John Coltrane - A Love Supreme: Live in Seattle (released October 8, 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claude, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Amazing how “new” Coltrane material has turned up since the Coltrane & Monk at Carnegie Hall album appeared out of nowhere.

2. jabba1

jabba1 Active Member

Preordered - 37.59$ CAD now on Amazon.ca- not bad for a double LP.

Timothy Fiacco likes this.
  3. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Live In Seattle has been my favorite Trane since it originally came out in 1971. I'm hoping the Interlude sections on this new album are similarly wild & intense. There's a decent sounding 80min bootleg of outtakes from that 9/30 show, too. Wonder if Impulse has the original tapes...?

Jmoog, puelche and jay.dee like this.
  4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Strictly vinyl? Downloads?

5. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yes. Bells

6. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Very cool. Will need to check this out!

7. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

ARK, Chris Bernhardt, polchik and 6 others like this.
  8. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

9. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Mines ordered ...jumped on the CD £10.99 ($15) amz uk pre order price gtee ... would of been record but for an unexpcted BIG car bill after a breakdown ... still better something than not getting it at all

Jmoog and Timothy Fiacco like this.
  10. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Unexpected! But really excited to hear this.

11. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

“Psalm” is available on streaming sites and it’s truly breathtaking! You feel like are right in the room. This is an instant purchase.

Jcashfan likes this.
  12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Is it just me or is anyone else struggling to hear any trace of Sanders on "Psalm"? At the very end, it sounds like someone is overblowing quietly, and then there are a couple of low notes from a sax. Otherwise I don't hear him, unless he's playing that bell in the left channel. Anyone else?

Spencer R, bzfgt and jay.dee like this.
  13. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Yeah I hear him only at the end. Maybe for that quiet piece he was supposed to just hang back.

14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Of course there are few jazz musicians more marketable than Coltrane. But the tapes that have surfaced in recent years have all been radio station broadcasts kept in vaults, or privately held tapes kept in closets. Off the top of my head:
    • A Love Supreme: The Complete Masters – privately held mono reference tapes (alternate takes), radio broadcast (Antibes performance)
    • Ballads: Deluxe Edition – privately held mono reference tapes (alternate takes)
    • Monk & Coltrane at Carnegie Hall – Voice of America broadcast, kept at Library of Congress until rediscovered.
    • One Down, One Up: Live at the Half Note – radio broadcast
    • Offering: Live at Temple University – radio broadcast
    • Both Directions at Once – privately held mono reference tapes
    • Blue World - privately held mono reference tapes
    • A Love Supreme: Live in Seattle – amateur audience recording
    If I remember correctly, everything referenced here as "privately held mono reference tapes" was owned by Naima and family and kept in a closet until 2005. From the liner notes to 1963: New Directions:
    That we have [the Both Directions at Once] session at all is due to Coltrane's status as the star artist at Impulse! Records. Alongside the master, [producer Bob] Thiele would have Rudy Van Gelder run a reference tape on 1/4" tape for Coltrane to review after each session. Most of those 7" reels survived after his death, and many were initially included in a jazz memorabilia auction in 2005. The material was ultimately withdrawn, and negotiations eventually enabled Verve Records to re-acquire and issue the material.
    That's a polite way of saying Verve got the lawyers involved to stop the auction from going forward.

15. uzn007

Of course, knowing when not to play is a sign of a superior musician, but I was a little surprised that they picked such a quiet piece for the preview clip and it makes me wonder what the sound quality will be like when they're all blowing at full volume.

jsmiller, bzfgt and imsjry like this.
  16. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I can’t wait!!

17. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

bzfgt and jay.dee like this.
  18. jabba1

jabba1 Active Member

I’m guessing that it’s not a full analog release so is there an advantage of getting it on vinyl instead of CD?

19. uzn007

My guess is that it's cut from a 24-bit transfer of the original tapes, so that should allow enough "headroom" to get better sound on vinyl than on CD, but based on the clip that was posted, it doesn't sound like the source material is exactly audiophile quality.

jabba1 likes this.
  20. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Ordered both the CD and the 2LP, no-brainer.
    Quite possibly release of the year for me.

21. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Not bad, not bad at all.
    It’s some type of bells or chimes. Hard to say, but it’s not unlistenable, and I listened just once on ear buds, which typically make unpleasant high-pitched sounds even more unpleasant.
    Have to listen again, but your impression sounds right to me. I hear high bowed notes on the bass at the very end too.

Just listened again, and those low notes sound like bowed bass as well.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Brian Lux likes this.
  22. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Just ordered the vinyl from my local shop. Really excited for this release. Would be even cooler if they were able to do AAA, but the other Coltrane missing tape releases have sounded fine to me. Even that Impulse box set sounds good to me, digital cut by RKS.

PATB and Timothy Fiacco like this.
  23. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Did the Antibes performance surface on bootlegs before the Jazz Icons video was released?

24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I'm sure it did. The real discovery in 2002 was the sextet performances, with Archie Shepp and Art Davis, of the opening piece.

25. uzn007

I'm pretty sure I had a tape of the Antibes performance, taken from a (grey-market?) European release, in the late 80s.

Library Eye and misteranderson like this.