Joey Molland 'Be True To Yourself' October 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDeanB, Aug 17, 2020.

1. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member Thread Starter

I didn't see a dedicated thread for Joey's upcoming album on Omnivore Records.
    [​IMG]

Joey Molland’s first album of new material in nearly 10 years.
    The story of Badfinger is arguably rock’s saddest and most tragic tale. But one thing is for certain, the group that practically invented “power pop” was abundantly filled with great talent. Three great songwriters in one band was reminiscent of the group’s original label founders, The Beatles. Perhaps the most unheralded of the three in Badfinger was Liverpudlian guitarist Joey Molland. His songwriting talent started to blossom with the group’s finest album, 1971’s Straight Up. Molland contributed five songs to the group’s fourth platter including “I’d Die Babe,” “Sweet Tuesday Morning,” and “Suitcase.” Joey continued to play and write as Badfinger motored through the ’70s recording and touring. Great albums like 1974’s Wish You Were Here were met with record company and personal mismanagement and in 1975, the group’s leader, Pete Ham, tragically passed away. Molland eventually left the group, returned, and left again to start his own solo career.

Joey has played in various groups and under the name “Joey Molland’s Badfinger” since 1983. He has made several solo albums to critical acclaim but nothing could have prepared us for his latest album. Omnivore Recordings is proud to announce the release of Be True To Yourself, a tour de force pop album by Joey Molland, co-written with producer Mark Hudson (producer of Losst And Found by Harry Nilsson, also available on Omnivore Recordings). The album is filled with delicious pop hooks and features musical contributions from Joey’s friends (Julian Lennon, Micky Dolenz, Jason Scheff and Steve Holley). The album is filled with delicious pop hooks and features musical contributions from Joey’s friends (Julian Lennon, Micky Dolenz, Jason Scheff and Steve Holley). With front and back cover photography by Julian Lennon, this album is a veritable feast for the eyes and ears! So, sit back and “take it all” in from one of the genre’s progenitors… Be True to Yourself by Joey Molland.

1. CD / DIGITAL TRACK LIST:
    1. THIS TIME
    2. BETTER TOMORROW
    3. RAINY DAY MAN
    4. HEAVEN
    5. ALL I WANT TO DO
    6. I DON’T WANNA BE DONE WITH YOU
    7. ALL I DO IS CRY
    8. LOVING YOU
    9. SHINE
    10. BE TRUE TO YOURSELF
    Cat: OV-402

Tags: Badfinger, Joey Molland

Mark Wilson, RickH, Troxad and 9 others like this.
  2. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

A trailer for the album:

3. JDeanB

Thanks for posting that! I like Joey's After the Pearl and This Way Up. Really enjoyed the clip

Hep Alien, longdist01 and Tord like this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

There was an old thread about the Kickstarter for the album, but it hardly got noticed:
    Joey Molland (Badfinger) Kickstarter 2019

I would’ve contributed - would’ve liked a signed copy! - but by the time I saw it here, it was already concluded.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. JDeanB

Same here. I tried to contribute, but it was too late. I did preorder from Omnivore.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. mrjinks

I’m hoping signed copies might be available closer to release date, so holding off on a preorder for now...

longdist01 likes this.
  7. mrjinks

Is there a consensus on his solo work? What’s considered his best/worst releases?

Aside from the Badfinger albums, I have The Pilgrim and This Way Up, but that’s it. Wondering about the others, but preferably only if people provide a critical assessment.

8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I've enjoyed all four below, the last album is very very different in style from his previous three solo albums. Plus there's also a collection of demos* which varies in overall sound quality of the demos era, still some great song ideas on that collection!

After The Pearl
    This Way Up
    The Pilgrim
    Return To Memphis
    *Demos Old And New

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and Maranatha5585 like this.
  9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Has it really been almost a decade since Return To Memphis or is that copy wrong?

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The last release before was "This Way Up" , that sounds about right.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Return to Memphis was a 2014 album of new material - so it is odd that this is touted as his first album of new material in nearly 10 years.
    6 is hardly "nearly 10"

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    longdist01 and Hep Alien like this.
  13. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

There is a new track on Spotify. It is really good. I have not been a fan of Joey's solo material, but loved his somngs with Badfinger.

longdist01 likes this.
  14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Return To Memphis was first released in 2013 catalog # is HST165CD.

In 2014 Gonzo multimedia licensed all of Joey's back catalog including finally CD release of "After The Pearl".

Not sure why the PR states a decade gap between releases?

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

16. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

I must admit that Joey's presence in the early going of Badfinger irritated me. Perhaps it's the fact EVERY video of them lipsynching or playing live has him mugging for the camera. I never enjoyed Suitcase and anything from the earlier albums of his. BUT, I did see a change in his writing and music making as the group went into the studio and made Wish You Were Here. Gotta Get Out Of Here, Some Other Time, and Should I Smoke are just about the best I could have imagined. This is where I felt Joey's contributions came to equal Pete's on the album. Ass was just too much Joey and it was as if Pete had taken Joey's abuse to heart and wanted to let it be a Joey album. Maybe that's why it's the weakest of all their albums whereas WYWH is perhaps their best album ever.

Is he a better writer after all these years? Perhaps, his voice still irritates me at times.

savemenow, Pennywise and Hep Alien like this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

18. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I guess it's good this is a positive review, but it sure is generic. I can't imagine it took more than two minutes to write. Nothing about what the best songs are or why, which wouldn't have taken that much effort. Just a press release cut and paste with the usual Paul McCartney, Beatles, Apple references and Mark Hudson and Julian Lennon mentions. Lazy writing.

Kent Gray and longdist01 like this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I was able to hear the full album earlier this week and it's a great listen! The songs are strong and will be on repeat listening!

Thank you Joey, Mark, Mario McNulty and full cast of players on the album including all those who contributed through Kickstarter funding effort and all who sang on many of backing vocals. Beautiful work everyone!!

:edthumbs:

20. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Same here, but glad to have preordered the Omnivore release. Hard to believe I missed the news.

mrjinks, longdist01 and JDeanB like this.
  21. JDeanB

Glad to hear that!! Thanks for posting. I missed Joey's last one, but am looking forward to Be True To Yourself. I met Joey after a "Joey Molland's Badfinger" show several years ago (great show) and then spent some time with he (and Kathie) at a few Fab Four Fests when they were being held in Nashville. He is a warm and open gentleman who had nothing but kind things to say about his former bandmates. He certainly credits them during shows.

Mark Hudson was also at the Fab Four Fest along with Lawrence and Hope Juber, Marshall Crenshaw, May Pang, Nancy Andrews, Louise Harrison and a number of people in the Beatles orbit over the years. Also, of course, many Nashville musicians, who would perform a different Beatles album each year.

Hep Alien, longdist01 and mrjinks like this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The album is terrific!

23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Because,..um,..er..ah..because things are moving at such a fast pace these days, that six years ago seems like ten years ago.
    Yeah, that's it! :D :p

longdist01 and Rfreeman like this.
  24. mrjinks

It just seems that way to a youngster like yourself, Glenn.
    :)

:wave:

longdist01 and Glenn Christense like this.
  25. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Just pre-ordered. My first blind purchase for a long long time.

JDeanB, longdist01 and mrjinks like this.