John Coltrane - A Love Supreme: Live in Seattle (released October 8, 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claude, Aug 26, 2021.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Absolutely! I have almost all if not all and some have been excellent as a matter of fact. The ones I'm referring to were a couple of the recent ones.

PacificOceanBlue and DrJ like this.
  2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yes, SOME OTHER TIME is a fantastic pressing, great sonics and music. The Grant Green releases SLICK and FUNK IN FRANCE sound great to me, too. Some other Resonance titles are definitely a little rough sonically, like the Charles Lloyd and some of the Wes Montgomery material, but it is very much of historical importance and valuable to die hard fans.

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Great post! Those Grant Green are two of my favorites along with the Eric Dolphy "Musical Prophet".

Sorry, back to JC chatter.

4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Does anyone have both the CD and LP release of the new Coltrane and if so, is it worth the difference in price for the vinyl? I ask because I am flat out running very short of storage space for LPs so I'm trying to be very selective about going for vinyl these days.

I mean if space and hassle were no object I'd always go for the vinyl, but that simply isn't the case unfortunately. So I ordered the CD version, should be here Tues or Weds next week.

Basically: is there an obvious difference in mastering quality/sonics that would push me to now also order the vinyl?

5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

That’s what I am debating as well.

6. rexlic

rexlic Forum Resident

[​IMG] Ad from Ethan Iverson's article.

No cover charge!

7. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

I always clean my records before I play them for the first time, and I had the same issue on side 4. So after the side finished I just played it a second time hoping that the ticks would play out. The second time was noticeably better but not as much as I had hoped, so I cleaned it a second time and it got about 80 percent better. Certainly listenable, and enjoyable, but not perfect by any stretch. Not bad enough to return and a significant improvement from the first pass.

8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The last Bill release this past summer, Behind The Dikes, is great.
    Dolphy's Musical Prophet is wonderful.

Not sure whether to try and return ALS Live in Seattle to the Jazz Center store or not, but the CD is probably a definite pick up.

frightwigwam and scotti like this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Agreed! But do you have or at least heard "Ronnie Scott's"? There should have been a disclaimer on that release. These records can be on the pricey side and I feel for the kind of money we spend, we should have a better idea going into them before we buy.

Just cleaned ALS again and the records themselves look good. Hopefully a little more quiet on my next listen. I'm in a Coltrane mood today and just pulled out my Atlantic Mono box, some awesome records in that set.

Spencer R, Erik B. and misteranderson like this.
  10. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

In context: a YouTube playlist of all the available Coltrane Seattle recordings of Sept./Oct. 1965...Live In Seattle; The Unissued Radio Broadcast; A Love Supreme: Live In Seattle; Om. [tt:4:46:20]

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfOs1ZtjYFMuBxT-jOWmlxAiafJ9wZxWS

Buy the records - they sound better. But this immersive experience is interesting, too.

11. misteranderson

Yeah, I have all the Evans Resonance vinyl, except for that killer Another Time with Jack D. and Eddie Gomez. The CD is fantastic enough, and Resonance hasn't reissued it on LP.

Ronnie Scott's is the worst of them, no doubt, but I can still use the Loki to get a little bass going, and it's not so bad then.

The worst Resonance release is LPs two and three of Rollins In Holland. Should have stayed a bootleg. It's just not official-release quality. Getz/Gilberto '76 isn't that great either, but it's still better than most of Rollins In Holland.

I'll give ALS in Seattle another try, of course. It's mostly that fourth side that bugs me. Might have to pull out the LAST and see if it does anything.

Oh, and another thing...there are light paper sleeves that are nice, like the ones Fred Thomas uses on his Sam Records releases. Why can't Impulse use them? The other part of my order was the '63 box (hard to resist for $75), and they don't use the cheapo paper sleeves for that one.

Erik B. likes this.
  12. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

Can't wait ! Even if the recording is an amateur affair, will still be amazing to get to listen to this show.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Cd it is.

14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I just got back from the record store and am giving this its first spin. I'm listening on a Bose Wave in my office and the sound is good, for what it is. I'm glad I got it on CD so I can listen to it straight through when the mood hits me. I'm never going to put this on so I can luxuriate in the sound quality (as I might do with the reissue of Ballads from last year) but the sound is good enough that I can actually get into the performance and not just "appreciate" it.

ARK, DrJ, Doggiedogma and 3 others like this.
  15. uzn007

I haven't heard the LP but I'm perfectly happy to save my LP dollars for the flood of AAA Coltrane vinyl coming out in the Acoustic Sounds series in the next few(?) months.

16. uzn007

Anyway, enough about the sound quality... this performance is wild. Very different from the Antibes performance, and very different (at least so far; I'm into Part 2) from the skronk-fest that I remember from the original Live in Seattle album. Not surprisingly, given the venue, there is a much more meditative vibe at this show, in the interludes as well as the way Coltrane eases his way into "Acknowledgement" at the top of the set. Outstanding.

17. misteranderson

I have ALS and Ballads in the AP series. Both are absolutely worth it.

Going forward, I'm tired of seeing "out of stock" and "backordered" on half the things I'm interested in, and honestly, I don't have a list of 100 albums that are must-haves. If anything, I need to go back and listen to some of the things I haven't made time for over the last 18 months.

Aoide, ARK, Swansong and 1 other person like this.
  18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ve got Crescent on pre-order, can’t wait for that one. I have a VG original, but am curious to hear the Acoustic Sounds treatment.

Erik B. and NorthNY Mark like this.
  19. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

The more i play this record, the more thankful i am to that beautiful, creative soul, superb music.

20. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

So wanting to like this; ever since I heard of this release, I was counting down the days; new Coltrane! On hearing this, I was really disappointed. Coltrane is barely audible in the 1st half. All you can hear is McCoy and Elvin. I buy a Coltrane record I do want to hear the man. Coltrane does become more audible but never up front in your face. My thanks to the person who recorded this. Glad there are other live recordings

Doggiedogma and Erik B. like this.
  21. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Good to know. So, I'll be cleaning mine twice before first play: 8:2 distilled water and alcohol brushed in and cleaned off with Audio-Technica 6012a, then distilled water smoothed around then pulled up with a vinyl vac, times two.

22. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

After reading the past pages, I couldn't wait last night and have listened to the first side on my main system. I was totally prepared to send the record back but was quite surprised about the quality of the recording. I expected something worse (better this way around, anyway..).
    Musicwise I also enjoyed it more, than I'd thought. Especially I noticed the drumming - superb to my ears. I will give it a complete listen this evening and might add a "final" (for now!) statement...

The pressing quality was OK. Very few, rather shy ticks, but nothing to worry about, really.

NeilaElap, PATB, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes:my mistake!

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I didn’t get Free Coltrane at first but I persevered and, earlier this year, the scales began to drop.

25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Some have commented on the ‘free form’ quality of EJ’s drumming and suggested he might be mistaken for Rashied Ali; but to me, it clearly EJ, obviously stretching out a bit more but still recognisably himself.