John Carpenter's "The Thing" is getting a 4K UHD release September 2021

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Zep Fan, Jul 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Which Blu-ray release is actually the most accurate to the original camera negative? I hear people keep saying the 4K is, the Arrow is, the Scream Factory is... Which one is the one to get? I already have the 2021 Universal 4K, 2008 Universal BD, 2017 Arrow BD, do not have the Scream Factory. Thanks.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

The Thing is my favorite horror film of all time and this thread seems to be the right place to ask.

Was there ever an extended re-release of 'The Thing'? I have a DVD version of it with deleted scenes but they're in the bonus content section, not incorporated into the film itself.

3. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

The new 4K UHD release is getting favorable reviews for its picture quality, it's the only release to use a fresh 4K scan of the OCN.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Not that I am aware of, never heard of this.

No doubt someone will pop up and say the North Korean TV version was 3 minutes longer....

5. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on Thread Starter

There's that alternate ending where Wendy... I mean Childs, is in a hospital bed and MacReady gives him an orange ping pong ball. But is was cut after initial screenings.

6. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Escape from NY had a 4k release a couple years back. They have this box set coupled with The Fog, Prince of Darkness and They Live which is what I bought. But all of them are available as stand alone releases in a number of different regions. These were out as individual releases long before Shout did their versions last year. The beauty of 4k UHD is that it's a region free format.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08L4FL7B8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Why all this talk of upgrading!! A total waste of money if you ask me. My Betamax tape has served me just fine for the last 35 years, and will continue to do so. By the way, it still looks really good on my Samsung neo QLED 75'" 4K...although, I sure had a hell of a time connecting the Betamax player.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  8. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

No, but some of those scenes were added to American television broadcasts in the early 80s, against John Carpenter’s wishes. The “television edit” has never been released outside of television syndication, probably because of Carpenter’s disapproval.

9. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I believe my Blu-ray version has the TV edit as a bonus.

10. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Yes, the Shout Factory Collector's Edition of The Thing released in 2016 features the "Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (SD)" on Disc Two.

The Thing [Collector's Edition] - Blu-ray :: Shout! Factory

[​IMG]

The Thing Blu-ray (Collector's Edition)

Zep Fan and inperson like this.
  11. One of my fav movies. The 4K looks great. A pity it was released two weeks after E.T. I have to wonder if that impacted it’s box office with two science fiction alien movies so close together.

12. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Wouldn't want to have taken the kiddies to the wrong one!!!!!!!!!!.........:yikes::faint:

Might have grown up a bit ........"weird and pi$$ed off"........:)

13. SmallDarkCloud

I missed that - thanks!

inperson likes this.
  14. SmallDarkCloud

Another interesting what-if - Tobe Hooper worked on The Thing for a bit before Carpenter came in, but decided to direct Poltergeist instead, as it was more of a sure thing and a bigger opportunity with Spielberg's production company. Hooper did get to make two great science fiction films later, anyway (Lifeforce and Invaders from Mars - yes, I love both, sorry, haters).

15. Whiskey Drinker

Whiskey Drinker Forum Resident

October 27 for the 4K release in Australia.
    Sod that.
    Overseas order locked and loaded.

16. Zep Fan

NSFW

profholt82 likes this.
  17. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Has anybody seen the 4K version that’s currently sold/rented by Itunes?

18. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

19. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Pizza and SimonSaysCake like this.
  20. mknopfler

mknopfler Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the prequel as well.

Speedmaster likes this.
  21. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Only if you can enjoy laughing at how terrible it is.

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

We saw this in the theater this evening. AMC had a "Surprise Screening" where viewers didn't know what the film would be. I haven't seen it in decades, so it was pretty much a surprise. Looked great! Obviously not comparable to current movie techniques, but it worked.

They also showed a trailer for the 50th anniversary of The Godfather, which will be opening in Dolby Cinema.

23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

24. Zep Fan

Tree in Transition

[​IMG]

profholt82, ZoSoUK, noname74 and 2 others like this.
  25. A little late to the party here, but I watched the UHD release last night, and wow! Mindblowing wow!

6.5ft away from a 77" calibrated OLED, in a pitch black room, and nobody can tell me that there's not an uptick it quality here. This release is filmic in every way, with a beautiful grain structure, nary an errant shot, but more than anything the new level of detail and the HDR grading adds a stability to the image that heretofore had been lacking.

Never did blacks crush, shadow detail was impeccable, which is saying a lot for a film that plays with light and shadow to this extreme.

I watched the UHD release of Blade Runner, also 1982, the night before, which I consider a perfect 4K score for a movie shot on film, and honestly, The Thing was every bit as good. There's a different scope between the two films, a different texture and feel, obviously, yet the shadow-play is similar, which will give your TV a workout.

It helps that the UHD averages 85 Mbps: a fabulous rate for a stellar encode.

I have read reviews and I was amazed that the reviewers gave the UHD a slightly short shrift, mostly because of soft shots, but hey, that's in the film, itself. Hell, Blade Runner (1982) goes soft from time to time, as well. I've been watching a lot of BDs and UHDs from the 1940s - 1950s, and The Thing doesn't go near as soft as they did back in the day. That's not soft. That's character! We've got anamorphic lenses, so what does one expect?

Anyhow, if you're on the fence, don't be. :) Me, I just waited until the price dropped, where I snagged it for $13 on UHD.

Linger63 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.