John and Yoko go on tour in 1981. What's their setlist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cyril sneer, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Had he lived, Double Fantasy would have been moderately successful but Geffen Records may have found that disappointing for an act that big and demanded a "hit" on Milk and Honey.

To bring this back to live music - The Stones were a touring machine, Lennon did a few gigs here and there but never tour, he had no interest in it. He'd need to do what McCartney did in the late 80's and go all out on a world tour to match The Stones live reputation. And none of us see that happening in 1981.

2. Yes the Stones were a huge touring act at the time making sonewhat bad studio albums.

3. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Double Fantasy had already started dropping on the charts before Lennon's death. It debuted at #27, rose to #14 then dropped to #25 and then #46. I think history has shown there were no enduring smash hits, but rather some solid album tracks by Lennon. It's quite clear that the death of Lennon propelled the album back up the charts and created demand for the singles. JLSO was released before Lennon's death and didn't hit #1 until over a month after it was released and that was after Lennon's death. The rest of the singles were not released until after Lennon's death.

blutiga likes this.
  4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes I know all that. I was following things at the time. The album was not at #46 when he died. Where do you get that information?
    How well was Double Fantasy/Starting Over doing on the charts before Lennon's death?

5. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

In what country? I actually posted upthread the chart movements of Lennon on Billboard [US, obviously] and neither the single nor the album ever went down in the charts in the run-up to his murder.

How bout posting some facts with your opinion?

Note: it had three top ten hits on Billboard (out of three singles released). You don’t consider “Woman” and “Watching the Wheels” as legitimate “hits”?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    theMess and blutiga like this.
  7. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I think you'll find this wan't the case at all. Not in the US and certainly not in my Country? Is this from the Goldman book?

mrjinks likes this.
  8. That might have actually been interesting, especially if she used a lot of delay.

9. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

10. mrjinks

Fine, but that’s the UK. I said above I was quoting Billboard charts, and there’s no question the single/album were doing VERY well pre-Chapman. You said it wasn’t doing well and you’re a (currently) US- based member (according to profile). Wouldn’t that be the logical market for comparison? Granted, the USA is a pretty minor market for pop music... :shh:

blutiga likes this.
  11. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

That was the UK charts. Peaked at 14. Different story to the rest of the world. I must say that BeatlesBible piece on Double Fantasy sounds like it comes straight out of Goldman. Saying Lennon 'didn't have the discipline to finish any songs'... One part almost infers he couldn't get a record contract?

mrjinks likes this.
  12. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

DF was at #11 in the US before Lennon's death. It went from 25 to 12 to 11. JLSO was the only single released before his death, over a month, and it didn't hit #1 until after his death.

13. mrjinks

14. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

I'll play along :D This is my #9 Dream of a setlist

Starting Over
    Walking on Thin Ice
    Love
    I Feel Fine
    Instant Karma
    Kiss Kiss Kiss
    Help
    Jealous Guy
    I'm Moving On
    Woman
    Nobody Told Me
    Borrowed Time
    Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him
    Beautiful Boy
    Rain
    Watching the Wheels
    Hard Times Are Over

Encore
    Dizzy Miss Lizzy
    Imagine

Encore 2
    Come Together
    In My Life
    Give Peace a Chance

cyril sneer likes this.
  15. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I remember reading at the time that John said that he knew that audiences would demand “I Want to Hold Your Hand.”

blutiga likes this.
  16. Yes they were hits AD

17. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

As they used to say in Billboard parlance, "#1 with a Bullet".

18. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Totally correct; Double Fantasy was pretty exciting news in the fall of 1980 for Beatles/Lennon fans but it wasn't a monster in sales as a record album. It wasn't even Lennon's best album.

It was however John & Yoko's best album together, and a very interesting album as a dialog.

Unfortunately not a lot of folks interested John & Yoko albums at the time, dialog or not.

19. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Oh, and you can bet they would have done "Walking On Thin Ice". Lennon was ALL about that song, right up until the night he died.

When you look at the Annie Leibovitz photos taken the day he died, you can pretty much bet that the song playing in his head was "Walking On Thin Ice"; they mixed it that night.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  20. One of the great records of the 80s. Walking on Thin Ice.

21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

:tsk::tsk::tsk:

supermd and Sean like this.
  22. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I think you may be correct. This was certainly in the back of mind when I started this thread. I think I was probably in denial with my setlist in the hope we might have got a bit more of John.

23. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

24. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

The massive success came after the death of Lennon. JLSO lingered on the charts for over a month before rising to #1 after Lennon's death. The rest of the singles were released after Lennon's death.

25. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes, lingering on the charts in the top 10. Most here are agreeing the album and single were not selling in 'blockbuster' numbers and it has been pointed out why. Like I said, if you weren't there at the time you won't entirely understand the vibe of the day. It becomes a cyclical debate otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.