John Coltrane - A Love Supreme: Live in Seattle (released October 8, 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claude, Aug 26, 2021.

1. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

A batch showed up in Toronto, for some reason (maybe it wasn't delayed in Canada?)

KDubATX and Smith like this.
  2. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

Huh! Interesting.

Honestly, I feel like I'm always the LAST guy to get his hands on stuff so I will enjoy this moment.

supernaut and d.douglas like this.
  3. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

My store in Vancouver has had copies since Monday

4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

No copies at my local indie shop today.

5. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Streaming delayed too?

Aegir likes this.
  6. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Mines due to arrive Nov 9th :waiting:

7. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

Plain paper sleeves so put aside two Mo-Fi's now lads!

Aoide, mr.dave, Dan Steele and 5 others like this.
  8. Smith

Smith I'm cyanide over you.

Yep, got mine today.

Timothy Fiacco and KDubATX like this.
  9. Impedance36

Impedance36 Forum Resident

Copies at my local in Winnipeg today. Won’t get a chance to listen until tomorrow. Solid gatefold though, looking forward to cracking it open.

10. pet_soundsations

pet_soundsations Well-Known Member

If you get a chance, could you take a peek at the dead wax for clues re: mastering and pressing plant? :)

11. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Weird. I asked my favorite record store about it today and the owner told me all she could see was Oct. 22. So it looks like Canada got it first.

In any event, I hope it's not like Craft's release of Bill Evans' On a Friday Evening. Pre-ordered it direct from Craft in April, and it never came through. Stores got it, other customers got it, but I was told they couldn't fill the order 'til this month. Found it online immediately.

12. misteranderson

I don't know how anyone could hear it and not identify it as some kind of bell.

subtr and DTK like this.
  13. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Can't wait to hear this new ALS Live in Seattle!

For several weeks now I've been listening to some late period Coltrane.
    Live in Japan and Offering The Temple University gig.
    And also The Olatunji Concert. I've probably listened to Olatunji a dozen times in a couple of weeks.

The Olatunji tape evidently was just recorded too hot. There's distortion.
    But when I put the wav files in an editor and look at them I kind of get the impression that the tape was transferred and the cd was manufactured without doing hardly anything to the audio.

Hopefully no one actually created this eq on purpose. :hide:

From 60 Hz or so up to 4000 Hz it's all at the same level. There's no slope. It's shrill sounding.
    So if you fix that and you level everything out between the two channels it starts to sound better.
    Then if you collapse the stereo spread a bit it all comes together and starts to sound pretty decent.
    Collapsing the stereo spread also fills in a couple of places where the left channel drops out. Drops out to nothing.
    The longest drop out is during the bass solo at the beginning of My Favorite Things.
    Now the bass is still leaning to the right but there's something over there in the left channel also.

Anyway, can't wait for the new one!

14. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

If it's not mentioned in any review, then it's likely not notably poor quality. That said, I have read in a couple of places that the recording was made well with good equipment.

15. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

Yeah they get into a bit in the liners. Apparently this club had two mics run from the ceiling.

Makes me wonder if there are other recordings from the venue. Does anyone know?

It says the recorder flipped the tape and thus lost some fidelity BUT means he got the whole performance.

The liners are good actually. Quite in-depth.

16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

That’s the inference I took, as well.

Plus, the excerpt featured on the online advertisement impressed me enough to make me pull the trigger.

Geordiepete likes this.
  17. misteranderson

The recent Harold Land release, Westward Bound, was also recorded at the Penthouse on different dates from’62-‘65. Quality’s good, gets slightly better across the set, and this Coltrane gig is a couple months later in 1965 than Land.

Listening to one of the ‘65 tracks from the Land set now, and it sounds great! Hopefully the whole ‘Trane thing is of similar quality.

18. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I'll take it, anything is better than this.

[​IMG]

Sheer noise from a amateur who doesn't know how to set his levels.

Dan Steele and Max2max like this.
  19. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

They used to broadcast shows from The Penthouse. In recent years, recordings by Cannonball Adderley, Wes Montgomery, Harold Land, and others have come out.

misteranderson and Robotlove like this.
  20. rexlic

rexlic Forum Resident

Chris Bernhardt, jfeldt, ARK and 8 others like this.
  21. Max2max

Max2max Forum Resident

One of the worst recordings ever made. Distortion, bad mixing, I did better by recording in the audience with basic microphones. And if you manage to listen to this horror, it gets worse throughout the show !

It's so sad when you realize the historical importance of this concert, so powerful, so intense, to be ruined by such a bad recording made while the equipment was semi-pro (dixit the liner notes).
    Shame on whoever was in charge that night :mad:

Hamhead and bzfgt like this.
  22. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Well, the Olatunji that I am listening to now is quite listenable. Still has some issues but it's easier on the ears now. Just took 15 or 20 hours of tweaking.

I'm very glad they released this because it's very important music. It needed to come out warts and all.

alakulju, Siegmund, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  23. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Here's a promising word on the audio quality from a review in The Atlantic:

Even with the three extra musicians, the group almost certainly hadn’t rehearsed the piece. If you turn the Seattle tape up, you can hear Coltrane giving directions. (The recording, while cleaned up by modern engineers, is impressively high quality for an amateur tape.) Yet the leader recedes somewhat from view, happy to give space to other musicians. Friesen described an almost magical effect of watching the group.​

supernaut, Starwanderer, JoFr and 5 others like this.
  24. misteranderson

I listened to the rest of the Harold Land recording from The Penthouse in ‘65, and it’s among the better ones that have come out in recent years on labels like Resonance. It’s not as smooth as the recent Bill Evans Behind The Dikes, but it’s very good, and Philly Joe’s drums and cymbals sound very natural.

I hope ALS live in Seattle doesn’t get pushed back any further.

Geordiepete, jay.dee and frightwigwam like this.
  25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

So, Canada is the lucky country where it comes to this release. And britain is ‘back of the queue. Why does that sound familiar….?