre PERMANANT VACATION. But your basic "I love classic AOR rock n roll" fans would have had no issues admiring them both.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

:wtf:

18. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I did not watch the Grammys and have no plans on doing so (not even the video/s posted in this thread). But the commentary isn't surprising; I've long said that the two best musicians in the band are certainly and without question **not** Joe Perry or Steven Tyler.

Hep Alien and Doggiedogma like this.
  19. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I'm not certain about the RUSH bashing. I'm just saying a band like RUSH (or fill in Paul McCartney, Kansas even KISS) would tend to make sure their performance would be well played and not a laughing stock puppet show. Either Joey was super bad to be worse than this or Joey was a perfectionist trying to get his bandmates up to speed. Steven Tyler does not look like any force to be rekon with...Just the fact RUSH hung it up in 2015 says enough. Rush will not have any "Fat Elvis" footage and performances where their estate will be trying to cover up.

The Grammy performance was not "Fat Elvis" it was "Saaaad Elvis"

Doggiedogma likes this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I was referencing a discussion in a thread about Led Zeppelin live. I didn't want to bring the whole thing up again--folks have their opinions about it and aren't really willing to budge. I've been a professional musician, writer and arranger for more than 40 years, and I've worked with artists as successful as Aerosmith.

I've certainly played things I've not intended to play, too. But often enough things I played that I didn't intend to play others will think were perfect, and things I played and intended to play people will think were "sloppy" or a mistake. You can't tell, merely from what I'm playing, what I intended to do, or what my assessment of it is. That's the same for everyone.

21. Devin

Devin Time's Up

You forgot sarcastic.

uzn007 and Blastproof like this.
  22. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Joey Kramer is today's Tom Sawyer

uzn007, wavethatflag, ARK and 2 others like this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I admire and respect Rush but I watched some of their later performances after Neil's death and, to be truthful, it made me think that Geddy should have bowed out sooner. His voice was/is arguably in worse shape than Steven Tyler's.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

They are all getting there at some point. Retiring at the right time is the way to go but what else these guys can do unless they developed some other skills while rock’n’rolling?

For most parts, I am not following the bands that I used to follow in the ´70s and ‘80’s. Like many here, the Aerosmith bandwagon stops at Night in the Ruts. Rush stopped at Signals, Genesis at Wind in Wuthering and so on. I am still enjoying their albums as they are part of my DNA. I am, however still following King Crimson, VDG and Marillion as they are still up to pace as far as I am concerned. YMMV

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  25. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

In the case of the Grammys, I like all of the music, and it's barely an awards show now. 95% of it is a concert/variety show. It almost seems like they don't give any awards, as what you see of them on TV is so few and far between.

BluesOvertookMe and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.