John Coltrane - A Love Supreme: Live in Seattle (released October 8, 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claude, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

There's been no real pause in Coltrane tape discoveries since his death. I wonder how much is left unissued; I would guess probably not much more, but who knows?

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  2. solent

solent Forum Resident

Surely (mono or stereo) copies of many unreleased 1966 and 1967 studio sessions have survived and are ‘hiding’ somewhere. Look at the 2 1964 mono takes of the sextet version of Acknowledgement. Who expected all 6 takes to surface a few years later in excellent stereo.

kt66brooklyn and Spencer R like this.
  3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

That clip sounds very tasty and the sound is very acceptable.

I’d agree - probably a ‘straighter’ performance than the ‘out there’ (and emotionally draining) Antibes one from 1965.

This has appeared at an opportune moment, as I’ve been listening to ALS constantly - on my twice-daily runs, in the car, etc - so I’m definitely in the market for more.

Levi's Tubs, bzfgt and Timothy Fiacco like this.
  4. Ed the Dog

Ed the Dog Forum Resident

Did anyone order through here? Is there a code for this? I went through the site and didn't see anything and nothing indicates in checkout that it's 25% off.

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

6. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

It looks like they've discounted everything Coltrane except the new release, a bit strange. An opportunity to clear some stock, I guess? At the same time, there are some really nice discounted albums there, if you don't have them ;)

7. djhurley92

djhurley92 Well-Known Member

I struggled with that sound too, it made Psalm too difficult to listen to despite a great performance. Not sure everyone hears it the same given it's not bothering many others?

I've found a tool that can fix it by selecting and removing/repairing specific frequency bands ('RX 8'). It sounds much better to me now.

Before (bright striations towards the top are the problem frequencies, which occur throughout the track):
    [​IMG]

After (problem frequencies selected and repaired/removed):
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I can't export audio from the free trial but I might invest in a one-month subscription when the album comes out to fix this, if it's present in all the tracks.

zappaien and ParloFax like this.
  8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Couldn't resist taking advantage of the '63 LP set for $75, along with the new ALS in Seattle thing.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  9. djhurley92

djhurley92 Well-Known Member

In case anyone is interested, here's a 30 second clip of Psalm with the 'bell' sound reduced (and original for comparison):

Psalm - Original
    Psalm - Repaired

Max2max likes this.
  10. anth67

Well, there's another five weeks before the official release. Perhaps you should send your sample to Impulse posthaste.

Timothy Fiacco likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

How is Offering? I never acquired it, but it has piqued my curiosity. It appears to be out of print on CD, but wondering if it is essential.

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I love it and consider it essential, but I happen to be a nut for late-period Coltrane. It’s an infamous concert where Trane reaches the limit of what he wants to express on saxophone, so at one point he pulls the horn out of his mouth and begins vocalizing while pounding his chest. He’s also joined onstage by a few amateurs, sitting in. Whether you can abide these things is up to you, of course; many hated it at the time. To me, it’s mystical message music.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's hard to enjoy for me. Definitely only for fans who enjoy Trane's most extreme and chaotic late era style.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  14. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Some one described it as being 'like cows being tortured, but in a good way'. YMMV.

ianuaditis, mcwlod, DTK and 3 others like this.
  15. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Man, I couldn't get into that one. I sold it to a friend who can handle more.. uh, "experimental" jazz, and he later sold it, too.

DTK and uzn007 like this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. Now I remember why I didn't jump on it at the time. His deep experimental phase does not resonate with me. For example, I have never been able to really get into Ascension. I respect what Coltrane was doing, and he is one of my all-time favorite artists, but those excursions are generally not for me.

17. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Heard about this in 2017 from Fuji-san (Yasuhiro Fujioka), who told me it was recorded by a young man who was a recording student at the time, so while strictly speaking an amateur recording, it should be better than that. This account seems to contradict the account that Joe Brazil made the recording. Maybe Brazil and the student recorded this together, or maybe wires got crossed at my end. Anyway, excited to hear about the release next month.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  18. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

This post on Facebook shows 2 fascinating releases on the "Blue Parrot" label, probably from the 70s, i guess there might be a lot of Coltrane surprise releases in the future.

Facebook
    Facebook
    Facebook
    Facebook

anth67 likes this.
  19. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Interesting. I’ve not heard of the Blue Parrot label; does anybody have any experience with their releases? Or familiar with these performances? Are they any good?

20. anth67

Alabama and Brazilia....nice.

21. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Archival release of the decade, yes please!:pineapple:

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It was a bootleg label - and the sources for those releasez are Half Note broadcasts.
    Most of them are one the official One Up, One Down release from a few years ago in better sound. But fun albums.

23. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

For reasons that I can't explain, I find some savage beauty in those late period concerts.
    Are there any audiophiles out there who have heard the Olatunji concert? That is maybe the most extreme of them all, wild, intense, chaotic, but a horrible recording!

Max2max, acetboy, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  24. anth67

One important (believed to be) Half Note performance not on the official release is "Chim Chim Cheree." It's on a cd titled Bye Bye Blackbird, not sure about any other grey or bootleg releases. The only live recording I know of.

Definitely '65, so Half Note makes sense. (Though the first two tracks on the above cd are from Europe Nov '62.) Would love to hear it released in One Up, One Down quality.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    DTK likes this.
  25. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Owned it on CD, listened twice, and sold it. Interesting, but couldn’t find anything enjoyable. It troubled my spirit.

ARK and danasgoodstuff like this.